- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


sick cat

heidi van s
May 1st, 2006, 11:07 AM
this is a long post. Sorry but the information is important.
I desperately need your advice. My 12 year old neutered male cat became ill a month ago. I was away in the States at the time and my daughter told me that he had been vomiting a green substance. When I returned I observed him and he didn't stop so took him to the vet. He was given an antibiotic and medication to stop the vomiting. The diagnosis, inflammation of the stomach. Needless to say this continued with Socks becoming more dehydrated. I called the vet on standby (holiday) because I was extremely worried about his condition. He refused to drink or eat anything and was becoming more dehydrated. The vet gave him a quick IV into the side more shots of antibiotic and to stop the vomiting. I had to take him back to the vet and they immediately put him on an IV for 2 days with the same medication. They did a blood test checked for the usual diseases and an x-ray but nothing was wrong. I got him home on the Thursday and had to start the antibiotic tabs and the anti vomiting tabs on the Friday morning, but he eventually brought this up as well. The result was that, that evening we had to take him to a specialised vet. An echo was done straight away but revealed nothing except the lining of the stomach wall was too white and this was the only thing the vet found which was a little abnormal. Socks was put back on IV with medication to stop vomiting and antibiotics. A biopsy of the liver, pancreas and stomach wall was performed on the Monday. The white specks which the vet was concerned about were bits of fat scattered around on the stomach lining but no cancer or tumours. The tests revealed nothing wrong. In the meantime my cat had nothing to eat and was after the op only eating to say the least basically nothing at all. They decided to tube feed him and he is still on IV with the same medication. A week has passed now. Further blood tests revealed that where there was a slight increase in the liver and pancreas functions this has almost returned to normal. What can we do? The vet said that I could possibly tube feed him at home which I am more than prepared to do but how long do you think this will have to continue before my cat starts eating on his own and enough to come off the tube and also when should the vomiting stop?
I appreciate advice from anyone with experience in this!Thanking you most kindly

May 1st, 2006, 01:12 PM

I dont know if this info is of any help but I have had two cats that had fatty liver syndrome. One of my cats was at the OVC in intensive care for 6 weeks for other complications and ended up with fatty liver syndrome. He did have a feeding tube placed in his neck but he managed to pull that out so while they were doing another surgery on him they put in an upper GI feeding tube. This worked and when I brought him home we feed him every few hours. He manage to pull the tube out after a couple of weeks but he did start to eat on his own. The other cat we had decided to stop eating and she also ended up with fatty liver syndrome. The vet placed a tube through her neck and into her esophogus. My daughter and I took shifts and feed her every 2-3 hours. We did this for approx 10 days until she started eating on her own. The vet said that they may take upto 10 weeks to start eating on their own.
If your kitty needs this type of intervention, it really isnt that bad - just stick with a strict feeding routine. We found that if we added a small amount of warm water to the canned food (vet supplied) and blended the food to a very liquid form it was easier to pass the food through the syringe.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck

heidi van s
May 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM
hello Kerrye, and thanks for your reply. Today it's a holiday in Belgium so tomorrow I will phone the vet and hopefully, as he suggested , I can bring Socks home and carry on with his tube feeding. The one thing that concerns me is the reason for him still wanting to vomit if the medication is reduced or omitted, which happened at the clinic when his IV came loose. I am sure though there must be some medication that I can give to Socks through the tube feeding for this. I am so very worried . He has been there for 10 days and it is costing us 50 Euros a day and so far the bill is 1000.oo euros apart from all the previous costs that I have had from the previous vets about 300. I think one has to draw the line somewhere and now is the time to take further action ie further treatment at home, since they cannot find anything the matter with him and he has undergone alll this intervention. If you have any tips for tube feeding or anything further that would help me I would appreciate your advice.We are trying to stay positive and I will do what it takes to get him well again. I got him at 5 weks old from the RSPCA in South Africa and love him with all my heart!
thanks ever so much

May 1st, 2006, 02:09 PM
I don't know why Socks keeps vomitting - hopfully the vet can figure this out. Maybe the feeding tube is positioned to far down his throat? Maybe the vomitting will stop when his liver starts to function a little better. Anyway if you decide to do the tube feeding at home - its really not at all difficult. Just keep with it and hopefully Socks will make a full recovery. When my female cat Morgan had fatty liver syndrome - her skin was a bright orange colour. Does Socks have this?

