Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

another heartworm question...

phoenix
May 3rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
could someone explain the testing stuff to me about heartworm? I just got off the phone with the vet receptionist to book my dogs to come in for testing and to buy the preventative. She said that because Maia is only 6 mos and Sam is only 16 months, and he was on preventative June to Oct last year, they don't need testing.
Is this correct? I was under the impression that Sam, at least, would have to be tested even if he was on preventative last year.

jessi76
May 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
see, I thought just the opposite and aparently I was wrong too. When I first spoke to my vet's office (receptionist - NOT the vet) I was told if I kept Tucker on a preventative YEAR ROUND, testing annually was optional. So, when I got my reminder in the mail for an apt, I called, and said "well, I opted to keep him on year round, so I don't think we need the test" and I was told I was wrong. He needs the test regardless. I'm confused too. :confused:

I'll get it all cleared up at my visit when I SEE my vet - but until then... I'm a bit lost.

Beaglemom
May 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Misty gets tested every year. We only give her the 6 month preventatvie treatment. Princess, being only a few months old, will not be getting tested this year but will be next year prior to her being put on the preventative even though she will receive it this year. I believe that vets like to test for heartworm even when you are giving the year round preventative just in case the preventative treatment failed or a dose was given late or missed.

mafiaprincess
May 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
I got our revolution last month, and was told as long as I'm diligent about giving HW prevention on time all mosquito season they test every other year.. so Cider will be tested next april.

OntarioGreys
May 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
I got our revolution last month, and was told as long as I'm diligent about giving HW prevention on time all mosquito season they test every other year.. so Cider will be tested next april.

My vet is the same way, the problem is some people forget to give the dose or may split between to dogs to save money and the folling year the dog will be positive. and some vets are concerned about the risk and may insist on testing yearly. I have been with the same vet for 15 years all thru that period gave heartworm meds so he is comfortable doing every other year test with my dogs but with others who he does not know well enough he'd rather not take that chance

mafiaprincess
May 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Ontariogreys.. I got a pamphlet from the vet at the beginning of April.. It mentioned people finding doses of HW prevention under couches later on, the house sitter forgot to give it, the kids were supposed to give it and forgot, the dog spit up the pill later, etc.
I was a little horrified. I covered mine in peanut butter all last year to make sure it went down and had no prob.. but they quized me to make sure I was hardcore about giving it on time. If I hadn't been sure I'd always done it right they would have tested again.
The vet told me more than half of the dogs that come in have to be tested yearly because the owners just aren't sure whether they gave it or not during the season. :eek:

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 06:37 PM
My vet tests every other year too and before you start giving the meds, just to be sure. But in your case, if Maia hasn't been exposed to mosquitoes other than this spring, she wouldn't have had much time to get the worms.