Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Monte diarrhea

Monte_puppy
May 3rd, 2006, 12:38 PM
:confused: He's all recovered from the vet now his poop is nothing but liquid the occasional lil chunk of poop, before he was doing normal puppy stools.
Is there any kind of food I should try him on besides the puppy chows?:sad:

mummummum
May 3rd, 2006, 01:36 PM
If I recall correctly your puppy was vomitting, had diarrhea and showing signs of severe lethargy and depression. Besides the dehydration (which is a result of the vomitting and diarrhea - not the cause), your Vet must have said something about the possible cause for the gastric upset and done blood work/ fecal tests. If you were given antibiotics and something for nausea/ diarrhea and they have run their course, you likely want to call your Vet to find out the results of the tests and to advise that your puppy is still ill. Please don't wait to do so - your puppy will just become more drastically ill.

Monte_puppy
May 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM
:confused: When I went to the vets he gave Monte sub q fluids and he took them quite great as well as his diet was gatorade, popsicles, ground beef and mashed potatoes.I just got the go ahead to put him back on his puppy chow.He's had his shots fer deworming and booster. So far there hasn't been any traces of blood or red ting or anything along those lines.He's doing everything a Jack puppy does.Just his poop is super runny as I said every other time he's got a tiny puppy poop in the liquid though.

technodoll
May 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
do you mean purina puppy chow? :yuck: poor puppy, no wonder... that's not food, it's human-food industry by-products. please do a search on the food threads and you will find a ton of information on what is best to feed your pup. the rule of thumb is: if you can find the bag of food in a grocery store, drug-store or walmarts... it is a low-quality food. the GOOD stuff is only sold in reputable petstores. avoid science diet, iams, eukanuba too. all garbage.
good luck! :thumbs up

jessi76
May 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
There is a Dog Food Forum here. You may want to check it out for some better food options & other brand recommendations.

OntarioGreys
May 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
What a cutie.

Did you switch do a complete switch from ground beef and mashed potatoes to straight kibble at one shot? if so can result in the Big D you have to make food swtiches slowly, go back to the ground beef and mashed for a couple of days till he gets solid again and then make a slow switch gradually adding in more kibble and less of the ground beef and mashed potatoes.

There are kibbles that are called all stages which can be fed from puppyhood till they are seniors you might need to feed a little more than the recommended amount for puppies but the Purina puppy chow and dog chow are really not very good quality foods, condidering a dog has to eat the same food daily without a lot of variety they need a good quality food that is well balances to keep them healthy,
Feeding puppy chow or dog chow would be like giving a child a diet of only honeycomb cereal for the rest of their life it would keep them alive but they would not be as healthy because they would be lacking fruits and veggies and meat parts of their diet. The purina dog chow line of foods is like that they are lacking in meat and use sugars to make the food more palatable for dogs so they will eat it, which later in life can affect their health.

SunGurl372
May 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
VERY good advice from OntarioGreys.

I boarded Harley for several days last summer, and brought in enough food for that time. Life being what it is, I ended up extending my trip by a day, so Harley ran a bit short. The vet fed her their food for one day, just one, and OMG! the horror. Now Harley was currently on Nutro at the time, which is not even a good food, and the results were horrid. :yuck:

The next day at home she had a complete "blow out" in her crate. And she had somehow managed to push the tray out, so my carpet bore the brunt of the force. I ended up having to bath her, the crate, and my carpet several times.

I learned my lessons that day: ALWAYS provide extra food if you're going to board your dog, and ALWAYS ease them into a food change over time.

mummummum
May 3rd, 2006, 07:59 PM
Ditto on the food research advice. Until you can pick up better food for him try him on some rice with boiled chicken. Another member told me about using pumpkin puree (NOT the pie filling) to help firm up stools - it does work as does a pinch of psyllum (sp?). I also note that your little guy was dewormed and had his booster recently. Worming meds can cause loose stools and some dawgies can react to shots with gastric upset. Just one other note - gatorade might be too much for him. Try some pedialite instead - you can pick it up at the drug store in the infant care section. And post some more pix of him in the photo section - he's a cutie !

Monte_puppy
May 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Monte's vet told me just popsicles, gatorade ground beef n mashed potatoes for his diet..Ontario Greys advice from the last time had informed me bout lathargy (sp?) anyhow he was dehydrated n they did give hiom sub q fluids. Last night I tried him with yogurt n pumpkin mixed in with his kibbles n we isn't as runny as yesterday it's starting to be firmer thank dog.:pawprint: