Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stomach too Sensitive too touch

JoeMonet
April 30th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Hello all- First time post, long time unregisterd reader...
I have an American Eskimo/female/11 yrs old/spayed... she is still very active, will play with me like she is 3 yrs old... as of yesterday, I noticed she couldn't jump onto the couch... I examined her paws and there wasn't anything... but when I came close to her stomach she yelped. I flipped her over and slowly and carefully felt her stomach, but could not find anything. She is eating and does not have diarrhea and like I said, will still run around like nothing is the matter? I'm stumped... the only thing I could think of is; maybe she is having an allergic reaction to the dog food I swiched to about a month ago (purina one- sensitive system-made with salmon and yogurt)?? Side note; I switched to that one becuz Monet was occasionally throwing up... approx once a week ... I thouhgt maybe in her older age her stomach was getting sensitve...
This morning/afternoon I only fed her a small bowl of plain white rice and some ham pieces... I thought maybe it was the dog food and I could calm her system down with some rice- which she loves- I figure I can do this for a week and see how she is doing? If she's good in a few days, then I will know it was the dog food; If she's not better after a few days, I guessing I should get her an x-ray at the vets to see whats going on... I'm getting nervous, I know it's only been 1 day, but... well, you know.. my dogs are family to me...

Lucky Rescue
April 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM
You're right to take her to the vet. Lots of reasons for vomiting and painful abdomen in an 11 year old dog, some of them quite serious.

Please let us know what the vet says and good luck!

rainbow
April 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM
- I figure I can do this for a week and see how she is doing? If she's good in a few days, then I will know it was the dog food; If she's not better after a few days, I guessing I should get her an x-ray at the vets to see whats going on... I'm getting nervous, I know it's only been 1 day, but... well, you know.. my dogs are family to me...

I don't think you should wait a week....take her to a vet right away.:pawprint:

the gang
April 30th, 2006, 09:04 PM
go to the vet asap, she is telling you something if her tummy is sore to touch, something is up please seek help and good luck keep us posted :fingerscr

SnowDancer
May 1st, 2006, 12:52 PM
I also have an American Eskimo - 2 year old male. I would take your Eskie to the vet as soon as possible. I really don't think it is the food. Please let us know what the vet says. 11 is not old for an Eskimo.

JoeMonet
May 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
Hi Ya'll... for those that cared enough to respond to me; thought you'd like to know that my Monet is doing awesome. I did not need to take her to the vet afterall (sorry guys I know that is what everyone was pushing for)... the same day I wrote the post, ********************************** because the next morning she was back to her normal self... jumping on the couch, wanting to wrestle with me, letting me scratch her belly, etc etc... It was a giant relief off of me... if you couldn't tell by my desperate post... I was extremly worried... lol...

I understand the responses from everyone though... and believe me when I say, I was ready to take her into the vet that morning. I love my pooches too much not give them the best care!! I wish other would do the same... it pains me to see how others treat or should I say, Mistreat they're dogs... but thats entirely another post...

I highly recommend to everyone to watch the HBO documentary, "Dealing Dogs"... It's a real eye opener.

Thanks again for those that responded!!

JessXx
May 21st, 2006, 10:52 PM
Hi,
Im super glad to hear that your dog is doing well again! :)

Prin
May 22nd, 2006, 01:28 AM
For future reference, if you're looking for a pain killer for pets, Tylenol is NOT a safe choice. Please speak to your vet about it next time before you do it. :fingerscr