Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breastfeeding in public

Shamrock
May 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
I was reading a story about a woman who was challenged by a store manager for feeding her 3-month old infant in a supermarket checkout line. After a customer complained, he asked her to cease and desist.

This is a delicate subject. There could be nothing more natural in life, and in my view - there is absolutely no reason a mother should not be able to feed her baby as the need arises.
I certainly dont think that women should have to retreat to a rest-room, but as there can be no denying it makes "some" uncomfortable... I think a certain degree of discreetness is wise - if a VERY public area and in close proximity to strangers.

Others might say ...that's "their" problem. If they have some hangup - deal with it.

What are your views?

technodoll
May 2nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
sorry but take it elsewhere... if the kid cannot wait 5 minutes until you're out of the store, specially in a check-out line where people are forced to be in close proximity to each other... feed it in your car before you enter, ya know? IMO breast-feeding is a very personal affair and not meant for public viewing. we canadians are far too patient and polite with public offenses such as spitting on the sidewalk, general rudeness and lack of civility... sorry but i don't want to have a baby sucking away on a mom's breast a foot away from my face, it offends me. IF i am in your home then I can choose to leave, but when you force it upon me... in a public place where I have the right to be... it is rude. so i say YAY for the store manager, there are limits to invading other people's right to enjoy a public space... that's what homes and private property are for, doing stuff that others don't necessarily want to see, no matter how "natural" it is. btw whipping it out and peeing against a tree in a public park or street is also "natural"... yet we restrain ourselves, eh? :cool:

chico2
May 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
I don't think a check-out line at the grocery-store is appropriate,that would mean the mother was standing up:confused:
Otherwise if there is somewhere you can sit down and breastfeed your baby anywhere,it's ok with me.
I worked in a restaurant for a while and I know some people were"disgusted"if a mother breastfed,even though she would have a blanket covering herself,I just cannot see what's disgusting about it.

cpietra16
May 2nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
I breast fed in public , but I always had a cover over myself, for the sack of the public...however I do take offence when you compare breast feeding which is extremely natural and normal to spitting in public, general rudeness and lack of civility. Mind you I could never breast feed while standing, but that's me. I wouldn't want to do it, but i wouldn't take it away from a woman who doesn't mind feeding in public. By the way, a 3 month old is not a kid who could wait...he's an infant who is honestly and innocently hungry. JMO:)

technodoll
May 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
s'ok... we are all entitled to our opinions and talking about them is fun, it encourages different points of view :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
I used to breast feed and make dinner at the same time - but I never did the check out line - thats talent :D

I think women should be allowed to breast feed in public as long as there discreet I dont agree about letting everything hang out for the world to see.
Just put a blanet or a towel over you - if people stare than there just rude.

technodoll
May 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
I think women should be allowed to breast feed in public as long as there discreet I dont agree about letting everything hang out for the world to see.

yeah... i think i've been traumatized once too often by such behavior... :eek: maybe that's why it gives me the heebie-jeebies, LOL! but if done discreetly, in a quiet place, with a blanket or something to cover the act... why not. but in a checkout line? LOL toooo much. :mad:

papillonmama
May 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
I agree that a blanket is a neccessity when breast-feeding in public, however, when I was in the hospital the woman next to me was up allllll night breastfeeding her baby, and I mean alllll night, any time she would stop the baby would start screaming, all babies are different. For me if there's a choice between a bawling infant and a woman breastfeeding, I say feed away. I don't have to look if I don't want to anyway, I do live in Toronto, so I guess I'm used to ignoring things.

Lucky Rescue
May 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
I am much more grossed by seeing some guy with a huge, sweaty, hairy beer belly going shirtless in public than I would ever be by seeing a woman feeding her child.

This North American obsession with breasts is pretty sick. In other cultures, no one sees breast feeding as obscene - it's just part of nature. That's what breasts were created for (not for being pumped full of silicone, bared and sniggered over in men's magazines) and I think it's lovely.;)

meb999
May 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
I am much more grossed by seeing some guy with a huge, sweaty, hairy beer belly going shirtless in public than I would ever be by seeing a woman feeding her child.

I was just about to write the same thing!!!

rainbow
May 2nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
It doesn't bother me either as long as it's done discreetly.

