Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Building new dog pen- ground cover suggestions?

Bushfire2000
May 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I have to build a new fenced area for my dogs. I have the fencing/gate, etc. I'm really just relocating the old one. However I want to put something other than grass in the pen any suggestions? It's too hard to mow the lawn inside the pen. And long grass attracts ticks, etc. The dogs are for the most part very small and don't wear the grass down.

What do you think of gravel?

This is not a place for them to live long term, just a safe place to leave them if I have to be away for a prolonged time. If I have to goto work and no one else will be home, I don't want to leave them in the house, especially as the weather gets nicer. They will have shelter/shade, water, toys etc.

Suggestions welcomed.

Lise
May 4th, 2006, 09:54 AM
For the kennels outside runs they are on a cement slab.It is easier to clean and easier on the feet than gravel.

Bushfire2000
May 4th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks Lise. I had thought of cement but I know that we will be moving the pen yet again in the future and cement makes it too permanent. What about half and half. Half gravel half grass of course they would probably just stay on the grass. I had also thought of using a whipper snipper to cut the grass but it's going to be too far from an electrical source to use ours.

jessi76
May 4th, 2006, 10:11 AM
What do you think of gravel?

This is not a place for them to live long term, just a safe place to leave them if I have to be away for a prolonged time. If I have to goto work and no one else will be home, I don't want to leave them in the house, especially as the weather gets nicer. They will have shelter/shade, water, toys etc.

Suggestions welcomed.

I personally wouldn't subject my dog to gravel. I prefer grass, where it's easy to clean up the doggy-doo and comfortable for the dog to lay on.... but if you can't mow, I'd suggest a softer pea-stone, or a mulch, with areas of grass that could be trimmed w/ just a weed whacker.

ETA: there are gas powered weed whackers available, and also some that you just swing back & forth, no power needed. I have both. Even the no power one works good (granted, my bf swings it cause he's a bit stronger, but it does work)

Additionally, I think it's crazy to leave animals outside while you're away for a "prolonged time" as you say. too much CAN go wrong. Dogs can get out - jumping, digging, etc.... they can ingest something they shouldn't, they can bark nonstop resulting in very disturbed neighbors, they can be harrassed by passerby's and neighborhood kids, they can be LET OUT of their pen, they could choke on something (you don't even know how many times my dog has chewed up a stick and gotten pieces stuck in his mouth)..., there could be a storm (thunder can really FREAK a dog out)... this list could go on.

I FIRMLY believe the safest place for your pets while you are away for PROLONGED amounts of time, is INSIDE the house, safe & sound.

Bushfire2000
May 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Additionally, I think it's crazy to leave animals outside while you're away for a "prolonged time" as you say. too much CAN go wrong. Dogs can get out - jumping, digging, etc.... they can ingest something they shouldn't, they can bark nonstop resulting in very disturbed neighbors, they can be harrassed by passerby's and neighborhood kids, they can be LET OUT of their pen, they could choke on something (you don't even know how many times my dog has chewed up a stick and gotten pieces stuck in his mouth)..., there could be a storm (thunder can really FREAK a dog out)... this list could go on.

I FIRMLY believe the safest place for your pets while you are away for PROLONGED amounts of time, is INSIDE the house, safe & sound.

First Thank you for your suggestions regarding whipper snippers, etc.

I agree that the safest place would be inside.
But that is not possible.
I don't think I will have many of the problems you have listed. No neighbors for miles, the pen will not be in sight from the road. The pen will be very well protected I am putting a lid/netting overtop for protection. There should be no foreign objects inside because if I didn't put it there no one else is able to. As for digging/jumping. Well jumping won't happen and digging is a concern but I plan to sink the fence into the ground or sink boards into the ground to help prevent this.

Confining my dogs to the house for hours is not a smart idea. Providing them with a SAFE area to be is my goal.

Bushfire2000
May 4th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I'm not mistreating my pets. And I have no intention of doing so.

My goal is to make a safe enviroment for the dogs.

All I asked was do you have any suggestions for flooring for a dog pen.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "prolonged" that might have been what set people off. But I also said "not a place for them to live long term"

Chill a little.

