Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can dogs get the flu?

highhoney36
May 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM
HEllo I have a female golden retriever black lab cross who is almost 2. Last week I introduced a new dog food to my dogs, I have 3. The older dog did not eat this new food but the other 2 did and they got diarhea, I fed them Lamb and Rice. The one dog had diarhea for 3 days now she is all better but my other dog still has diarhea. and today she is not walking well at all, she is eating and drinking fine and she seems to be happy but quite lazy. I am wondering if it was the food I fed them( which I changed back to their regular food)or if they might have the flu. Her stools have no mucas or blood or worms. but it is very runny. Also I am wondering if maybe she is not moving to qucik because her but is sore. I live in a small town and the vet is 2 hours away. I am waiting for her to call me back so id anybody has any thoughts please let me know. Thanx alot.

jessi76
May 3rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
yes, dogs can get the flu. I'm NOT a vet, so I would never rule anything out - especially with just online advice, but it sounds to me as if it was probably the food switch.

When switching, it's best to do it VERY slowly, gradually adding in the new food.

I'm glad you have a call into your vet already - it's always the best thing to do when dealing w/ digestive issues. let us know what your vet says.

OntarioGreys
May 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Sudden food changes can result in the Big D
THere are 2 method to do food changes to avoid big D one is to fast the dogs for 24 to 36 hours (give water only) gradually switch them over slowly increasing the new food and decreasing the amount of old usually over a course of a week