Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need desperate help with Commands!!

jeannie00
April 30th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Valentine has been doing so awesome. Ever since we blocked off her crate, she has not had one accident yet. And she hasnt had an accident in the house in a long time now.

Although we are having problems outta doing commands with her. She is very very bad about jumping on people. We push her down and scold her and tell her no jumping but she keeps doing it. She is very bad about jumping. Any suggestions on how to break her from that.

Also too, we have been taking her on walks, and we cannot get her to walk with us. She tries to run off ahead of us, and she walks behind us tripping us with her leash. How do we go about training her to walk with us. She walks so far ahead of us, that she chokes herself with her chain, and she walks just on her hind legs, her front paws are up in the air, while being choked. We dont know how to get her to walk with us. We need desperate help. Please if someone can help us with these commands, wed really appreciate it.

Were also having a hard time getting her to lay down. she will lay down for like a few seconds and she jumps right back up. She is very hard headed when it comes to telling her to lay down. Although she has the sit command and the shake command down pat. Shes awesome with those two commands. Just the others is what we have problems with

rainbow
April 30th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Have you taken her to any obedience classes yet? If not, that would be a very good place to start.:pawprint:

kaytris
April 30th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Have you considered enrolling in an obedience class? All those issues will be addressed, and you'll have an opportunity to practice around good distractions (people, treats, other dogs)

For the jumping, I'd recommend a few things:
-all the pushing, scolding,etc is giving her what she wants - attention. So, time to ignore her. If you have someone who can help, set this up: have her leashed, and you hold her by the front door. Your helper comes through the door and says hi calmly to her - if she doesn't jump, she gets quiet praise and a pat. If she does jump, you can give a verbal "too bad" or "oops" and your helper turns abruptly and goes out the door. Wait a few seconds, helper comes back in, says hello, quiet praise, etc.

Once she is rock solid at this (and many dogs get this within one or two 5-10 minute sessions), start telling her to sit before the door opens. Same procedure, but if she breaks the sit, your helper leaves. Once you've got that step, take it on the road.. same procedure, but the lack of a door makes the departure a bit less obvious. Still, your helper has to turn and walk a few feet away, keeping his back turned.

Walking politely is a difficult one for many dogs - you may want to consider one of the management tools to make your walks easier - I really like the Easy Walk harnesses. Some ideas for training exercises: http://www.joelwalton.com/gpage1.html

And work on the downstay slowly.. once she is reliably (95%successful) at 4 seconds, then do 8 4 second stays, and two 6 second stays. Slowly increase the number of 6 second stays, then move to two 4 second stays, 6 6 second stays, and 2 10 second stays, mixing it up so she never knows how long you will require her to not move. And always remember to have a clear end to the exercise - a release word that tells her when to move ("Okay" is common, or "Free" or "Release" or if you want to be bilingual, "Finis".) If she gets up before the release word, calmly and quietly put her back in the down position. (For now, she should always be on leash while training)

LM1313
April 30th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Also too, we have been taking her on walks, and we cannot get her to walk with us. She tries to run off ahead of us, and she walks behind us tripping us with her leash. How do we go about training her to walk with us. She walks so far ahead of us, that she chokes herself with her chain, and she walks just on her hind legs, her front paws are up in the air, while being choked. We dont know how to get her to walk with us. We need desperate help. Please if someone can help us with these commands, wed really appreciate it.

Okay, a quick lesson on proper use of a choke chain . . . It shouldn't actually be choking the dog. ;) When my dad tried to walk my dog, he would do the same thing you're doing . . . just let her pull ahead, assuming that once she felt the chain pull tight, she'd let up. HA HA! It would take more than that to stop Ebony in full gear!

The idea behind the choke chain is that it's slack almost all the time. When you're dog starts pulling ahead, you pull back with a quick snap and release. The chain is only taut for a split second, bringing the dog's attention back to it and you.

Here's how walks with Ebony would go when she was learning:

Dog is walking beside you to start out-- "Good dog! Good girl!"
Dog bounds too far-- "No!" Quick jerk on the leash, then immediately provide slack again.
Praise like crazy when the dog is in the correct position again. Pat your leg to help clue her in. Give treats. Anything that works!

Also, if you toss out random, sudden commands on your walk like "sit!" or "down!", your dog will learn to pay attention to you and what you're doing. Also very good practice in case you get into a dangerous situation, like if the leash breaks or something. You want the dog to put that butt on the ground the minute she hears "sit!"

Another good habit is having your dog wait until YOU step off the curb before she goes.

First, make sure she does NOT get off the curb ahead of you. Keep the leash shortened in your hand as you approach the edge of the sidewalk.
If she starts to step off, give a little jerk back on the leash and say "wait!"
Make a big show of looking both ways down the street. (I always hoped Ebony would pick up that cars were dangerous from this . . . Not sure if it worked, LOL!)
Take a huge, dramatic step off the sidewalk--the hammier the better, you want your dog to catch this and make the connection.
Tug gently on the leash for her to follow, praising like crazy as she does.

jessi76
May 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM
honestly, it sounds like obedience classes are in order, not just for your dog, but to teach YOU the techniques. Find a dog school that uses positive reinforcement training methods, and go from there. To minimize damage from pulling on the leash, get a harness... then get to dog school to learn how to teach good manners to your dog.

Although great advice & support is here, no amount of online advice can take the place of hands-on training.

erykah1310
May 1st, 2006, 09:31 AM
Find a dog school that uses positive reinforcement training methods, and go from there.
Just want to point out that this should be in BOLD lettering!! Its ver important!!!
DO NOT go to classes where they use harsh corrections, I enrolled my Border Collie in classes where the instructor was telling us to correct the dogs by giving a jerk on the choke chain!!:mad: NEVER!!
We quit!!!

Rockblind
May 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Just want to point out that this should be in BOLD lettering!! Its ver important!!!
DO NOT go to classes where they use harsh corrections, I enrolled my Border Collie in classes where the instructor was telling us to correct the dogs by giving a jerk on the choke chain!!:mad: NEVER!!
We quit!!!

I would guess you do not have a choke collar on your dog?

LM1313
May 4th, 2006, 02:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with using a check chain as a correction. It's not harsh or cruel if used correctly. Recently there seems to be a trend of only using praise and treats to train a dog . . . Well, praise is a vital part of training and treats can be useful (though I don't like to depend on them too much), but there's nothing wrong with correcting a dog or telling him "no."

Interestingly, I read a dog book that suggested that the sound of the check collar is really what focuses the dog, so if you aren't comfortable using an all chain collar, you can try one of the ones that has nylon for the part around the dog's neck and a bit of chain higher up that attaches to the leash.

~LM~

erykah1310
May 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I would guess you do not have a choke collar on your dog?
Not for a long time now, after those classes that was enough of that, he now has a traditional collar, as does Puppy and Kita has a chain but not one that tightens, and it is just decorative, when we are in the house or playing in the yard she doesnt have any collar on!

There's nothing wrong with using a check chain as a correction. It's not harsh or cruel if used correctly.
The way we were being asked to correct was cruel! I know that when used correctly they are great training tools, but too many people are using them to tie out their dogs. ( I know alot dont, but face it some do) That i dont agree with, At all!!!!