Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is neurotic!

JavaBean
May 4th, 2006, 02:40 PM
My doberman, Cash, is 8.5 yrs. old and the biggest baby. He is afraid of thunder and any other strange noises (like a pager or cell phone). He will go hide outside under the deck in the middle of a thunderstorm even though he is scared. If he is inside with me, he just shakes and paces and does not know what to do with himself. I think he is too old to try to get him over these fears, so the best I can do is stay calm myself and hope he does too.

About 2 weeks ago, he went for his rabies shot which he has had several times. This time it seemed to bother him to the point where he would not lay down. He would start to put his butt toward the floor and then quickly stand back up and run somewhere (as if to run away from the pain?). He showed his teeth and lunged at the other dogs too (rare ocurrence). He is a couch potato (he has his own) but he wouldn't even lay on the couch. 18 hours later when I got up the next morning, he was still standing! I put both my arms under his chest and he let every bit of his weight onto my arms, he was so tired and I'm sure his legs had to hurt. He weighs 85 lbs. and I am only 120 lbs. and I had to kind of guide him to the couch, lift him up onto it and he passed out cold!

Is my dog senile? My girlfriend thinks he is getting crazy in his old age and is concerned that he would lunge or bite even more if he does not understand a situation or something.

Has anyone ever heard of such behavior?

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 06:09 PM
My old dobie had irrational behavior when he was scared too. But the behavior with the shot is super bizarre... I think you should talk to your vet about possible complications with the vaccine because I never heard of a dog acting like that before. Good luck.:fingerscr

rainbow
May 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I would definitely take Cash to the vet as it is possible he's had a reaction to the rabies shot. Please let us know.:pawprint: