Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Urk! Wall paper should be outlawed.

Skryker
May 5th, 2006, 02:41 AM
I loathe the stuff! Takes hours to remove. Worse still, I can only remove down so far 'cause it's an old house with plaster walls. The last layer of wall paper will pull the plaster off with it.:mad:

So, we have to do what someone did years ago-paint over it. And it's textured, too. Don't know if it was supposed to be tweed or lizard skin, but it's ugly. Kind of a pea-green with brown flecks. And it completely covers all the walls and ceilings in 2 rooms and the hallway. Ewwwwww. :evil:

Wish we had the time, money and expertise to re-plaster the walls instead. Or drywall. Alas, we only have the budget for paint right now.

mummummum
May 5th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Sounds like grasscloth- very popular in the 40's. Not sure if you have come across this product in your "DYI decorating challenge" but there is a heavyduty wallpaper that you can apply over just about anything to provide an even, smooth texture for painting. Hope you are taking lots of b4 and after pix for bragging rights!

OntarioGreys
May 5th, 2006, 08:36 AM
tell me about it the idiot the owned my house prior applied the wallpaper directly to the drywall without priming/painting it first :mad:

Writing4Fun
May 5th, 2006, 09:53 AM
tell me about it the idiot the owned my house prior applied the wallpaper directly to the drywall without priming/painting it first :mad: Been there ... done that ... in several different houses! :evil: In my sister's first house, the wallpaper was so bad (layer upon layer upon paint upon layer upon unprimed drywall :eek: ) that it was actually easier to just put up a realy thin sheet of drywall over top of the whole mess. OK, so she lost a couple of inches in her bedroom, but that was better than losing her sanity! ;)

Bushfire2000
May 5th, 2006, 11:24 AM
My sister used to work for a realty company, and talked me into moving in to one of their properties with her (many years ago).
They told her they would pay for the paint if she and I did the work.
She spent hours removing wallpaper from the walls it was nuts there must have been 30 different patterns on the one wall.
I told her she was nuts and refused to help.
I helped her paint and I spent 8 solid hours cleaning the bathroom but if she was nuts enough to remove all that wallpaper when we were only renting she had to do it herself. And we still had to live with those huge orange daisies on the wallpaper that was in the stairwell because we couldn't reach to remove or paint it.

Lucky Rescue
May 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM
tell me about it the idiot the owned my house prior applied the wallpaper directly to the drywall without priming/painting it first

You too? The first owners of my house did the same thing, and covered every square inch of my huge kitchen in this paper.

Took me weeks of scraping, peeling postage stamp size pieces off, and steaming, then weeks more to plaster and fix all the holes left in the drywall.

If I had to do it over, I would just prime and paint right over the paper. What a nightmare.:mad:

Prin
May 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm a redoer... If you paint over wallpaper or repaper over the wall paper, in 10 years, when tastes change, you'll be even worse off then today. Better to just redo it once and forget about it later.;)

glasslass
May 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I just removed paper from 2 walls. I used a product that you spray on the paper. Let it sit for 5 mins. and then just scrape the paper off easily. It works by dissolving the glue. I was able to pull off large sheets easily. There's also a tool that perforates the paper without going all the way through to the sheetrock. It allows the product to work on the glue better.

Skryker
May 5th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the commiseration, guys! :highfive: I feel much better now. I got some Polypeel today to help with the job, and I have a stiff wire brush to use to put lots of little holes in the paper. Last night, I spent over 2 hours peeling small pieces b/c some one had applied wall paper to unfinished wooden closet doors. SIGH-2 hours on one set of bifold doors.

I would go for the thin sheets of drywall if we had more time to do this, but we're working under time issues. At least, in the upstairs apartment, it's all drywall now-no lathe and plaster walls anymore. Of course, the original paint job on some of those walls was cheap oil paint directly on drywall-no primer. Then some one before us painted latex paint directly onto the oil paint-no primer.

And my husband bought a paint sprayer today-that will speed things up a lot. Once I get rid of the wall paper, of course. :evil:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I am thinking the grass cloth would look kind of cool painted over - sort of a cool texture - I remember having it in my parents house growing up.

When we moved into our house one of the bedrooms was done with an in delible black marker they had colored all the walls with it - plus graffiti too. Then they managed to put up these hideous Venetians that were silver and black ewww!!!

It took a few coats of white paint to cover it then the yellow - the graffiti still shows through in some parts.

Skryker
May 5th, 2006, 11:00 PM
My camera is still out for repairs, so I can't entertain everyone with the History of Wallpaper, as illustrated by my house. :crazy:

The saga continues-I thought that there were only 2 layers in the dining room, and the top one was coming off really easily, so no big thing, right? WRONG! There are about 5 layers everywhere except where I peeled a test section. So we're down to the bottom layer now, before stopping for tonight. That Polypeel is great stuff!

So it goes- formerly white with little pink flowers, oddly flesh coloured textured, silver foiled with big pink and blue abstract flowers on it, blue marbled look, sketched fall tree scenes (it makes me think it's from the late 40's, from the pattern-maybe the 50's) which is the bottom layer on 2 walls, and green and yellow striped-the bottom layer on the other 2 walls. Whew!

The room with the grass paper may yet be getting drywalled. The plaster is very bad in a few places. We're number crunching now.

Skryker
May 5th, 2006, 11:04 PM
It took a few coats of white paint to cover it then the yellow - the graffiti still shows through in some parts.

The townhouse we had when I was small had ugly wallpaper on the living room wall, so just after we moved in, Mom pulled it down-to find that someone had carved Very Naughty Words into the drywall underneath. Even patched and painted, the words were still very clear, and about 3 feet high. Since we were 12, 11 and I was only 4, Mom put wallpaper back up in a hurry! :D