LibbyP
May 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM
just a thought, you are thinking of cement but that is too permanent, why not try a few patio stones, I do agree that some grass is needed, when we had our dog run that's what we did, put down patio stones and then the other half was grass, somewhere cool for them to stretch out and sun bath if they wanted to:pawprint: let us know what you decide, I DON'T think it's wrong for them to stay in a safe enviroment while you are there or gone, when in fact it keeps them happy and out of trouble which will also make you in turn happy

jessi76
May 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM
well you obviously know your own dogs best, and I'm glad the potential problems I listed wouldn't be much of a concern in your area. You're lucky! In my neighborhood, I worry about all of the above.

are your dogs destructive in the house when left alone? or is there another reason you feel it's best for them to be outside? (I'm just curious, not trying to pursuade you one way or the other anymore ;) )

as for the digging... we just created a pen for our dog - we used the coated wire stapled to big posts, and instead of sinking the wire into the ground, we just bent it at ground level. we got 5ft fencing, so after bending 1ft at the ground level, it's a 4ft fence. this made it so my dog couldn't dig at the fence line. just a suggestion.

LibbyP
May 4th, 2006, 11:19 AM
oh ya I forgot, if you don't have digger's - YA HOO for you:thumbs up , we were not as lucky with our one girl, we put one line of railway ties along the the fence line and this stopped everything (of course then she would just dig in the middle of the pen, which drove us crazy. But if you don't then nothing to worry about

OntarioGreys
May 4th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Some options are smooth round pea gravel, flat round river stones, sand is used in many large greyhound kennels,

Corrie
May 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Bushfire2000, I am afraid that I too have to agree with Jessi76...a pen is no place for a beloved pet...perhaps that is why you are getting the responses you have been. It's hard for folks to recommend a flooring material for something that most dog owners are against. :(

mafiaprincess
May 4th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I have an afghan breeder friend who has pavers (patio stones) as the floor to her giant out door run for her canine crew. She says it's easy to pick up poop, and easy to wash down if need be.

Luba
May 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Concrete and stones to walk, play on can cause painful splitting pads and pressure sores when they lay down.

While I do not agree in pens, if you are going to do it anyway atleast do it right.

Pea Gravel and / some paving stones on 1/2 of the pen and the other half grass.

les
May 4th, 2006, 04:47 PM
LOL My bf and I just set up a dog run in the backyard last night and I too am debating what to put in it. I'm thinking half patio stones, half mulch .. right now it's all dirt - which might actually be okay for some of it.

Personally, I don't see what all the commotion is about. As long as your pets are safe in the area it's not really much different then in the house - I don't see how keeping a dog in a crate is any more humane then in a dog run. (provided it has the basic necessities and we're talking short term)

Yeah, if I was in the "city" I wouldn't even consider it with all the wackos out nowadays so maybe that's what people are thinking - I do, however have 2 neighbours beside my house and a field behind me. My backyard is fenced with 2 gates that both have padlocks on them because of the pool. And the run has a gate latch that will have another padlock attached to it (because I am a little paranoid about my babies ;) )

Basically my reason for this pen so they won't have to be locked in the house when I do errands - with the hot weather I don't want them in the car either. So I'm looking at probably around 1 - 4 hours in the run. They too will have shade, water, toys and a couple of heavy duty blankets to sit on.

Sort of the same feeling I got from Bushfire's post and I don't see anything wrong with that. I mean, lots of "what ifs" could happen in the house too.

Now, my only concern is thunder ... I'll have to make sure to check the weather because my one is terrified of the sounds! :)

So my list is still a little long ... patio stones, mulch, dirt - sand sounded interesting too ... lol ... I can just picture them disgustingly dirty after rolling around in it!! :eek:

Luba
May 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Be careful with mulch, some is made with coacoa shells and it toxic to dogs, others are presprayed with harmful pesticides and herbicides and then many contain dye colouring.

les
May 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I'm not exactly sure mulch is the right word for what I mean ... I'm thinking like the wood chips they have at some dog parks - - would that be considered mulch?

Thanks for the tip about it =)

Luba
May 4th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Yup the wood chips are mulch.

Many are also made from recycled pressure treated wood which contains arsenic and that's why they removed them from all the childrens playgrounds.

You would also have to worry about splinters. It's really much safer to put down sod.

Bushfire2000
May 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Thank you for your responses.

The dogs are not destructive in the house, however it is not logical for me to expect them to hold their business until I or someone else gets home and they do not like to use pee pads. They get very distressed. I feel that leaving them outside in a safe pen is the way to eleviate their stress. I've done it for years without any problems. In fact it was a great solution to other problems.