Good luck

heidi van s
May 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM
Hello Kerrye, Socks doesn't have an orange colour at all.The vet also couldn't find any definite signs of liver damage but he did say that tomorrow he would do another blood test. His tube is in the aesophagus. I will let you know tonorrow what the outcome is as I will phone at 9am when they open. I just feel that Socks will be more comfortable at home as well , in his own surroundings as there is a lot of noise in the area where he is too ( sick dogs as well). He is a very sensitive cat.

May 1st, 2006, 04:10 PM
Heidi,I just wanted to add,good luck with Socks:fingerscr
He's lucky to have such a good mom:love:
I believe he will do better once he comes home!

heidi van s
May 2nd, 2006, 02:32 AM
Hello to Kerrye and chico2, I have just phoned the vet and he is busy with an appointment and he hasn't had time to check on the condition of Socks yet. I know that vets are busy but I am a little annoyed at this point. One would think that this is the first thing on their schedule when they arrive in the morning! So I have to wait untill later this morning for the verdict.
I went to visit Socks yesterday, as I have done everyday since he has been in the clinic, and his little paw was swollen (the one with the iv) about double the size of his normal paw. I called the student vet as they are on duty over the weekends and night time, the response was that the bandage was too tight, my goodness anyone could see this, so why didn't they do something about it? My poor cat kept on shaking his paw because oviously it was so swollen that it was hurting him! I am mad actually.
Anyway, I will keep you posted of events and I would like to say, thanks for your interest and support, it's so comforting to know that others care!
Waiting anxiously!:sad:

May 2nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
Heidi,of course we care:love:
I can understand your anger and frustration,but like if we had a two-legged friend in hospital,sometimes we have to point out things the staff might have missed.
It's scary though,it makes you wonder what else they miss:confused:
Hopefully beautiful Socks will be able to come home soon.
I know my 3 cats are totally stressed at the vets,but of course they are not sick like Socks.
If he is well enough to be cared for at home,that could be the best medicin:love:

heidi van s
May 2nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Chico2, Yes you are correct, It's just well, animals are so helpless. We will see Socks again this evening and the vet says that the blood test results should be in so we can now discuss when socks will be allowed to come home. I really hope it is this evening. I am so stressed and upset about my poor cat, there seems to be a silver lining!
Will know tonight, keeping fingers crossed!

May 2nd, 2006, 12:05 PM
:fingerscr for Socks
Im so sorry that you are going through this!!!:sad:
Wishing Socks and you the best
(Sorry I dont have any advice)

May 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
I hope everything goes well. I'll be thinking of Socks. Sorry for his poor little paw. I can't believe they didn't notice this on their own. Glad that Socks has someone like you who cares.

May 2nd, 2006, 05:10 PM
So sorry to hear what you and Socks are going through.:grouphug: Hope he will be well enough to come home with you.:fingerscr You are a very caring mom.:angel:

heidi van s
May 3rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Hello to all of you who have sent us best wishes. Socks came home last night and I had to tube feed him for the first time. All went well until this morning.Now that he is off the iv and only gets his feeding through the tube it's reallly scary. He brought up his first feed including his medication. I was really disheartened. The vet said that this could happen about twice a day. He gets 4 feeds per day. Neverthess, his second feed he also threw up not but so much. I called the vet. I really don't want him to go back to the clinic if I can help it at all! Anyway I have fed him again an hour ago and all is well. He is resting quietly now. I have to feed him again at about 9.
If anyone else has advice please I am open to any suggestions. I have to get Socks to start eating and drinking on his own eventually, somehow, maybe he just needs time.
Thanks for all your support!
Kindest regards
heidi and socks:fingerscr

May 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Awww Heidi,I am sure Socks feels 100% better just being home surrounded by love.
I too hope he does not have to go back to the clinic:fingerscr
I have no advice to give,but when he starts feeding on his own,buy him the best canned food you can get,something he'll hopefully love..and keep down.

heidi van s
May 3rd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Hi chico2, Yes I will do that for sure. I can't wait for the day he is back to his good old self. Almost time for the last feed for tonight I pray that he keeps it down!
Have a good evening,
Thank you once again.