Although, I think I actually would have liked to seen the woman in the supermarket checkout line breast feeding AND taking her groceries out of the cart at the same time !!! :D

And what's even worse than that is the same guy wearing pants that don't stay up so he also shows his butt crack.:eek::eek:

Luba
May 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
There is nothing more wonderful then a baby being nourished by it's mother.

The only issue I have is with the pervs watching the mother and baby, NOT with the mother and baby themselves.

So whip out those boobs and let baby feed ANYwhere!! :D

meggie1425
May 2nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
A line up at a grocery store isnt the right place. I dont disagree with breast feeding in certain public areas(as long as your covered) but the whole world dosent have to see it! ...Alot of people are grossed out by it, and to be honest i kind of am too...(but who am i to judge? ive never had kids!)

Shamrock
May 2nd, 2006, 08:53 PM
Interesting and varying viewpoints.

I agree that a checkout isnt the best place for breastfeeding, given the confined space and close proximityto others.
I'd say to just leave the lineup... take a few minutes to sit down closeby.. and then resume the grocery checkout would have been the better way to go - just as a courtesy to those who "may" not be ok with this.
We all know some are not.
However perhaps the mom felt this was the "least" disruptive solution for all concerned, and it is certainly her right to do so.

Spitting in public around others is just plain revolting. Uriinating in public is too.... (and I think technically illegal)
Breast feeding is certainly neither - dont think it cant be equated in the same context.

Women overall are more relaxed about the whole concept, I believe - for obvious reasons.
Luba mentions the pervs staring at a woman feeding her baby. THAT is revolting without a doubt.

I wonder though how other men feel?
I know that my husband is extremely awkward and uncomfortable with public breastfeeding, and cant get away fast enough. He would hate to feel "trapped" in such a situation - on a bus, in a lineup,etc.
Even in passing a young mom with nursing baby.. he feels compelled to instantly avert his eyes, perhaps afraid of being viewed as voyeuristic.
But - that might be just "his" hangup... part of the older, less enlightened generation that believed that women should be out of sight for "such things".

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
papillion mamma=

I agree that a blanket is a neccessity when breast-feeding in public, however, when I was in the hospital the woman next to me was up allllll night breastfeeding her baby, and I mean alllll night, any time she would stop the baby would start screaming, all babies are different. For me if there's a choice between a bawling infant and a woman breastfeeding, I say feed away. I don't have to look if I don't want to anyway, I do live in Toronto, so I guess I'm used to ignoring things.

that was my baby I fed him everywhere and all night - everywhere except for the grocery store line up - she must have had one of those babies.

one time I was in a mall and I saw a women breast feeding her child - but the child looked like she was 8 years old that sort of wierded me out a bit. But then people thought I was wierd when I breast fed until my youngest was 3 so who am to pass judgememnt.

technodoll
May 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
perhaps for women who are mothers, the concept is less "invasive" than for those of us who are not (mothers, parents...). i have never in my life felt comfortable about breastfeeding, period. it just grosses me out. If i ever had a kid (and i won't... not part of my life plans) i would never breastfeed. but see that is my own personal thing, so of course it taints how i view the world.

interesting thread :thumbs up

Skryker
May 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
I have no problem with public breast feeding, but would prefer to see it done with some discretion-more for the sake of others than mother and baby. I always feel sorry for those guys like Shamrock's husband (and my own) who just honestly don't know what to do with themselves when there's suddenly an exposed breast in public. They don't want to be rude, but they don't want to seem pervy, they want to be supportive of the woman and her choice but don't want to seem like they're "sneaking a peek"! So they run away instead.

We as a culture shouldn't be phazed by this; it should be natural and accepted. But give us a break-we're in transistion from women covered from neck to knees to go swimming to women walking around topless in the summertime. And within about 2 generations, too! That's pretty quick social change. Our kids will likely be far less bothered by it. Unfortunatley, I don't see the over-sexualization of breasts changing anytime soon.:mad:

erykah1310
May 2nd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Not a whole lot left to say here! But I am all for Breast feeding!! (dont have kids but I would breast feed) Although as many people have pointed out, THE CHECK OUT LINE??? Talented!! I have a hard enough time fumbling with the groceries and my wallet, for my future kids safety I wont attempt that one!! LOL
As far as in a mall, if my kid was hungry, Id feed it!!! Descretly of course. I dont see anything offensive about it at all, I am more offended by the disgusting eating habbits displayed by some ppl in the food court:yuck: Or perhps being in a restaurant and the person at the table next to me blows their nose!! ( Gagging thinking of it!!!!)
Breast feeding is natural and IMO a part of life!

