Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fluid in the lungs

mycatisdot
May 3rd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Hi all,

My cat is 6 (just turned). Up until a week ago she's been a frisky, playful, healthy cat. I noticed over the past week she was eating less. It quickly grew into not eating at all. She was lathargic. I took her to the vet yesterday expecting her to have a cold, get some medication and for her to feel better soon.

However, I learned something different. Her lungs are filled with fluid. They immediately did a tap and drained 40 cc's from one lung. This procedure is painful for animals and they only did one lung. They gave me lacics(sp) and antibiotics for her. The doctor sat me down and said based on the color of the fluid in her lungs she either has a chest tumor or severe heart problems. They are sending a specimen to the lab for further results. He also told me fluid in the lungs for cats is mostly fatal.

I've been giving her as much love as possible, but she's dying right in front of me. Her progress seems to be worse by the hour. I took her back to the vet and made them give her an IV. They will keep her for the day, but I'm scared for her. I'm scared because she seems scared. I'm doing my best to make her comfortable and not making any decisions until I get the results back, but I'm so confused.

Last week I had a perfectly health cat (or so I thought) and now she's dying.

Does anyone have any idea about fluid in the lungs and perhaps I'm holding on to hope that it's really just a bad cold and she will be back chasing bumble bees in no time.

mycatisdot

badger
May 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
I am so sorry. From what I have read here, fluid on the lungs is pretty serious, and often the end-stage of disease. Sometimes cats are born with these tendencies, like humans, and there is probably nothing you could have done. At least you know his suffering was not prolonged and that you gave him six lovely years.
Hang in there, we'll be thinking about you. We've all been there, and it does get easier.

Lucky Rescue
May 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Cats do not get "really bad colds" as we do. They get respiratory infections, but obviously this is not what your cat has.

I"m so sorry since this was so sudden and your cat is only 6.:(

Drowning with fluid in the lungs is not pleasant. I'm sure you'll do the right thing, however painful it is for you.

We've all been there

Yes, we have. I had a 2 year old cat who was fine one day and dead the next, so know how you feel and sympathize greatly.

mycatisdot
May 4th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Thank you for all of your kind words.

yesterday while at work the vet called. She gave Dotty a 50/50 chance of making it through the night. She said she has cancer. She said Dotty wasn't strong enough to make it through treatment and if she did make it - she would only get another 6-8 months of a not so good quality of life.

It was around 4 so I left work and went to the vets. Dot was so lathargic. She knew I was there and gave me a really good attempt at a purr. I held her in my arms, cried, said my peace and she died before the vet could give her the needle.

I know this sounds far fetched, but it makes me feel better. I think she waited for me to die. Peacefully in my arms. She's now in my backyard. I have a stream with a waterfall. She's next to it, but in my heart forever.

I'm really sad right now and pray she's chasing bumble bees and rainbows.

badger
May 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I am very sorry. I'm glad you were able to have those final few moments with her, believe me she was thanking you. It's hard to lose our friends. Be kind to yourself and don't listen to anyone who tells you to 'get over it'. You will, in your own time.

Lucky Rescue
May 4th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I know this sounds far fetched, but it makes me feel better. I think she waited for me to die. Peacefully in my arms

It's not far fetched at all, and I believe that's really true.

I'm so sorry for your loss.:sad: