Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Suggestion/Idea's for a companian animal for my toy poodle

Daizy
May 4th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I've been thinking for a while of getting a companian for my toy poodle other than just me! I am wondering what experiences/suggestions any of you have as to what type of animal - I was thinking of rabbit and apologies to cat lover's but I'm not too keen though Daisy seems to like them when we visit friends with cats! Thanks for your thoughts :)

SarahLynn123
May 4th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I would say get another small dog for companionship. I have 3 dogs and a cat, and 2 of the dogs play all the time! Unfortunatly the cat and our smallest dog try to play but dont understand the other and end up getting scared and hiding from eachother.

For example the cat will hide and watch the dog (a pomeranian), sneak up on him and pounse him, the dog runs away and hides under the bed. Later on, the cat is minding his own buisness and the pom runs up to him and turns around so the cat will chase him and the cat just runs up stairs and hides under the bed, so the pom chases him there.

They dont understand each others language at all. I dont know much about bunnies or your dog, but bunnies and other small animals are fun to chase at my place. (I dont allow this but when we walk and they see one, they try to chase the poor thing!)

jessi76
May 4th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I had a dwarf lop, a border collie mix, and a cat all at the same time when I was younger - they were all GREAT friends. we let them all run & hop around together, supervised of course. it was great!

Daizy
May 4th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the idea's.... I am looking at rescue websites and visited the humane society today, I saw a lovely rabbit and I have enquiered about a Shih tzu puppy that is blind & partially deaf that ... I know the small dog idea would work and its great to hear from your experience that rabbits and dogs do get on. Thanks again.

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Just be aware that rabbits will chew up stuff in your house - including wires and such. Rabbits, despite their reputation for gentleness, can deliver quite a powerful kick if they wish.

I think another small dog might be the best companion for your doggie!:)

Shaykeija
May 4th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I have a Terri poo (toy) and a Shih Tzu. They play all the time and are good buddies. Bless you for looking into adopting a special needs Shih Tzu. They are 100 % love bugs.

Karyn2211
May 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Try to get a dog that is very close in size and weight as your toy poodle. If you are thinking of rescuing a dog, ask about it's socialization skills with other dogs. A blind & partially deaf dog might get scared, but again it may get use to your pet since it's a puppy. Depending on your dog's age it might not react the way you expect with a puppy around.
Good luck.

K.

DRN
May 8th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Gosh, I hate to sound a negative note but I am wary of mixing species unless they start off together as babies and you watch them carefully. Like the cat and dog story above, they have different instincts that might not mesh.

Our neighbor bought a rabbit and left their dog with the rabbit for a few minutes one afternoon. Their dog chewed the rabbit's ears and the rabbit died from the shock. This may be a really rare event - or not, I don't know - but I would be wary of combining dogs and rabbits.

erykah1310
May 8th, 2006, 06:10 AM
I too would be worried about adding a rabbit. they make wonderful pets i must say, however yes they can chew ANYTHING and do! They require lots of grooming and roughage in their diets. ( Timothy hay)
There is alot of pros and cons to rabbits but I would make sure that the dog is good with rabbits, since they have a strong "flight" response, a dog with chase behavior could injure the rabbit. To the dog its "FUN" to chase!!! around here kita loves her bunnies but Meik has been known to just up and chase them around periodically.

On the plus side, Rabbits are easily litter trained, I'd say medium maintenance ( depending on breed, sex ect)
If you do decide on a rabbit , PM me and i can email you the information packages that I send my rabbits to new homes with. Very informative and there is a few little things I didnt even know about until the vet sat me down and informed me of!
Good luck with your search.

Daizy
May 8th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks everyone for all your replies & advise. Well ... I got a 15 week Apricot toy/mini poodle. Apparently she is a large toy, small mini. She is adorable and Daisy loves her - which of course is such a relief as it would have been awful otherwise. She is off to the vets on Wednesday for a check up and last set of shots and I'm just getting her added to Daisy's insurance, just in case of any unforeseen medical problems ...... I'll try to attach a picture of each.

Daizy
May 8th, 2006, 09:24 AM
A very cuddle Buttercup

Daizy
May 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM
And of course Daisy

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Awww, such cute little babies.:angel: Glad to hear they get along well.