divinecalamity
May 3rd, 2006, 12:26 AM
This North American obsession with breasts is pretty sick. In other cultures, no one sees breast feeding as obscene - it's just part of nature. That's what breasts were created for (not for being pumped full of silicone, bared and sniggered over in men's magazines)

I have to agree with this post, north americans are very...I don't know what the word is...but we are not nearly as open as europeans

I agree that breast feeding a baby in public should be welcomed however, I think that doing it in a lineup or a resturant isn't such a good idea. I believe that although you maybe comfortable others may not be, and one should try to respect this. going to a quiet relaxing place is prob best for you and the baby as it is calming

phoenix
May 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
I don't think women should have to be 'discreet'- that is suggestive that they are doing something wrong or disgusting... but I do think that there is a need to be thoughtful of others. If breastfeeding in line was holding other people up, then I think that's just inconsiderate. She should have moved out of line until she was ready to unpack what she was buying and pay, etc. Otherwise, I say go for it. Until it becomes a normal natural part of what people see, it isn't going to be well accepted.
I hate seeing a woman/baby draped in a blanket and hiding what is not shameful in the least. A woman may choose to do this for her own comfort, but that begs the question, why has she been made to feel uncomfortable about this?

technodoll
May 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
I hate seeing a woman/baby draped in a blanket and hiding what is not shameful in the least. A woman may choose to do this for her own comfort, but that begs the question, why has she been made to feel uncomfortable about this?

ummmm.... because i have the right NOT to be submitted to the sight & sounds of a baby sucking and slurping on a stranger's breast in public??! that is why it is called PUBLIC.... do what you want in private but please, when out of that circle of comfort, there is a certain protocol of respect when you're around strangers that says they do not have to be submitted to a private act involving certain body parts and the overall "intimacy" such an act suggests.

now before you all get your panties in a wad, i am not a prude and topless beaches are great: that is because everone there CONSENTS to seeing breasts out in the open. if you don't like it you can leave... now when i am in a restaurant, a theatre, a store, even a park, i am there under the assumption that certain rules apply that society agrees on. why should i be made to feel so uncomfortable in a public place that i have to leave, because one person doesn't care what others think, her crying kid comes first and let's whip out the milk jugs? it's plain disrespectful :mad:

like i said, done disreetly and out of the general view of other people (unless it's family, or a gathering of friends, or the woman ASKS the others around if they mind, etc...), it's fine. babies gotta eat, it's a natural way of doing things, etc. but that does not mean i have to endure it IN PUBLIC.

it's like that time a couple changed their baby's full stinky diaper on the airplane seat. the flight was full, it was the beginning of a 4-hour flight... i wanted to smack them. for 4 hours the entire plane reeked of baby *****, everybody was nauseous from the stench. they got asked to use the washroom to do that, but argued it was "a natural act" and "they had the right since they paid for their seats too". this happened 15 years ago and I am still traumatized, to this day. :yuck:

anyways... end of rant! :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
But if you see a women breast feeding in public - cant you just choose to ignore it - or look the other way.

A women shouldnt have to drive all the way home to breast feed her baby - or go where its not a public place sometimes that isnt an option.

Babies need to fed every few hours and when they are very young all they can have is breast milk or formula up to about 4 - 6 months. Also if a mother does not feed her young baby she can also get very uncomfortable in her milk supply area (if ya know what I mean :o ), and it can be embarrasing for the mom. Lastly breastmilk provides immunities against future diseases that will last the childs whole life - and is better than formula that is often messy and costly. It is easier just to stop and feed your baby then to mix up bottles of formula and breast milk keeps longer than formula too.

The formulas they have now are almost as good as breastmilk. I think BF is a personal choice to me it is a bit wierd watching someone else do it especially before I had kids. My views changed though after I had kids and was put in the position of having to BF in public.

phoenix
May 3rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
now before you all get your panties in a wad,

let's whip out the milk jugs? it's plain disrespectful

I find your choice of terminology more disrespectful than a woman choosing to breastfeed a child in public...

shannonRN
May 3rd, 2006, 09:54 AM
I have zero objections to breast feeding anywhere, at any time. But if there's a sign on the door that reads, "no shirt, no shoes, no service" or that sort of caveat is implied, then I think a certain amount of discretion is required, not because the act is offensive or intimate or any of the above, but only because the rules apply to everyone.

technodoll
May 3rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
phoenix, LOL! you're right. guess i should re-read before posting and censor my free-speaking mind sometimes! :crazy:

some subjects are just too emotional for me to handle.

jessi76
May 3rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
I find your choice of terminology more disrespectful than a woman choosing to breastfeed a child in public...

