Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog eats poop! Help!

Spoiled
December 27th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I can't stand it. Whenever me and my dog go for a walk and I let him off leash, he eats whatever poop he can find. We walk down that path so often, that he knows right where to find the poop. Please reply if you have an idea to help me. I don't know how long I can take it.

Thanks

LavenderRott
December 27th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Don't let him off his leash.

LavenderRott
December 27th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Don't let him off his leash.

mona_b
December 27th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Question.Does he eat his?

Lucky Rescue
December 27th, 2003, 01:37 PM
You need to teach him the "Leave it" command, and stop letting him off leash until he understands and obeys it.

I must say I'm a bit puzzled. You know he does this every time you let him off leash, yet you continue to let him off leash.:confused:

Luba
December 28th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Yes there is the question, does he eat his own?

and

Geepers creepers someone's not pooper scoopin, is it cat or dog poop?

No off lead time for poochie until poochie don't eat poopie. Your dog can get VERY ill you know, from contaminated and infected feces from other canines. You have to be very careful, or your dog can get worms and virus' galore... I dont think u wanna put ur or your dog and your bank acct through that!

Spoiled
December 29th, 2003, 11:05 PM
No, he doesn't eat his own. Also, its not me that needs to do pooper scooping, its the people that don't pick up after their dogs. It is dog poop. Who knows what he'd be like if he got into CAT poop. Bentley knows the "leave it" command very well, but once he gets that poop into his mouth, there isn't a very big chance of him dropping it. I can't always be watching him to see if he is picking up poop. I let him off leash when I know that he's heeling, or when he's playing with his doggy friends. But does he ever sniff out that poop well!

Luba
December 30th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Well I think until the dog learns not to eat the poop maybe u shouldn't let him off lead. Sucks but hey better then him gettin sick right :)

Now, I recall someone using a spray bottle and spraying piles of poop with something nasty smelling but not harmful to dogs that they won't touch it.

I can't remember what it is though, does anyone else? A trainer on TV uses this method all the time and it works wonders.

U can carry the spray bottle with u and spray the piles BEFORE u let him off lead. When he goes to them he'll have a few sniffs and eventually will learn its grosse!!

We just gotta learn what is in the spray ??

HELP

Spoiled
December 30th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks! I'll keep him on leash or call him to heel where I know there's poop. Also I might give him a toy/treat/bone when I take him for walks, as he'll hold these and not sniff around for poop.