Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much supplementation is too much?

SunGurl372
May 4th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I've recently switched Harley over to Timberwolf Organics. While I had her on Solid Gold Wolf King, I was supplementing with Solid Gold SeaMeal.

Harley has horrid shedding issues, tempered by good foods, but still very much present. So I'm always looking for ways to improve the health of her coat and skin.

I've ordered a supplement that Timberwolf sells for their foods, ingredients follow:

Chicken Liver Amino Peptides (Hypoallergenic, extremely digestible, a source of linoleic acid, B - vitamins, amino acids), Whole Ground Flax Seed, Fish Amino Peptides (Hypoallergenic, extremely digestible, high in amino acids, DHA & EPA), Egg (Extremely digestible, a source of sulfur amino acids, B - vitamins, linoleic essential fatty acids), Sun dried Seaweed (Different seaweeds of the green, red, yellow & brown classifications), Glucosomine, Dried Goat’s Milk (A source of sulfur containing amino acids), Nutritional Yeast (High in B - vitamins, amino acids, chromium), Lecithin (A source of choline), Bee Pollen micronutrients & enzymes), Dried Carrot Powder (Source of over 500 carotenoids, lycopene), Papain (A source of protease enzyme), Dehydrated Alfalfa Leaf, Whole Fine Ground Almonds, Salmon Oil (A source of omega - 3s, DHA & EPA), Cumin (Antiviral, anti-inflamatory, a source of antioxidants,cucomins), Dried Apples, Spirulina (A source of concentrated micronutrients), Pancreatin 8x (A source of pancreas extract & protease enzyme), MSM (A source of highly bioavailable form of sulfur), Chicory Root Extract (A source of prebiotics & fructoligosaccarides to aid in growth of beneficial bacteria), Dried Figs, Dried Dates, Red Raspberry Leaves, Turmeric (A source of antioxidants,turmerin), Lactobacillus acidophilus (Probiotic, a source of enzymes), Lactobacillus casei (Probiotic, a source of enzymes), Lactobacillus lactis (A source of enzymes), Bacillus bifidum (Probiotic, a source of enzymes, DNA Polymerase), Steptococcus diacetilactis (Probiotic, a source of enzymes), Bacillus subtillus (Probiotic, a source of enzymes), Yucca Schidigera Extract (Binds with ammonia & nitrogen in waste to reduce odor), Tuna Oil, Rosemary, Sage, Taurine.

Now, they also sell a pure Wild Salmon Fish Oil, and I haven't seen anything on their site about how to integrate these different supplements.

So if I use the supplement above, do you think adding the Salmon Oil would be a benefit, or would be just too much????

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 07:30 PM
From what I've read, there can never be too much supplementation of omega-3 fatty acids... Since the supplement has linoleic acid too (from at least two sources- egg and chicken liver, which is #1), that counters the omega-3 in a bad way, so maybe more omega 3 is better.

SunGurl372
May 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM
It's so great to have people like you here, Prin! Every bit of advice you've given me has worked out so well.

After we work through the first 33lb. bag of Timberwolf Dakota Bison, I'm going to start moving to blending the Bison with the Ocean Blue. I'd love to get her completely on a fish based food. Just to see what happens.

I also think I'm going to go ahead and order the Salmon oil, and combine it with their "dry" supplement (I emphasize that because they specifically state it must be refrigerated after opening).

As long as I do it nice and slow, I'm certain I'll see any benefits or issues as they arise.

Luba
May 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM
You are better off just feeding whole foods instead of supplements.

Why not add some fish to the diet directly. I have home cooked for years and I will never go back to dog food, no matter what brand.

Even if you replace one meal a day with a fresh food meal it's better then nothing!

SunGurl372
May 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Luba - I'd love to feed her whole foods...but honestly, I don't even have time to do that for myself, and struggle regularly to do that for my son.

I recently took a new position within my company, which has evolved into me typically working 9:00 - 6:00, then back online by 9:00 at night, to anywhere between 12:00 to 2:00pm.

I really have my fingers crossed that this won't continue, but right now, I have to be very reactive to my environment and responsibilities.

All my free time is dedicated to playing with the human kid and fur kid, so not much time for the niceties of home cooking!

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM
If you switch to the fishy food, you probably won't need the fish oil then...;)

ILoveMutts!
May 6th, 2006, 10:37 AM
EPA & DHA are very good for the coat, but how much of them is in that supplement?

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2006, 12:17 PM
From what I've read, there can never be too much supplementation of omega-3 fatty acids... Since the supplement has linoleic acid too (from at least two sources- egg and chicken liver, which is #1), that counters the omega-3 in a bad way, so maybe more omega 3 is better.

I will disagree, only because I have a dog that it is prescribed for due to a medical condtion she is currently at a maximum of 1000mg as a supplement.

for a healthy dog I know if I found the right food for them by the condition of their coat improved, I tried before trying to do supplementation of all sorts of products and oils(like flax, salmon oil, vitamin E, saflower, olive, raw eggs with poor or little results, what I started realizing after a while it was not just the amount of fatty acids but the ratios of the different types of fatty acids that had a greater impact and individual dogs may need different ratios, for example Sunny had the very best coat condition on Canidae which has OMEGA-3, OMEGA-6 - Fatty acids - (Ratio 5:1), his white hairs took on a translucent look that literally sparkled when in sunlight and he rarely shedded , but because of weight issue related to grains I took him off, with Callie her coat went very soft and silky, and her skin which was affected by hypotjhyroidism and was leathery softened up. but with Maya ratios did not work with her and her coat went dull and flakey her ideal food is Eagle Pack holistique Omega-6: Omega-3 Fatty Acidsóratio 6:3
, I wanted to have all the dog on just one food due to Sunny's grain issues I went to innova EVO their coats are not as great as with their most agreeable food coat wise , but they are nothing to complain about either as there is no dryness or flakiness and their coats shine except when Maya's lupus flares up which will cause her to go flaky then I mix Evo and Eagle Pack 1/2 and 1/2 till it settles down and her coat looks healthy again.