I belive that a combination of patio blocks and grass is the way to go. I do have a digger but she's trying to get to china, not to get out of the pen and that helpful suggestion of railroad ties should solve that problem.

les thank you for a supportive word.

les
May 4th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah you might be right .. I'd have to be in there every week cutting the grass with the scissors .... I ran into 6 ticks between last Friday and Sunday .. and 2 were on me!!! :eek: I've never seen one before and if I never see one again I'll be quite happy!

Do ticks like grass? Like dry grass - - not dead but not wet. I really need to do some more research on ticks I think!!!

les
May 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Bushfire - - That's my reason too. I work from home and therefore my dogs are used to being able to go outside when they need too all day long and so even though they are house trained I feel bad to leave them for very long without access to the "bathroom"

Even when I am home now the dogs love to sit on the grass in the backyard or lay on the deck and watch the birds.

LOL I also have a digger - - same thing .. going to China but she stops once she has a hole big enough to lie in!!

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 07:19 PM
If you have to do it, I'd say use the tiny round gravel but still keep a part of it grassy- even if it dies quickly, It can give them a break from the gravel. Gravel is tiring.

I wouldn't use cement unless you paint it with enamel paint first because raw cement is porous and the minute one dog gets an illness in there, the cement will soak it up and keep transferring it to all of them.

I hope you're going to put in a roof, in case it rains (even when you're not home), and a gigantic, non-tipable water dish or two.

And I hope you still give them enough contact during the day so they don't get anti-social.

Bushfire2000
May 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Don't worry guys. This is just for the one or two days a month, that I have to work, that are also days that my husband and kids are not around to let the dogs out at reasonable times.

Prin I'm going to put a top on the pen either wire or net to keep birds from bothering them. They will have a doghouse and a sunshade along with plenty of water.

The only reason I don't want it to be all grass is that they aren't in there long enough to wear the grass down and I can't get the mower in to cut the grass. Also too much grass atracts ticks. We keep the grass short here.

les
May 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
LOL I know there's alot of posts but did you actually read them?? At all??

Do your dogs get anti-social when you leave them to go to school/store/work? It's the same time frame I'm (we're) talking about! Not living out there!! :p

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM
LOL I know there's alot of posts but did you actually read them?? At all??

Do your dogs get anti-social when you leave them to go to school/store/work? It's the same time frame I'm (we're) talking about! Not living out there!! Actually, the OP was suggesting a longer period than my dogs would ever be alone, so yes, the risk of becoming antisocial is higher. My limit is 4 hours for my dogs, so there would never be a need for them to be outside in a pen all day alone because they were alone too long for their kidneys to stand. ;)

What's wrong with hoping that a dog will not be neglected? Sometimes, out of sight means out of mind and people get used to the idea of their dogs being out "safe" and the house being quiet. That's just how it is. You both might be different than the overwhelming majority who pen their dogs and don't give a **** about them, but how will I ever know that? So I'm going to hope for it. Okay?

And you compared it with crating, which is not the same at all. I don't crate, but it is my understanding that a crate is a safe place for a dog- a sheltered, warm place indoors without any possibility of outsiders intruding. Not the same outside in a pen all alone. If you run around this site, you'll find that the only dogs we see here who were poisoned in pens were in the country, not in the city. People thought their dog was safe because nobody was around for miles and nobody could see the pen etc etc, only to come home to an either dying or dead pet.

Most people here won't agree with keeping a dog outside. Most people here believe that a dog is a member of the pack and would rather hire a dog walker to come walk the dog on the days you can't be there in time than to leave them outside alone for hours and hours. Most people here don't trust people enough to leave their dogs outside vulnerable to whomever should pass by.

So ya, I read the posts before. And I basically answered the same thing as this, only nicer and shorter. Betcha prefer the shorter version, eh?;)

LibbyP
May 4th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Let me start off by saying I'm not trying to p*** anyone off or pick sides:angel: But I think this is getting alittle out of hand, I don't think either Bushfire2000, and les are planning on leaving their very much loved pets out there in the dog run for hours/days/months. Yes there are people that would abuse the situation but... I don't think those types of people would be asking for advice they'd just do it and be done with it. Some people it is just not feasible to have someone come in and walk their dog if they've only gone to run errands, what we did for water is secure a large bucket to the side of the pen, put a smaller but still large bucket inside that one so you could take it out to clean and non tipping. :pawprint:

Writing4Fun
May 4th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Whether Les or Bushfire intend to leave their dogs outside for a few hours or a few months, these comments need to be said. This site is visited by thousands of people per day who never bother to register and ask questions. They just review these types of posts and pick out the information that suits their needs. So, had it been left at "Use this type of ground cover", a stranger could have come on here, read the comment, and thought, "OK, so if I use that kind of ground cover, my dog should be good out there by herself all day and night, every day for the rest of her life." Believe it or not, there are LOTS of people who would totally believe that. As a matter of fact, I had a very heated arguement with someone on another board because she thought it was perfectly fine to leave her dog unattended outdoors all day and night ("but she can come into the garage through her doggie door if she gets cold") with nothing to protect her except an underground fence and said doggie door. When I mentioned coyotes, I was literally laughed at. "Heck no! There are no coyotes on my 40 acres of land! I've never lost a dog to them yet!" :rolleyes: So, if Les and Bushfire have no intention of leaving their pets outdoors forever, then they can assume that the comments are not meant for them. In the mean time, all such comments IMHO need to be clarified for the sake of the lurkers and newbies out there. ;)

LibbyP
May 4th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Writing4Fun, like I said before I was not trying to p*** off anyone or pick sides, I knew right from the beginning that I should have just kept my mouth shut... maybe next time I will:sorry:

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
LibbyP, I don't understand why you are making it seem like we're all attacking. :confused: W4F's post is anything but attacking.:confused:

LibbyP
May 4th, 2006, 11:10 PM
No no no I'm just saying I see both sides,yes you like to keep your pets inside where its safe,and not just shoved into the backyard with no love but I don't think thats what Bushfire2000 & les are talking about (I) think that it is okay to keep them outside in a safe enviroment(dog run/pen) if needed for short periods, do I keep my dogs now out in a dog pen - no - but I do keep them out in the backyard or deck for as long as they are happy. Prin and Writing4Fun I don't think anyone is attacking I think it's just a hot topic that has lots of views, that not everyone is going to agree on, I just want to make sure I don't offend anyone as I am a newbie here:)

t.pettet
May 4th, 2006, 11:25 PM
My entire fenced-in yard is grass except for patio stone path about 10 ft. long but I would never personally leave my dogs outside unattended, even if I'm only gone for 15 minutes, they're secure in the locked house and if I have to clean up a piddle/poop or such so-be-it, atleast I know they're secure.

mummummum
May 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I wonder if your local nursery might have some suggestions for a low lying clover of some sort which requires little or no maintenance. That is, as long as spreading isn't a concern for you or you can weed-wack easily around their pen.

mummummum
May 5th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Just had another thought - when the kiddles (the two legged variety) were little I bought a bunch of those inter-locking foam mats to cover up my carpet when they came over for the weekend. They are non-slip, non-toxic and washable and form a 4x4 square. I don't recall that they were outrageously expensive and they certainly did take alot of abuse in my house.

les
May 5th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Never thought of those foam mats .. thats a neat idea. :)

Still don't believe the anti-social part since even if we're talking about a work day alone. I mean, wouldn't that apply to dogs kept indoors too? So, wouldn't EVERY dog who has an owner that has a job be anti-social???

And that's great that the time limit your dogs is alone is 4 hours but thats not really realistic to most people - - and what about when you're actually working full time? Hope your dogs don't become anti-social then ...

I know there are alot of lurkers on this board and I understand you don't want them to think keeping a dog in a pen is a good idea HOWEVER when you see it's 2 regular members asking a question there's no need to freak out and worry about neglect with our dogs.

Lise
May 5th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I don't know if this is an option ,but when my parents weimaraner started getting older he had trouble holding for even a couple of hours.My Dad built him a run outside with a dog door going into the house,that way he had run of the house but if he needed to go and they were out he just went out.Patio blocs as a floor sounds good.We used cement here because we are a boarding kennel with different dogs in and out,so ours runs have to be washed down more often than if only one dog.Cement is the most hygenic,but it does have to sealed and must be maintained.

Bushfire2000
May 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Hi, we're going to need a new door anyway so I'm campaigning for a doggie door, if that happens I will definitely put the pen out the side door of our house. Of course that will mean retraining the dogs because we never use that door(because it needs replacing).
Presently and all winter the dogs have been left in the house on those occasions that I've had to be away. And yes I've picked up my share of pee and poop. I leave pee pads by the door but mostly they've played with them and I come home to shreds of paper and pee and poop. I will continue to pick up after them but it becomes a sore spot in the marriage if HB comes home first and steps in said goodies. Love me love my dogs apparently doesn't include the poop.