I wholeheartedly agree.

IMO, it's a beautiful, natural act... a mother caring for her child. Honetly, I would much rather see a woman BF-ing than listen to a SCREAMING baby. Would I choose to do it in a grocery store line? maybe, maybe not. If I saw it, I would probably offer to help the woman w/ her groceries, rather than condemn her for it.

phoenix
May 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks TD :) I appreciate that a lot!

meb999
May 3rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
OFF TOPIC : It's strange how we have preconceived ideas of the people on this board...before I read this thread, I would honestly have thought that TD would have been one of the people who'd be 100% pro-breast-feeding, since you're so pro-natural diet for your pooches. Funny how we have pre-conceived ideas about people :o

I think a woman breastfeeding is beautifull, natural and she shouldn't be ashamed. I haven't decided yet wether or not to breastfeed my own kids (when I'll have them), but if I do, I don't want to be condemed for it. This is what breasts were made for. Although I would probably opt for a towel to cover it, because I know some people might find it uncomfortable.

technodoll
May 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
meb999, LOL! you are so right. i must be one of those freaks of nature... no honestly, i laugh at myself. the whole notion of breastfeeding just grosses me out (can't even watch puppies nurse, yuck) but i can handle chunks of raw slimy liver and beef hearts and fish heads without gagging, LOL! i'll ask my mom what she was drinking when she was pregnant with me! :D
:crazy:

(sorry for the thread jacking, but it had to be said!)

meb999
May 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
meb999, LOL! you are so right. i must be one of those freaks of nature... no honestly, i laugh at myself. the whole notion of breastfeeding just grosses me out (can't even watch puppies nurse, yuck) but i can handle chunks of raw slimy liver and beef hearts and fish heads without gagging, LOL! i'll ask my mom what she was drinking when she was pregnant with me! :D
:crazy:

(sorry for the thread jacking, but it had to be said!)

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/shy.gif Oh! Good! I'm glad, right after I posted I was afraid you'd take it the wrong way...I just meant that we think we know how people will react...

Breastfeeding is such a personal decision, I respect all opinions on the subject!! It's nice to have a healthy debate about controversial stuff...

Prin
May 3rd, 2006, 12:54 PM
Would you give a baby in a stoller a bottle in the checkout line? Yes? You see babies with bottles everywhere... So if there's a need for the drink, there's a need, no? Should women who choose to breastfeed be "punished" because they do so? It seems that way because nobody has a problem with a baby sucking on a bottle of juice, which is actually worse for the baby.

Maybe pumping a bit and using bottles in super public places can be an option, but I also think we're the only mammals out there with a problem with it.

Luba
May 3rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
If anyone were to say anything to me about nursing in public, I would squirt them :D You decide with what!! :p

Bearsmom
May 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
I tried to breastfeed my son, I was made to feel like a complete failure by the public health nurse because it didn't go very well, so I gave up after he was losing more weight than gaining.

She told me that formula is the "evil product of big business". Oh, okay, so my kid's going to starve because he's not latching? Puh lease!!! She also told me that "you're not trying hard enough", and "your child is going to be developmentally challenged". Holy crap, I thought, I'm killing my kid!! Needless to say, at the age of 3, he's more advanced than most 5 year olds.
So, PLAH, to you, public health nurse wierdo!!!

I really don't care when or where women choose to nurse, I do believe in a receiving blanket over the shoulder, but that's my preference.

We were once dining out somewhere, and the lady beside us was feeding her infant, the manager came over and told her she had to go feed in the bathroom. Her reply (and I thought this was CLASSIC), "only if I can piss on your table." I almost died I was laughing so hard.

