Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice

Kona1
May 1st, 2006, 10:45 AM
I have a lab with severe environmental allergies. She is currently on steriods, but I only give them when she's really scratching. Her coat is very dull. I have heard that salmon and fish oil vitamins are good. How much would I give and does it help with the scratching at all.
Is there anything out there besides all this medication that I can give her.:(

Luba
May 1st, 2006, 11:06 AM
I completely changed my dogs diet and now home cook only.

My westie who has now passed on had the same problems and with a dietery change it boosted his immune system and never needed meds again.
I still home cook for my 2 yr old collie now.

There are many types of fish oils and omega fatty acid oils and capsuls. The synthetic ones are chemicals and may also cause a rebound type of same allergic reaction.

If you are going to use fish oils I would recommend going to a natural health food store and getting pure ingredients.

If it were me I'd start off by a dietery change. There could be things in the food that are aggrivating the immune system.

Try to start off encorporating some whole foods into your dogs diet.
Sardines are wonderful and very inexpensive. Get them prepared in spring water and mix a tin with some of the present food.

I would buy a bottle of flax seed oil and add a tablespoon once a day to the food. Takes time to see an improvement and if you should decide to start home cooking there are tonnes of resources available. There's no downside!

It's really easy to do and will only benefit your doggie! Best of luck!

Kona1
May 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
I never thought of Sardines. I have tuna and thought about giving it, but wasn't sure how much to give. Would I give it on a daily basis? She was switched to the Wellness Venison for about a year now, so I don't think it's her food.

Flax seed oil, I'm guessing you can buy at a grocery store? I have been putting olive oil in her food for about two weeks now, but I don't see any improvement.