Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Parasite/Heartworm Meds

rosebury29
May 3rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Hi, is there a med that deals with all the parasites/worms, etc. and also Heartworms that I can just go and buy at the vet without having to see the vet?
I want to be sure my Lab puppy is healthy and safe around the kids (worms, such)
Thanks

Lucky Rescue
May 3rd, 2006, 11:22 AM
I want to be sure my Lab puppy is healthy and safe around the kids (worms, such)

Why don't you want to see the vet? NO vet is going to hand out medication without knowing if your dog has any parasites/worms.

The only way to know if your dog has worms is to have a fecal check done.

No vet will give you heartworm preventatives without a heartworm test, unless the dog is under 7 months old, since giving meds to a dog who has heartworms will likely result in the death of the dog.

mummummum
May 3rd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Since heartworm "season" starts for us in April/May, I schedule our "Wellness Tests" (annual full physical check-up) in March at which time they are tested for heartworm etc. and we get our meds after the tests come back. This saves on the cost of an extra visit were the dawgs to have their annual physical at any other time of the year.

BUT - if you have any reason to believe that your dog has worms of any kind, please take your puppy to the vet ASAP - left unchecked all parasites can cause permanent damage to your puppy and some parasites can kill. A Vet must test to determine the type of parasite and prescribe a medication specific to that class of parasites. Medication dosages are prescribed based on your dawg's weight and to some extent age. All medications are prescribed to be taken with or without food, a specific number of times per day and for a proscribed length of time. After meds are done your puppy should be re-checked to ensure the parasite has been completely eradicated from your puppy's system. Worms et al are not the simple critters you may think they are and it really does require the education and expertise of a Vet to make your puppy well - and a happy, healthy puppy will be worth the money you spend.

rosebury29
May 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
No, I remember at his last puppy shot the secretary said he would be too young this year for heart worm testing, he'd just need the meds. He just turned 6 months this week. He had deworming at each of his 3 puppy needle visits.

SnowDancer
May 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM
My Eskimo starting taking Heartworm meds at 13 weeks. When we got him he was kept in one of two places - in a crate in a dark room - or outside in a swimming pool in an area swarming with mosquitos - actually they were buzzing about his head when we met him. Next day we were at vet for checkup and they gave us the meds. No reaction and no Heartworm. The area he came from is one of the 2 Ontario regions that are experiencing rampant heartworm outbreaks this year.

satchelp
May 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
My Eskimo starting taking Heartworm meds at 13 weeks. When we got him he was kept in one of two places - in a crate in a dark room - or outside in a swimming pool in an area swarming with mosquitos - actually they were buzzing about his head when we met him. Next day we were at vet for checkup and they gave us the meds. No reaction and no Heartworm. The area he came from is one of the 2 Ontario regions that are experiencing rampant heartworm outbreaks this year.

SnowDancer,

Could you please eloborate, if possible, on the 2 Ontario regions that have the heartworm outbreaks? Thanks!

mafiaprincess
May 3rd, 2006, 03:13 PM
No, I remember at his last puppy shot the secretary said he would be too young this year for heart worm testing, he'd just need the meds. He just turned 6 months this week. He had deworming at each of his 3 puppy needle visits.

Yes, but you still have to go see the vet for at least a brief visit to get HW prevention. Being 6 months it means he missed HW season last year and most likely didn't come in contact with mosquitos in his short life so doesn't need to be tested, but you can't just randomly buy the meds.

Beaglemom
May 3rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
is there a med that deals with all the parasites/worms, etc. and also Heartworms that I can just go and buy at the vet without having to see the vet?
Revolution is as close to what you are asking for. It controls parasites, some worms and is a heartworm prevention. It can only be purchased through a vet. Regarding whether or not your vet would have to see your puppy, the best thing to do would be to call your vet and ask. It would depend on when the last time your vet saw your dog. If it was very recent, he may just tell you to pick up the heartworm preventative treatment and explain to you how to give it to your dog.