For all who are interested the pen will be going up and will be safe and I think until further notice I'm going to just go with the grass and see how it holds up. I can always send the kids in with scissors.

Prin
May 5th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Never thought of those foam mats .. thats a neat idea. :)

Still don't believe the anti-social part since even if we're talking about a work day alone. I mean, wouldn't that apply to dogs kept indoors too? So, wouldn't EVERY dog who has an owner that has a job be anti-social???Sure every dog left alone will get antisocial eventually- the difference is that a dog outside in a cage when you come home tired and crabby is less likely to be as "in your face" about getting attention than a dog who is in the house bouncing off you. That's all I'm trying to say. Either dog needs attention to compensate for being alone all day.

rainbow
May 5th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I leave my dogs outside in a fenced yard with both gates padlocked. They can go in the garage that's attached to the house if they want. They always have water, toys, etc. and I never leave them for more than 2-3 hours if I have to go into town.

My question for those of you that insist it's better to leave them in the house when you go into town is "what if the house caught on fire while you were away"?

Now I know I've really stirred the pot.:eek:

Prin
May 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Odds are much slimmer, IMO. Plus, I'm in a bungalow, so they can probably escape through the windows.;)

LM1313
May 5th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Antisocial: Shunning the society of others; not sociable. Hostile to or disruptive of the established social order; marked by or engaging in behavior that violates accepted mores: gangs engaging in vandalism and other antisocial behavior. Antagonistic toward or disrespectful of others; rude.

Even a dog who is left in a yard 24/7 and not played with (which I know none of us would endorse!) won't necessarily become antisocial. How many times have we heard on the news or animal rescue shows something like: "Poor Fido was tied up with no water and hardly any food. We rescued this sweet boy who now loves being petted and giving kisses"?

I think the word we're looking for here is unsocialized, which is not the same thing. Antisocial = doesn't like people, is unfriendly towards people. Unsocialized = hasn't been around people, doesn't know how to act around people.

Leaving a dog alone for a few hours is not going to cause it to be antisocial OR unsocialized as long as it gets enough playtime, attention, and training when people are home. :) Whether a dog is happier outside or inside depends on the individual dog. Ebony always loved it outside where she could patrol the yard for squirrels and lie in the sun. (She also refused to drink water inside the house.) On the other hand, the dog I had before, Mandy, was a little homebody.

Personally, I would prefer to leave a dog outside in the fresh air. I think it would be much more interesting for the dog to be able to smell the neighborhood, as it were, instead of being shut up in the house or, worse, a crate. I work in a cubicle all day and that's bad enough. ;)

~LM~

jjgeonerd
May 5th, 2006, 04:43 PM
How about cedar chips...like 4"-5" deep? They smell good, repel bugs naturally, are easy to pick poo up off of, and the dogs don't track them inside. They're also fairly cushioning to lay on when placed in thick layers. A yard materials supply shop should have them.

My dogs killed the grass in the backyard of our old house. I replaced it with the cedar chips and it was MUCH better. They seemed to like it.

erykah1310
May 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM
How about cedar chips...like 4"-5" deep?
If you chose this route remember not to get SHAVINGS the dogs can inhale the dust and cause problems, also remember that some cedar is carcenogenic ( we had to wear masks at the Mill i worked at when cutting it)
Do some research on it.
As far as the whole "to pen" or " not to pen" debate, TO EACH THEIR OWN! if its not a permanent home and not misused, I see no problem with it. ( depending on public access of course)
My question for those of you that insist it's better to leave them in the house when you go into town is "what if the house caught on fire while you were away"?

Very good point, friends of the family lost 2 pitbulls from this, :sad: but however if your house is burning to the ground regardless of where the dogs are when no one is home they have a good chance of being killed! If the pen is close to or attached to the house the fire will create so much heat!! But this is a VERY VERY sad thing to be thinking about or even debating.

DogHuntinMan
August 23rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
New to the forum, so please be kind. In this thread about ground cover for a dog run, I see many people forget the actual question that was asked. My answer is large concrete pavers. I leave grass also. My dogs love grass too. There are a couple of manufacturers that make 18x18 inch and 24x24 inch square concrete stones. Use them in areas that the dogs tear up the grass. As far as those who say that the dog is safer inside, I respond.........huh? Maybe if it's no bigger than a rat. My dogs are outside dogs. My dogs live outside all the time. My dogs are very loved, and very well taken care of. I can understand that a poodle or some other type of lap dog is probably better suited to being indoors, but to think that all breeds of dogs should be kept inside of a home is insane! Your house smells like dog! Your friends won't tell you, but I will.