Luvmypit
May 3rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
"only if I can piss on your table." I almost died I was laughing so hard.
Ahh what a jerk she was bearsmom!!! I hate people like that who will say anything including lies to guilt you into it. A lot of women can't breast feed,
Oh jees that is gooood. lol

I don't think it should be a womans problem if people are uncomfortable with breast feeding. Usually its b/c people see it as sexual organ through no fault of their own. BUt that is something that needs to change. Get used to it.

Back in the day women were not even allowed to show they were pregnant on TV. Let alone say the word pregnant. You would think with all the porn and sexually charged images in the media these days people would be more used to seeing a breast or two.

I would however cover myself only because that is my choice. I know plenty of men that are uncomfortable with it and I do feel bad for them but at the same time why should I? Its not my fault I need to breast feed and its not their fault they were raised a certain way but in the end an innocent needs to eat and that trumps all insecurities and uneasiness. :)

babyrocky1
May 18th, 2006, 09:39 PM
There is nothing more wonderful then a baby being nourished by it's mother.

The only issue I have is with the pervs watching the mother and baby, NOT with the mother and baby themselves.

So whip out those boobs and let baby feed ANYwhere!! :DIm with you on this one Luba, who can get grossed out by that, its the closest thing we mortals have to miraculous on this tired, dirty, old planet. Get some perspective people! LOL
Personally, I was more comfortable with a blanket but even that bothered some people, and honestly Im as shy as they come, but when it came to feeding my daughter perceptions of others werent that big of a deal to me.JoeE Cockers mom, "standing up now thats talent" LOL I was thinking the same thing, the woman is co-ordinated!

Puppyluv
May 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
In most situations, I think that breast feeding in public is a-ok. But disgression really is needed. Lineups at the grocerystore are pretty close quarters, I think that's a little extreme. I understand the baby can't wait very long (I've been babysitting a 7 month old since she was born for full days twice a week, and when she wants her bottle, she wantes her bottle) But the lady could leave the line and just stand a bit to the side.

One thing that gets me is when I'm having a conversation with a mother and she's holding her baby, and all of a sudden she just wips out her breast and starts feeding, no warning, no blanket nothing, she just keeps on with her conversation, while her entire chest is open. A quick warning, or a simple blanket over the chest is all I ask, and to have more than 2 feet between myself and the feeding mother.
With regards to feeding in bathrooms, that's just sick.

catsnatcher-CDN
May 19th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Is breast feeding in public against the law? Just curious.

I wouldn't do it. I'd feel like everyone would be trying to check out my breast and I'd rather choose who gets to see what and when.

But I wouldn't be offended if others did it...what do I care? I'd try to get a glimpse of their breast to compare and contrast. :D

CyberKitten
May 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I agree re breastfeeding being a natural act. Why on earth would anyone hide it? I do believe discretion is required - as with everything - but some ppl just need to get over themselves (like guys who ogle women who breastfeed). I do recall one situation where a nurse I know opted to breastfeed her baby at a public forum - she wanted to see what the thenHealth Minister, an older man, would do - and I think exhibitionism is not required. I did not see her action as discreet. (But she is the type that loves being the centre of attention..)

So, we need some businesses to accomodate women and to stop being so sexist!

heidiho
May 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Ihave to say i dont agree with it in public,yeah it is natural so are alot of other thigns but we dont do them in public.....Cant you prepare some bottles and do it that way.I think it is just uncomfortable seeing a woman anywhere in public breastfeeding,just my opinion....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 20th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Heidi Ho = Cant you prepare some bottles and do it that way.

well that is the wonderful thing about breast feeding the supply is right there in most circumstances the baby would much rather have breast then a bottle. From personal experience breast feeding is usually much more pleasant than pumping. Sometimes when you are out though with your baby - you start to fill up if you leave it too long either way you have to pump or feed you baby - personally I would rather just feed my baby. If someone else is looking after the baby thats when the pump comes in.

Actually my youngest son never had a bottle he flat out refused - so there is always that issue too - some kids never take bottles at all, from anybody especially from me I tried it once and he freaked, like I know you got some for me, why are you shoving this thing in my face.

I agree with being discreet the world doesnt need to see - but if you just think of it like ok that babys hungry and they are getting food, no big deal, instead of .........

that women has her breasts bared under that blanket and I know shes nude under there - and that poor baby under there, he must be horrified - imagine that mother exposing herself like that and tramatizing her child - its so tramatizing I can't even watch - oh you mean I don't have too pheww all that mom is doing is feeding her child - personally I dont see it has a big deal.

Also I dont think it is illegal - if it were jail cells would be full of breast feeding moms - :D

mesaana
May 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I just saw this thread today and I hesitated before posting because I have a pretty... firm opinion on this. :) To put my answer in context, I have no children and have no intention of having children. This being said, breastfeeding is normal, beautiful, and should NEVER be compared to body functions that have for main purpose the elimination of bodily waste.

If I ever see anyone telling a breastfeeding woman to "do that somewhere else" or to "cover herself", I'll be the first one to take her defense. And I can be quite adamant about getting my point across. If you don't want to see it, look elsewhere. Personnally, when I see a woman breastfeeding her baby, it makes me smile. It's a tender moment between mother and child and should be cherished as such.

Just my opinion...

heidiho
May 20th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I dont think it is a big deal either,but i dont think it is appropiate to do in all places.......I wouldnt care to see someones breast out in public(restaurants,and such) but i think maybe with a blanket or something pulled up it is no big deal...Sex is natural to but we dont do that in public..ha ha :eek: :eek:

Puppyluv
May 20th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Sex is natural to but we dont do that in public..ha ha :eek: :eek:
Speak for yourself! ;)

did I just say that?.....

Prin
May 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
hmm... I don't really think that sex and breastfeeding are the same as far as nature goes... I think considering breasts as merely sexual "tools" is what got us in this mess in the first place (so maybe breastfeeding and sex shouldn't be in the same sentence...).

phoenix
May 21st, 2006, 10:06 AM
considering breasts as merely sexual "tools" is what got us in this mess in the first place

lol Prin... what mess? getting pregnant??:eek:

but I do agree with you.

Prin
May 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM
lol no the mess of breastfeeding actually being a subject to debate. You don't see the apes all shunning the breastfeeding moms of the herd (or is it a tribe? Or a pack? I guess it can't be a tribe because we don't share our titles with animals... What's a group of Apes? :o)

heidiho
May 21st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Hee hEE ,TO FUNNY,

glasslass
May 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM
I've never been a Mom before either, but I've noticed that some clothing fashions are more adaptable to discreet breastfeeding than other styles. I believe some are even designed just for that purpose, like nursing bras. I think "how" a mother does it makes a big difference. I would be a bit uncomfortable if she "bares her chest" doing it. Just bare what's necessary. Honestly, I've been around friends and didn't really even notice they were doing it. It was no big deal; not a production. A couple of my friends had difficulty breastfeeding. There is a group here called "la leche" that I believe is like a support group just do address the difficulties new moms encounter. Does this exist elsewhere?

Puppyluv
May 21st, 2006, 04:05 PM
They sure do Glasslass, It's an international network
Here is the Canadian Link: http://www.lalecheleaguecanada.ca/

Here is the international link:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/

And Prin, it can be either a "troop of apes" or a "shrewdness of apes".

Prin
May 22nd, 2006, 12:48 AM
Really? Wow, I so would have lost the money for that question on Jeopardy..:o

meb999
May 24th, 2006, 04:35 PM
And Prin, it can be either a "troop of apes" or a "shrewdness of apes".

Really? a shrewdness of apes??? I wonder who comes up with this stuff....

CyberKitten
May 24th, 2006, 06:51 PM
The La Leche people, mostly all volunteers do great work. My sil is currently breastfeeding and while she did not need help - having a doctor in the family and a mother who is a nurse, some women do need extra support for breastfeeding and they are wonderful in that regard!

LM1313
May 30th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I think the checkout line would be a tricky place to breastfeed, but if the woman was talented enough to do it there while unloading her groceries . . . hey, why not? I'm not offended by it. It's not a big deal, it's just a baby getting a meal. Our society is offcenter. Heaven forbid we see a breast doing what it's actually DESIGNED to do, but it's okay to have a rack of magazines in the same checkout line showing barely clad super-boobs, or unclad boobs covered by only the model's hands (or someone else's hands!!)

I definitely don't think moms should be regulated to a car (crowded, cramped, and hot) or, worse, a public restroom. Most public restrooms don't have toilet lids (the ones that cover the whole toilet). So every time you flush, germs are tossed up into the air, landing who knows where. (This is why you should always close the lid at home, especially if you keep your toothbrush in the bathroom. EWWW!) Feeding a child in there is a nauseating thought.

~LM~