Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cutting the *quick*....

JKC27
May 1st, 2006, 11:18 AM
Is this a serious matter? I have heard that it can be.....don't know if that is just urban legend or not.

I almost did it yesterday. My cat (Wendel) kind of pulled his paw away and I accidently almost cut through it. Seemed like it kind of bothered him, but not really. So I just cut the tip off like usual, but the claw is basically 1/2 cut off further back, were it to have been but all the way through, I most definatley would have got the quick, so I just left it as is, with the nick in it.

jessi76
May 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
you'll KNOW if you hit the quick, there will be blood. It's not a major big deal if you just nick it, but it is painfull and traumatic for the animal. If you trim nails at home, it's helpfull to have styptic powder on hand. If you nick the quick, simply dab a small amount of this on the claw - it will stop the bleeding. It's inexpensive, found at most pet supply stores.

you may want to be sure he doesn't RIP that claw off on anything...

I suppose it could become quite serious if you cut the quick deep enough, causing major pain & bleeding. It could also be vulnerable to infection if not treated properly.