Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ewwwww- skunk remedy?

Dog Mom
May 1st, 2006, 10:05 AM
We went out to the lake this weekend and Zoe found a "New Toy" aka dead skunk. Before we could get her away she rolled on it:sick:, lets just say it was still pretty ripe. Now she reeks like skunk all over her body!! I've tried using tomato juice and baking soda, all that did was tint the white parts a weird orange colour. Anyone have any home remedies? we called the vet and he offered to send some "skunk off" but we are going out of town in a few days so we are just going to pick it up and save on shipping.

Lucky Rescue
May 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Tomato juice does not remove odour.

Here's what you need:

1 quart (or liter) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2.
Use fresh (unopened) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide eventually turns into water (H2O).
1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of Liquid Soap
1 pair of plastic or latex gloves

Here's how to use:

Bathe the dog outside or, if it's too dark or cold, in the bathroom with the door closed and window opened.

Combine the ingredients in an open container (do not store in a sealed bottle--it will explode).

Using gloves, wash your dog with lukewarm water and the mixture while the mixture is bubbling. Work the mixture well into the fur.

Be sure to concentrate on the area that was sprayed.

Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes or so before rinsing off.

Rinse the dog with lukewarm tap water. Don't wash the mixture into your dog's eyes (use a washcloth to cover the eyes if you're rinsing the head).

Luba
May 1st, 2006, 10:36 AM
Oh stinky mess!

I have been there done that many times, good luck to you!

Dog Mom
May 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM
LR - what kind of liquid soap? or does it matter?
lol i put her in the tub when we got home that day and my house still smells like skunk!! It's warm today +19 already so I think I'll bath her outside this time :). Zoe's havin issues because she's not allowed on the couch until she's un-smelly!!

Lucky Rescue
May 1st, 2006, 11:29 AM
The liquid soap referred to means dish washing liquid. I find Dawn is good to use on animals!

Lise
May 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Been there done that.Lucky's formula works great used it on our beardie Tess at around midnight!She didn't get to sleep in our bed that night.

Dog Mom
May 3rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
Zoe thanks you LR :) she's no longer smelly and allowed on the couch again!

meb999
May 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
I'll be keeping that recipe!! Buster is a little too interested in the neighborhood skunks...