Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

scratching under chin

jwaiks
April 30th, 2006, 05:35 PM
i have a 8 month old english setter that just recently started scratching under his chin and neck to the point where its scabbed and red, i did not change his food but he has been outside with everything blooming and new stuff in my yard could it be a allergy? i checked him for fleas and lice and there is none this is the only place he is iching...... could he ate something in my yard that has his throat irritated thats why he is scratching there? i have been giving him benedryl and spraying it with "cool spot" is there anything else? how much benedryl can i give him he weighs about 50 pounds. i was only giving him 1/2 of tablet of children benedryl. can anyone help me i really dont have money right now for a vet i just recently ran into alot of medical bills that i am paying for, for my family. any advise would greatly be appreaciated....... oh and what are the most allergic plants that dogs are allergic too????? thanks justine if you want you can pm me or email me..

jesse's mommy
April 30th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately the only person who could answer this question is a vet. We are not vets here and can't diagnose over the internet. Are you able to contact a vet and ask about a payment plan? Most are willing to work with people. Please post back when you have an update. We are keeping our fingers crossed for you.:fingerscr

jwaiks
April 30th, 2006, 06:51 PM
i understand that yous can not diagnosis something over the internet but i thought maybe one of yous would of heard something like this hapen before. can anyone give me a list of the most poplar plants that dogs are allergic too? thank you, justine

JoeMonet
April 30th, 2006, 07:08 PM
I would have to agree with Jesse Mommy about trying to find a good vet with payment plans- but I can sympathize with you about the money situation. I'm not a vet either, but if I were you, I might try and put a protective collar(the ones that look like lamp shades) on him... it should prevent further scratching and it will allow his chin to heal...

rainbow
April 30th, 2006, 07:08 PM
You should not be using the internet to try and diagnose your dog. Please take him to the vet...most of them will make payment arrangements.:pawprint: