Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Allergy season is upon us (me)...WHAT TO DO!?!?!

HunterXHunter
May 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
\being desperate_plead_for_help

Any members here have allergies? Specifically to grass, and it causes their eyes to get red, itchy, and the inner eyelids to swell up and it feels like you got an eyelash in ur eye but you can never get it out!?

That's how my eyes fee every mid-April to mid-July and this year it just seems 83570892759823457892345729385 times worse because I'm out near the grass more from walking Hunter (don't worry, I don't plan on giving him up because of this :thumbs up ). I'm already exceeding the maximum recommended dosage of my allergy eyedrops practically every other day!!!!

So I'm wondering if any members here know of a good cure for what I got!?!? Please help!!!

\end desperate_plead_for_help

meb999
May 4th, 2006, 05:43 PM
My allergies were BAAAAAAAADD! I had really bad ragweed allergies, they got progressevely worse over the course of a few years, until 3 years ago, I had to take a whole month off work because my eyes were swollen shut.

I found a cure -- the only thing that's ever worked for me (and I tried every prescription medication and over the counter remedy!!) -- I got the allergy shots. You have to get them prescribed by an allergist. They give you a shot a week for like 12 weeks in a row (right before allergy season). They basically inject you with the allergen really diluted and then every week they increase the concentration of the allergen (does that make any sense?? 'cause it made sense in my head...)
The last few shots were the worse...my arm would swell up like a balloon. But I gotta tell I did it 2 years in a row and I've been almost symptom free. This is the first year I'm not getting the shots (my allergist says you need the treatment 2 or 3 years in a row, then you can take a few years off...)...and no symptoms yet (although it's not quite ragweed season yet...)

SnowDancer
May 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM
I am suffering right along with you. I am not able to take anti-histamine or decongestant - so colds and flu are the devil as well. I did try the allergy shots but had the anticipated reaction - started to have trouble breathing. Should you try the shots - and remember you have to start them before allergy season, you ABSOLUTELY MUST wait the 20 minutes at the doctor's office after the shot just in case you should have a reaction and cease breathing. It doesn't matter if you have been getting the shots for 20 years -still 20 minutes. Former co-worker's father had received the shots for many years so decided one day that he didn't need to wait the 20 minutes - well, Murphy's Law being what it is, he stopped breathing. Fortunately he wasn't far from his doctor's office and survived. Co-worker started taking shots and had to stop after 2nd one. So we will suffer together. Unfortunately I am also a mosquito - heck a bug magnet - and also can't use repellant - but sure make a great personal repellant for others just by standing there. A bee sat on my Eskimo's nose the other day but fortunately flew off before he could take action and the bee sting me. I have Benadryl ready for him, just in case. Hope you feel better soon. Very happy that I do not wear contacts.

HunterXHunter
May 4th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hmm...I've had the shots when I was much younger (gr. 7? 8 maybe?) but it was only 3 shots and it didn't help all that much...although back then my allergies wasn't THIS bad...*sigh*...

Well, I'm gonna make an appt. to see my allergiest and see what he says. I wouldn't mind taking those shots, but...am I too late :confused: coz allergy season already started for me...:(

meb999
May 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Hmm...I've had the shots when I was much younger (gr. 7? 8 maybe?) but it was only 3 shots and it didn't help all that much...although back then my allergies wasn't THIS bad...*sigh*...

Well, I'm gonna make an appt. to see my allergiest and see what he says. I wouldn't mind taking those shots, but...am I too late :confused: coz allergy season already started for me...:(

Might be too late for this year, but maybe you could start them next year. I recommend going to your allergist anyways, they're really up to date on the new prescription anti-hystamines (I took them for a few years before having to take the shots -- and they worked really well...for awhile....)

The problem with allergies is that they get progressively worse...

LibbyP
May 4th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Hi there, I feel ALL your pain, I didn't have any allergies/asthma until I turned 16yrs old, some times it would get so bad I couldn't even get out of bed:sick: , and nothing helped, until three trips to emerg last fall. The Dr's set me up with a great allergist who set me up with a great program. Nasonex,Symbicort and Singulair and let me tell you it has been a god send:angel: I have not had one single attack this year so far(knock on wood) no watery eyes no non stop runny nose no weezing(no other inhalers needed) nothing its awesome, hope this helps, but I do hope you have a drug plan, Dr only gave me a 50/50 that the shots would work for me so thats why I went this route, so glad I did

meb999
May 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Dr only gave me a 50/50 that the shots would work for me so thats why I went this route, so glad I did

Yeah...the shots are like a last resort. I got them only AFTER all the perscription meds stopped working (and my eyes sealed shut!! :eek:)

LibbyP
May 4th, 2006, 11:25 PM
ya the Dr told me I HAD to get rid of my pets - I just chuckled at him and said not happening, so he then said okay when they go don't replace, sorry it's already been done I'm not going to be a pet free home and my daughter has allergies/asthma and she's not going to live without pets either - sorry. All I have to say is I'm so happy now that I can see and breath:thumbs up

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Hey, that's part of some of the useless stats I know:
On average, 66% of allergy sufferers who are allergic to their pets refuse to give up their animals and of those 66%, 90% will get another animal when that one dies....