Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need oven cleaner ideas NOW!

raingirl
May 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
So, our yearly apartment inspection is tomorrow. They check all the appliances, windows, HVAC, etc. to see if anything needs repair/replacement, and to just check the general upkeep of the apartment. I was just making a quick dinner and cleaning the kitchen at the same time when i realized, SHOOT! I need to clean the OVEN! And I have no oven cleaner. It hasn't been cleaned probably since last year for the last inspection (I know, I'm bad!)

Any ideas what I can used to break up the grime/grease fast? (i.e. no remedies that sit overnight)

I was thinking of plugging my kettle in and filling it all the way up and sticking it in there to boil away and loosen stuff, then I remembered that my new kettle has an auto shut-off.

ACK!

I also don't really have time to run to the store either, since that would take me easily 45 min there and back.

Luba
May 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Put a roast pan of water 1/2 full in the oven with a teaspoon of dish soap
Turn the oven on 250 degrees for atleast an hour.

Let the oven cool then scrub with more soap and baking soda.

Good luck!

BMDLuver
May 2nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Might I suggest once you get it clean to line the bottom with tin foil then you wouldn't have this problem next time you have a spillover... you just pull the foil and put new foil down. Much easier cleanup.

Skryker
May 2nd, 2006, 06:18 PM
I can't remember the exact formula, but I think that one of the "Old Time" abrasive cleaners is lemon juice, baking soda and salt-or just lemon and salt...you make a paste of it. Might work.

raingirl
May 2nd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Put a roast pan of water 1/2 full in the oven with a teaspoon of dish soap
Turn the oven on 250 degrees for atleast an hour.

Let the oven cool then scrub with more soap and baking soda.

Good luck!

That's what I was initially thinking, but I don't have that much time. I go to bed at 9 pm (I get up at 4:30 so I go to bed really early).

I have an organic degreaser that is also non-toxic. I will try that first. I am going to vacumn the bits from the bottom first though (ewww).