Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Black Fly Season

doggy lover
May 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM
We were up north last weekend and the black flies had started biting. I noticed them biting in Tucker's ears and sprayed him with Skintastic, I imagine it would be ok as you can use it on children. I have noticed he still has bites on his tummy that is still itchy, maybe some Benadryl will help, I'll have to go to the drug store and get some. I use to use it on my last dog for his allergies, so I'll just watch the dosage as Tucker is smaller.

Do any of you have better ideas for keeping black flies away from your pets? I kept applying the Skintastic but it seems that they still bit him. I tried to keep him in near dusk and dawn when they are the worse, but Tucker wanted out and kept going into the bush where they hang out. Any better ideas would be appreciated.

Toonces
May 4th, 2006, 04:58 PM
We were talking about this at work today, a lady I know has horses and uses noxema on them, she said it has the same ingerdients as the stuff she gets at the tac shop but much cheaper, I looked on the net and it says it is also good for dogs to keep the peskies away. We have a tone of black flies and skeeters here, can't even sit outside:o

doggy lover
May 5th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks thats a great idea, I don't really like using bug spray on him but as its for kids it should be ok. But I'll give this one a try, any other ideas out there? What about for mosquitoes does it work the same?

Toonces
May 6th, 2006, 08:15 AM
She says it woks for all bugs. I got this stuff from the vet last year called Bush Splash. It works well but it leaves your dogs coat with an oily residue.

I also saw something that said to tie a bounce sheet to your dogs collar and the bugs will stay away, don't know how the dog would feel about that tho

phoenix
May 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I used to use bounce sheets tied to my horses' halters- worked really well. I like the noxema idea! vaseline works on ears- doesn't repel them but they don't land since its thick and they stick to it.

Toonces
May 10th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I got this recipe out of my Canadian Living mag today, I made some and will have to wait untill tomorrow to see if it works.

2 lemons sliced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 cup hot water

Let stand for 24 hrs

Mist dogs with it, be sure not to get near the eyes.