Chris21711
August 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Your house smells like dog! Your friends won't tell you, but I will.

Thankyou for your insight.

14+kitties
August 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Wow!! Another old thread come back to rear its ugly head! :rolleyes:
I guess some of us just prefer to keep our pets close to us. Btw - my house doesn't smell like dog. (well yeah, it sorta does because my lap dog poodle is 16 and incontinent) But really, it smells more like cat. Lots of cats! :p

Loki Love
August 23rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
I have a Great Dane - no dog smell here ;)

That being said - even if my house did smell of 'dog' - that's part of the price you pay when you decide to bring a family member into your life, and into your house where they belong :)

DogHuntinMan
August 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
Oh many appologies for the "dog smell" remark. My own personal opinion jumped out of that comment. If it is your choice to have an animal live in your house so be it. I do have a problem, though, with dog people who think that it is a crime for a dog to live outside. Come on. It's a dog. By their nature they are born to love the outdoors. Even the little guys with the pink bows. Not every person that keeps their dog outside, just locks it up and forgets about it. I have as much interaction with my dogs as anyone that keeps them inside. My dogs have so much fun in their environment that I have created for them in my very large back yard. I bring them out in the woods every weekend. I use Garmin GPS tracking collars to ensure their safety. Again, many, many appologies for the "dog smelly house" remark. Much love to those who love the same canine friends as me.:thumbs up

clm
August 23rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
Oh many appologies for the "dog smell" remark. My own personal opinion jumped out of that comment. If it is your choice to have an animal live in your house so be it. I do have a problem, though, with dog people who think that it is a crime for a dog to live outside. Come on. It's a dog. By their nature they are born to love the outdoors. Even the little guys with the pink bows. Not every person that keeps their dog outside, just locks it up and forgets about it. I have as much interaction with my dogs as anyone that keeps them inside. My dogs have so much fun in their environment that I have created for them in my very large back yard. I bring them out in the woods every weekend. I use Garmin GPS tracking collars to ensure their safety. Again, many, many appologies for the "dog smelly house" remark. Much love to those who love the same canine friends as me.:thumbs up

Sure dogs love the outdoors, but they are pack animals and belong where their people are. If there people are outside, then it's fine for them to be outside. If their people are indoors, then that's where they belong, with their pack. And by the way, not all dogs have doggy odor. I could have done without the "Come on. It's a dog" comment too. On that score alone you've gotten your last response from me on anything. :frustrated::shrug:

clm

happycats
August 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM

You're right dogs would prefer to be outside if the rest of their pack is out there too, but to your dog, you are part of their pack and they prefer to be with you, inside and outside.
That being said, if you have more then one dog, at least they have company outside, but I still believe if they could talk they would say they prefer to be with you and your family in the house :D (In your bed if you'd let them) :eek:

I'm sure you love your dogs and do what you think is best, but I still believe you can't have as much interaction with your dogs, as someone with indoor dogs, unless your outside 24/7 :shrug:

Oh and if you rub your dog with bounce sheets, they don't stink all that bad:).....I still can't figure out how to get rid of that "Dorrito dog feet" smell though....suggestions anyone........ And so what my house smells a little like dog, if my friends don't like it they don't have to visit :D

Loki Love
August 23rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
I do have a problem, though, with dog people who think that it is a crime for a dog to live outside. Come on. It's a dog. By their nature they are born to love the outdoors. Even the little guys with the pink bows. Not every person that keeps their dog outside, just locks it up and forgets about it. I have as much interaction with my dogs as anyone that keeps them inside. My dogs have so much fun in their environment that I have created for them in my very large back yard. I bring them out in the woods every weekend. I use Garmin GPS tracking collars to ensure their safety.

How safe is that outdoor environment if you're not there to supervise?:shrug:

DogHuntinMan
August 23rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
wow. i can see this is not the site for me. Inside dogs? Don't smell? They need to be inside with their pacK? In my bed? My grandpaw is part of my family, he doesn't sleep in my bed. My apologies to anyone who loves dogs like me, but isn't a weirdo that treats a dog like a human. Horses need love too. You want those inside? Oh , I forgot, they're not pack animals.(Unless I put a pack on them). Wow. I can't beleive this. You guys watch way too much TV. Me, I'm the guy who loves animals, but remembers that they are just that.

Blackbear
August 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM
This thread has run its course and will now be closed.