Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pregnancy related question

Karyn2211
May 3rd, 2006, 07:36 AM
Hi everyone:

Iím a little concern because my Maltese is on her 59 day of pregnancy and she doesnít have any indication of milk. My Yorkie, for example, usually begins having milk a few days before having the puppies. Any input would be really appreciated.

:love:

Karyn

BMDLuver
May 3rd, 2006, 07:44 AM
If you have concerns then you should take her to the vet.. perhaps your Maltese will not even go into labour and will require a c-section. We certainly can't advise you over the internet if it's ok or not.

erykah1310
May 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
This is definately a cause for concern, your dog most likely will require a c-section and the pups will have to be bottle fed if the mother doenst produce milk, PLEASE take her to the vet ASAP, 4 days before delivery she should have adequate milk!
Please hurry to the vet!!!!

Frenchy
May 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
If you don't know the answer to this question and have to ask over the internet and did not already go to the vet,maybe you shouldn't breed your dogs.

lpn169
May 4th, 2006, 03:11 AM
They are certainly right....if you have concerns, make sure your vet checks her out to rule out any problems.

In addition, 63 days is only an average length of pregnancy, in reality, they can go anywhere from 5 days early to 5 days late safely. many females will not 'sack up' or how signs of milk coming down until a day or two before delivery. Some will even not drop milk until the delivery itself , the pushing during contractions brings it down. The problem being.....is unless you know your female and are experienced in this....you need a vet to examine her since there is always a possibilty that she will not produce any at all and you will be hand raising a litter.

Karyn2211
May 5th, 2006, 07:19 AM
If you don't know the answer to this question and have to ask over the internet and did not already go to the vet,maybe you shouldn't breed your dogs.

I've been breeding dogs since I'm 12 years old. I'm 38 now and this is the 1st time this ever happen to me. I came here for advice, not to be attacak.

K.

Karyn2211
May 5th, 2006, 07:22 AM
They are certainly right....if you have concerns, make sure your vet checks her out to rule out any problems.

In addition, 63 days is only an average length of pregnancy, in reality, they can go anywhere from 5 days early to 5 days late safely. many females will not 'sack up' or how signs of milk coming down until a day or two before delivery. Some will even not drop milk until the delivery itself , the pushing during contractions brings it down. The problem being.....is unless you know your female and are experienced in this....you need a vet to examine her since there is always a possibilty that she will not produce any at all and you will be hand raising a litter.

Thanks for the info. Usually all mu dogs produce milk before. I also know that in very few ocassions pregnancies can last all the way to 72 days!!!, which will be a 1st for me. I'll keep you posted as soon as I see any change.

erykah1310
May 5th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Just wondering how she is doing? Any milk or pups yet? Keep us posted, I hope everything goes well for her. But i ask that next time you reconsider breeding. I understand that you have been doing it for years but however how many of your pups do you think may have ended up in shelters by now?
There are enough unwanted healthy pets put down every day, Please reconsider before adding to this problem further.
Again I am just also curious to know how momma is doing?

Rottielover
May 5th, 2006, 01:25 PM
if something is wrong, it can certainly kill her as you know breeding dogs from such a young age. Toy breeds almost always need to be c sectioned. No room for pups. Have you ultra sounded her. Make sure she did take and is not having a false pregnancy....1st thing I would have done....VET

Luvmypit
May 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Karen this board is extremely pro neuturing and spaying for what i believe are obvious reasons. You must understand that alot of people here are involved in rescues. And where do they get alllllllllllllllll their animals from? Unscrupulous breeders.
I really don't want to assume so i will leave it at that.

I am assumming that since you are a seasoned breeder your dogs are genetically tested, health tested, have papers and are registered, possible show dogs, that you have a nur\etur/spay clause when selling your dog in your contract, that you screen all potential buyers and make them sign a contract, that you take back all sick dogs (shouldnt have many if they are genetic and health screened) and that not one of your dogs ever end up in a shelter because you will take them back before they end up there no matter how far ago you sold them. That you are breeding them to maintain breed standards and you know what the breeds standards are.

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/Good_breeder.pdf is such a good reference on how to be a good breeder and how to look for one.

Im not saying you arent a good breeder but if your maybe unaware of the standards in which a good breeder is considered then you are doing a serious disservice to all dogs.

As for your question the dog should see a vet for precautionary measures.