Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

EVO testimonial

technodoll
May 4th, 2006, 11:19 PM
ok i decided to give EVO a try, first by mixing in with my boy's regular food, and some days he gets straight EVO. well i've never seen his poops so small and so far apart on kibble before, LOL! very impressive. i feel like my poor dog is a science experiment though:

-on EVO = very small & infrequent poops
-on Go! Natural = normal-sized poop & frequency
-on Nature's Variety Beef & Barley = 4 brontosaurus-sized piles per day!

...what more proof do i need that the more grains my dog eats, the less food is digested... he better be enjoying this cuz the day he hits 3 years old (December 30th), he is going back on a 100% raw diet, just like his sister, whether he wants to or not! cuz that's what he always did best on. :angel:

Prin
May 5th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Ok... Small is ok, but it can also be a sign of not enough fiber, which can eventually lead to constipation (where the grains come in... or come out... heh heh).

That's what I learned about stool hardeners- just because the stool is small, doesn't mean what you are seeing is all there is. Without "fast" fiber moving things along, the food just stays in the colon and the only thing you see is a "healthy" stool.

I'm not saying your doggy is constipated- I'm saying that a tiny stool is not always indicative of a 100% healthy doggy. (Just keep an eye out).

shannonRN
May 5th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Why are you waiting to go back on raw? Am I missing something?

I've been feeding my kitties EVO dry plus as much Calif Natural canned as I can get them to eat (finicky little b%#$!!!), and I love it for my cats...undecided about EVO for dogs. I kinda suspect that if you were able to truly analyze actual grams of protein, carbs, and fat fed per meal with a grain-free food like EVO and with a raw diet, that they are probably pretty close, but it's not so easy to determine how they actually compare. Keep us posted :)

technodoll
May 5th, 2006, 10:33 AM
we want him back on raw, we really do, but *he* doesn't... one of the only dogs in the world who chooses cereal over meat!! :mad: because he is still growing, and we are having so much trouble getting him to eat anything the past two years, hubby and i agreed to maximise our chances of getting calories into his adolescent body by feeding him something he will eat (well, still pick at...) rather than him starve himself to skin and bones.

by age 3, he can starve himself all he wants, his growth will have been mostly set in so it's not so bad. little ***** that he is, so aggravating. he has not eaten a thing since Tuesday evening, refused 5 meals so far and you can feel his hip-bones! all he wants is milk-bone cookies! i'm about to make him feel what starvation is REALLY like.... left his breakfast on the floor this morning, if it's not gone by the time i get home tonight, i am withholding all food & treats for 24 hours. he can watch his little sister gorge her face on fresh juicy raw meat on bone. ya THINK he'll finally be hungry after 4 days of fasting??? grrrrr. (sorry we're just at our wit's end with him). :cool:

Prin
May 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
You know what? Dogs are more instinctual eaters than we are. If they are lacking something in their diet, they'll crave it and find it somewhere else. If he wants grains, maybe they have something his body needs right now and so he craves them. Maybe wolves and dogs are carnivores, but I'm sure there are a few who are omnivores because they just digest differently.;)

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Ok... Small is ok, but it can also be a sign of not enough fiber, which can eventually lead to constipation (where the grains come in... or come out... heh heh).

That's what I learned about stool hardeners- just because the stool is small, doesn't mean what you are seeing is all there is. Without "fast" fiber moving things along, the food just stays in the colon and the only thing you see is a "healthy" stool.

I'm not saying your doggy is constipated- I'm saying that a tiny stool is not always indicative of a 100% healthy doggy. (Just keep an eye out).

Potato contains fiber, just not as much as other food and raw feed also see small amount of poop as well, they digest the stuff better and what I have also noticed it breakdown in yard much easy than other foods without the strong smell, with 3 dogs in the house the difference in the amount in yard clean up is amazing in a week period, I have been feeding all 3 dogs over a year now, none have anal gland problems, or constipation as a result

Wild dogs did not graze on corn, wheat, rice and oats, they ate grasses, maybe some tubers and berries some ates fruits depending on their region and most of the animals they killed ate grazed on greens, tubers or ate berries, bark of trees and nuts, not a lot of wild prey had corn and wheat to eat.

technodoll
May 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM
so my dog has only eaten 1 cup of food the past 4 days (his last real meal was Tuesday evening). he is refusing kibble dry, mixed with his favorite treats, and seared raw meat. I'm about to strangle the little *****. he will quirt drool at the sight of a cookie and eat treats all right, he is drinking, just mopey cuz it's raining now but otherwise seems healthy (plays, pees, etc). of course with no food he has no energy anymore, just sleeping alot.

