Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible Allergies? I'm at a loss...

ZonkaDaisy
May 4th, 2006, 05:24 AM
We had our dog imported from Germany 2 1/2 months ago. Since then she has had gastritis several times. Currently that is cured.. Now she is sneezing and wheezing which started yesterday.. Appetite, thirst, urinary, bowel, activity level are all normal. Temp is currently 102.6. She is on Eukanuba and has been since we got her. Water is filtered, not been around any ill dogs (only our other dogs), not been to pet stores or pet parks or anything. On heartworm since we got her and had a negative heart worm test. Currently on flea and tick from Frontline. All shots are current. Only issue currently is sneezing and wheezing.. Took her to the vet and they can't find anything wrong.. Any ideas?? possible allergies?? if so to what and how to find out what?? Thank you for ANY and ALL help!! Oh she is 22 months old 24 inches tall and weighs about 70 pounds.. Was only 57 pounds when we got her!!

jessi76
May 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Any ideas?? possible allergies?? if so to what and how to find out what?? Thank you for ANY and ALL help!! Oh she is 22 months old 24 inches tall and weighs about 70 pounds.. Was only 57 pounds when we got her!!

type of dog? (breed)

Have you contacted whomever you got her from in Germany regarding these health issues? (breeder, shelter, etc...)

Have you gotten a 2nd opinion from another vet?

Eukanuba is not great food, but before switching and/or assuming it's an allergy, I'd get a 2nd or 3rd opinion from a different vet.

Rottielover
May 4th, 2006, 08:56 AM
sounds like a female rottie to me. And rotties are very well known for problematic tummies. Have you taken her to the vet??

ZonkaDaisy
May 4th, 2006, 09:09 AM
type of dog? (breed)

Have you contacted whomever you got her from in Germany regarding these health issues? (breeder, shelter, etc...)

Have you gotten a 2nd opinion from another vet?

Eukanuba is not great food, but before switching and/or assuming it's an allergy, I'd get a 2nd or 3rd opinion from a different vet.

Sorry, she is a German Shepherd. I have left messages for the person we bought her from, they have not responded as of yet. Why is Eukanuba not a good dog food?? I had always thought it was one of the better ones. I am very curious about this. Thank you

ZonkaDaisy
May 4th, 2006, 09:17 AM
sounds like a female rottie to me. And rotties are very well known for problematic tummies. Have you taken her to the vet??

She is a German Shepherd silly me should have thought to tell everyone that. :sorry: And yes she has been to the vet, first the ER vet clinic as we were worried and had not heard of allergies. Then follow up with her regular vet who seems baffled.

jessi76
May 4th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Try to get a 2nd opinion if you can, just to be sure to rule out any upper respitory infections. I'm no vet, but sneezing & wheezing would warrant another opinion for my own pets.

If you have time, browse through the dog & cat food forum, there's alot of great advice, tips, and recommendations there. Also there's tips to decifer the dog food ingredient labels. (very helpful!)

but before doing a diet change, I'd seek that 2nd opinion.

Hopefully, some GSD owners will be chiming in soon. good luck, and do keep us posted! (oh and we love pictures!)

phoenix
May 4th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Hi,
Just wanted to refer you to a site
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
I'm not sure what formulation of eukanuba you're feeding. This site gives it one star out of 6... it has corn meal in it, byproducts, and the meats are listed with water weight, which means they are actually much lower on the list.

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Eukanuba is not a great food, but I don't know if it would cause wheezing. German shepherds are prone to soooooo many genetic diseases, it might be worth it to do some extensive testing- blood analyses, etc.

When does the wheezing occur? If it's with activity or stress, it might also be asthma... Dogs can get kennel cough cough from the street too, not just contact directly with other dogs.

badger
May 4th, 2006, 06:08 PM
This is anecdotal but a friend of mine who has German Shepherds (also imported from Europe) had a terrible time with allergies in her dogs (stomach, skin). She switched them to homemade food and never looked back.

ZonkaDaisy
May 4th, 2006, 06:16 PM
We took her to another vet today. They are thinking it is allergies to her food. They also wanted us to try a different food. We checked the sight that was given to us here that rates the dog foods. We are currently looking into a couple of the 5 and 6 star brands. Thank you all for your help! We all greatly appreciate it!! I will try and send pictures of her and our male tomorrow.

ZonkaDaisy
May 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Hi,
Just wanted to refer you to a site
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
I'm not sure what formulation of eukanuba you're feeding. This site gives it one star out of 6... it has corn meal in it, byproducts, and the meats are listed with water weight, which means they are actually much lower on the list.

Hi Phoenix, I went to the web site and would really like to find out more about the wolfharvest organic, but how do you find a contact for this company? Any idea where they are located? I tried finding a link on the web page you sent me to and did not find one. Thanks

phoenix
May 4th, 2006, 08:44 PM
hi,
never heard of this wolfharvest. Do you mean timberwolf organic??

meb999
May 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Hey Zonka Daisy! If you're going to switch foods, I'd recommend you look into our dog and cat food forum, there's lotsa good info in there :

http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Here's another site I've found very helpfull in reading dog-food ingredients :

http://www.boxerworld.com/feeding/

ZonkaDaisy
May 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Yes Phoenix that is the one, and I did find their website. We can purchase it about an hour from our home. So that was good. And yes Meb999 I am also going to check out the forum here on what all of your opinins are.
Thank you.

SarahLynn123
May 5th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Hi!
We have GSD also and she is extremely sensitive! She can olny have certain treats (lamb lungs, chicken hearts, dried clams,dried fish skin). We give her only natural treats where the only ingredients are the ones listed above. If we are a bit late (1 hour or so) on feeding her she will throw up, she also eats 3 times a day. She itches like crazy and we ruled out allergies being the cause by giving her allergy pills under the direction of our vet.

Her itching, we finally figured out, is from dry skin, so we add a liquid we got from the vet (cant remember the name) and fish oils to her food and brush her ofter, this helps alot. Also if it is really bad (someone fed her something she shouldn't have had) we will give her a bath with oatmeal shampoo, but not too often!

She eats Innova Evo kibble and the treats listed above. Anything other then what I listed causes diarrhea, vomiting, and severe itching to the point of bleeding. Once we figured everything was out we have had no problems at all!

German Shepherds can have a huge amount of problems, but definatly see another vet and get another opinion. Definatly rule out sickness first! These are jsut how Shadow reacts to food that doesn't agree with her.

Hope you get it figured out soon!

Prin
May 5th, 2006, 02:24 PM
She's so pretty! :)

ZonkaDaisy
May 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Very pretty and nice looking GSD!!:love:

SarahLynn123
May 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks! I show her off every chance I get!!!!!

ZonkaDaisy
May 8th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I have tried posting pictures but all my pictures are to big I guess. It tells me I can only post a 100 and the smallest I seem to be able to get mine is 600.. so if anyone would like a picture I guess email me privately or IM me an dI will send you a picture that way. :sorry: