Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grooming Dogs Yourself

Mom2Cookie
May 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone here clips and grooms thier own dogs. I looked into getting it professionally done, but $50 for a 4 lb dog every few months seems a big rediculous to me, when I can just by the clippers for $200 and do it myself. :eek:

If you do I have a couple of questions for you. First, is there a place I can go to learn how to do it (in the GTA)? and Secondly, for a ****z-Tzu, what type of clippers (and attachements) do you reccomend I buy?

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

lezzpezz
May 2nd, 2006, 02:32 PM
I'll trade ya dogs! I have a 110 lb. double coated Great Pyrenese and I was just thinking about posting the same type of questions, such as what type of clippers work!!:p

I learned how to do basic grooming when I worked for a vet years ago, so I know how to do a nice trim for her, but I simply cannot find clippers that will get thru her super heavy coat!! Have purchased and then returned various sets of clippers and I guess I need professional ones, like Oster brand, but wowsers! are they costly! I only clip her down fully for the summer, (she LOVES it!!), so I have been paying a groomer to do so, but I have the know-how, just can't locate the appropriate tools! Any suggestions out there??

I'm wondering if you could volunteer at a grooming place for a wee while to learn the tricks and tools of the trade. Now would be a time that your services would be handy as it is the season! You could also get some books from the library that show you basic cuts. I have a few that I actually bought after seeing them at the library and they are very good resources with great pictures.

I like the third one as I feel it is a good standard....

1) The all breed dog grooming guide Kohl, Sam
New York / Arco 2nd ed. 1984 265 p. : ill.

2) A dog owner's guide to grooming your dog : a practical step-by-step program for maintaining and impr Ruiz, Suzanne.
Morris Plains, NJ : Tetra Press, c1987.

3) The Stone guide to dog grooming for all breeds. Stone, Ben.
New York : Howell Book House, 1981.

Ironic how you and I have the same grooming issues but totally opposite dogs when it comes to size:D

muckypup
May 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Some grooming schools like Dog’s by Bryson in Caledon East have discounted student rates.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
I have come to the conclusion that I suck at grooming and I am now leaving up to the professionals they do a much better job - and Joey doesnt look like he was attacked with a weed wacker - but thats just me.

I do the brushing and the bath part. :D

The first groomer I went to only charged 30.00 and basically just shaved him - the other one charged 60.00 but she did a really good job - so I guess you get what you pay for.

mafiaprincess
May 2nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Cider got groomed well once.. Got a chunk that needed surgery once, and wasn't clipped down enough once.

I have trimmed her feet religiously, done nails, ears and teeth since we got her.. and don't think those parts have been getting done when groomed. So I gave up. My neighbour has had evil experiences with all the local grooming places.

So I borrowed her clippers and am learning.. Least with clippers it doesn't look liek the weed wacker attack that trimming by hand was, but the clippers are dull and possibly not powerful enough for that much hair..

So I've been looking into clippers but don't really want to shell out $230 plus taxes for decent ones. If it's just a trim down, it doesn't take too much to learn with a calm dog. If you really want cutsie styles I think you'd need a book, dvd, or an experts guidance.

Daizy
May 5th, 2006, 11:05 AM
I totally think you should do it yourself - I groom Daisy and it does take time to get it right (after a year of doing it myself I've finally gotten the top knotch fairly okay!) - and at least if you try, it gives you another option, as well as you can take your dog to the groomers occassionally too.

LibbyP
May 5th, 2006, 11:24 AM
What we do with our old boy (who is a hound) but he has really thick wire like hair(has a problem with hot spots in the summer) is I send him to the groomers at the beginning of the season then I just maintain with normal clippers after that, doesn't take as long because all the longer hair is gone and you can follow where the pro went with the clippers:pawprint:

Bushfire2000
May 5th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I found that the cheep clippers from Walmart (24.99) do a fairly good job. And although they do dull after a couple of cuts even if you replace them you've saved a pile of money.
I have three who need cuts, Cocoa I do with scissors, Buster with the clippers and Lacey goes to the groomers at least once a year and the rest of the year she can get by with a trim from me.

Buster takes two or three goes to get him looking good. I'm not fast so I don't want him to get too bored, it can take a week to cut all of him.
Lacey I need help to cut, someone has to hold her.
And last time I did Cocoa she fell asleep mid way.

It's hard to find a good groomer so shop around and ask for references.
I took one of my dogs to a groomer(who shall remain nameless) and weeks after we'd been there I stopped at a red light in front of their building ,my dog tried to jump out the opisate side of the car and howled, he hated that place. But they'd assured me that he'd been fine and no trouble at all. Needless to say we never went there again.

erykah1310
May 5th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I have come to the conclusion that I suck at grooming and I am now leaving up to the professionals they do a much better job - and Joey doesnt look like he was attacked with a weed wacker - but thats just me.

Thats friggen hilarious,
I did meiko once on my own and he looked like crinkled velvet!!!!!!!:sorry:
I think he even knew he looked bad!!!
Id leave it to the pros!!!! LOL

glasslass
May 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM
There are videos that teach you to groom different breeds. A helpful forum is www.groomers.org . There are members who are professional groomers and are very helpful giving advice to owners just wanting to do their own pets. I wouldn't normally push another forum but it really doesn't compete with this one. It deals specifically with grooming and equipment.

glasslass
May 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
By the way, I do Den-Den myself and use Oster's Golden A5 clippers. You can buy all kinds of different blades to use with it. Mine is the single speed model.

Cinnabear
May 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM
You do a wonderful job Glasslass. I have the double speed model Oster's. It's well worth the money spent on good clippers. I do nothing fancy but shave a dog and a cat.