how long can a dog "starve himself" and why do they do this? no bitch in heat around as far as i know, our routine has not changed, the weather is the same as it's been the past month... i have been offering him food three times a day, leaving it down for 20 mins then picking it up. it's just not working.

any suggestions? :(

Prin
May 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Try a different food? Maybe too much variety in a diet makes for a picky doggy? What about canned?

technodoll
May 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
well... i can't win here :confused: if i offer him the same food, he gets bored. if i offer him variety, i create a picky dog. i'm just so unlucky to have one of those dogs that just don't care about food and lets himself get rib-thin :(

anyways, i'll just keep offering him meals, twice per day now, and if he chooses not to eat after 20 mins it goes in the fridge... what else can i do! he will eventually have to eat, eh? i'll concentrate my efforts on my other dog, she at least appreciates & loves her meals! thank god for her, LOL! :pawprint:

Luba
May 6th, 2006, 06:23 PM
When you say raw do you mean 'the barf' diet true 'raw' foods?

I home cook but don't use a raw food diet because I don't trust uncooked meat or veggies for dogs digestion and parasite issues as well as samonella.

Have you tried cooking the food? Making a big pot or roast pan of stew?

Try liver first, baby beef liver. Wash it and put it in a big roaster. Add to it, carrot, potato, rice and some peas as well as a can of kidney beans. Be sure there is adequate water and during the last 15mins of cooking add a good teaspoon of garlic powder.

Trust me when I say he 'will' eat this!! ;)

Luba
May 6th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I am having edit problems.... so I'll just add this on here...

Feed the above meal for 3 or 4 days but every third/fourth meal replace it with either some sardines or some salmon and rice as well as a snack of plain yogurt. This is fantastic for added calcium, and healthy gi tract.

I add a great deal of extra water to Sadie's food when cooking it then I save the stock from either the pot or the pan and I make it into ice cubes. It gives them added hydration which the colon and gut also need as well as the liver and kidneys. Some dogs don't drink very much like us, unless we are actively exercising.

Plus it's a tasty treat as well and helps to clean their teeth as they gnaw on the ice cubes!

technodoll
May 6th, 2006, 08:14 PM
i guess posting this unjinxed us, LOL! doggy FINALLY ate dinner tonight! oh where is the emoticon for Happy Dance? :D it was his kibs (2 kinds) with yogurt, salmon & half a can of wet food. he was doing the zoomies in the house for his food, up on two back feet, aroooing... what a beautiful thing, LOL! it's like his appetite suddenly just snapped back.

not only that, after inhaling about 4 cups of food, he stole his little sister's raw pork hock and is still gnawing on that as i type... i have been offering him raw pork hocks for 2 years, to no avail, he has NEVER wanted to touch one before. my dog is from another planet. :o

...Luba, I barely have time to cook for us, so cooking for a 110 lbs picky dog is just not feasible, unfortunately... If I had a dog, no problem! my little girl (6 month akita) is on a prey-model raw diet and she just loves it, in fact today she had bone-in goat for the first time and went crazy for it! Your recipe sounds really delicious btw, you are one great mom! :thumbs up

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Sunny my garbage gut boy did this to me last year around this same time, he loved to eat and then just stopped showing any interest,he does not get a lot of treats so it had nothing to do with pickiness, it did not matter what I gave him he had no interest, I first started by buying a fresh bag of kibble thinking maybe his was stale, then bought a different brand of kibble, tried all sorts of canned food, and even raw but all i could get in him to eat was about a 1/4 cup of food a day this is for an 85 lb dog. so after 1 1/2 weeks and unloading a small fortune in cash on food he would n t eat. I finally took him to the vet were they did bloodwork and x-rayed his abdomen to see if his oversized spleen itself was compressing on his stomach, they did not find any thing wrong. left with my pockets $200 lighter, later that day when I feed him he finally starts showing more interest a couple day later back to eating full portions.

Since the actual visit seem to be the cure all, next time he does the same, and it goes beyond a few days I will haul him over to the vet for a weighin, and hopefully will save some money and cure him at the same time :rolleyes:

technodoll
May 6th, 2006, 08:27 PM
oh man, am glad to see i'm not the only one with a dog from Planet W (for weird), LOL! wonder what provokes this... perhaps there is some scent of ripe female in the air that we know nothing about but it affects the boys (neutered or not, they still know the smell!)... shrug.

i hope all is back to normal now, so people will stop asking why my dog is so thin, LOL! :crazy:

Luba
May 6th, 2006, 10:21 PM
You sound like a great mama as well :angel:

I'm glad today went better YAY!! You could always toss a can of sardines or salmon in the diet every day or every other day that would do wonders!!