Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Birding

Yoshua
May 1st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Ever since we brought our newborn baby home, one of our cat has been bringing in birds. He has hunted birds before but never as frequently. Furthermore, he seems to bring them to me every time as if he wants to bribe me for attention, sometimes the whole bird, sometimes just the heart ---uurrgh. We are not sure what to do, as the bells he is wearing don't seem to help at all. I don't think punishing him is really an answer and declawing is not something we believe in either. Any other options??? Just getting worried as he is seriously decimating the bird population in the area, not to mention that it is grosse and unsanitary. We have really tried to make the transition with bringing baby home as smooth as possible and were successful with the other two pets but he seems to take it a lot harder!!! Any ideas?????

LM1313
May 1st, 2006, 02:10 PM
Well, you could turn him into an indoor cat. :)

Other options:

Are the birdfeeders or birdbaths in your yard out in the open without anywhere around them where the cat can hide?

Glad to hear you're not declawing him, that would be extremely hazardous for an outdoor kitty. And you're right not to scold; nothing will override his instinct to hunt birds and he does mean well.

~LM~

Kerrye
May 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM
Hi
I agree with turning him into an indoor cat. I keep mine indoors 24/7. I keep lots of toys to keep them busy. I don't like all the possible problems they can get into outside. cat fights, viruses, bacteria, worms ( all kinds of them - round, tape, whip) toxoplasmosis and not to mention contact with cars - which never has a very good outcome. Just a thought.

Writing4Fun
May 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM
I also agree with turning him into an indoor cat. My cat was an indoor/outdoor cat, and I lost him way too early. :( If I had to do it all over again, he would have been strictly indoors, despite all his protests. An outdoor cat has half the lifespan of an indoor cat.

But, as far as the birds go, I've read that this is a display of deep affection for you. I'm really not sure whether ignoring it completely or loving him up like crazy will work better. Sorry I can't be of any better help. :o