Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue crankiness..

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 03:09 PM
So I completed an application to volunteer at the humane society and I'll take it in this week, yay!
I went to Petsmart today to try to exchange a toy that seemed to be broken, and we wandered around the store. I guess a local rescue brings some of their dogs I guess every Sunday and I didn't know. A few weeks ago there was a beautiful dane with socialization issues.. and when I asked about her they were really horribly rude to me. Told me I wasn't a potential canidate to adopt. Umm who said I was adopting, I was talking.. Within like a day the listing for that girl was gone. Never seen a rescue move so fast in placing a dog really.. but it got me that they were really mean about even talking to me. Isn't that why you are there? To educate if nothing else?

Today I was looking at beds, and they were right in front of beds and crates blocking the aisle.. People stopped to ask me about Cider, so I did my part educating about mills.. Cider was on 4ft of leash. 2ft of which was in my hand. she had no where to go.. but I got snapped at to keep my dog away from their rescues cause I was stressing them out. You blocked an aisle, I'm trying to shop, and my dog has no where to go.. I'm sorry? Wouldn't discuss the husky rescue they had who was a beauty. Was harassing their rescues keeping Cider as far away as possible while trying to read the info they had taped to the top of her crate.

I understand why people are jadded about rescue, obviously not all rescue.. but after encountering nastiness both times. Yikes. Would be easier to get a dog from a bad source than to deal with those people at that rescue..

LL1
April 30th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Which petsmart was it?I would tell management if they were nasty to you.

happycats
April 30th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Which petsmart was it?I would tell management if they were nasty to you.

I would worry that if management was told, only the animals would suffer:sad:

LL1
April 30th, 2006, 04:18 PM
The animals would not suffer if management had to tell them to be polite to customers.

happycats
April 30th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I was just worried, that management would not allow them to have rescue dogs there anymore if people complain, that's all.

Frenchy
April 30th, 2006, 04:32 PM
That's unfortunate because they should inform people.I know when I'm ask questions about rescue I go on and on!Even when I come back from work and my evenings are sometimes pretty busy,if I get a phone or e-mail,I will answer,these people are nice enough to look into adopting a rescue,I will give them my time,for sure.

LL1
April 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM
If it is the one I am thinking of,they have been there for years.It might just be a cranky volunteer and management and the head of the rescue have no idea.They should be told.I think of how many people will be turned off of rescue and think all rescues are like that.The post even said she understands people being jaded about rescues.

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I was cranky enough about it I was asking people's opinions in chat on another forum. They think I should complain to Petsmart, but I was worried that animals might loose potential homes if they kicked the rescue out of the store.. you know?

But, the point that people may think all rescues are cranky and don't like to answer Qs, that isn't cool either. I was at the Whitby Petsmart.

LL1
April 30th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I doubt they would get kicked out,and they would not lose homes if they did anymore than they would by being nasty.I would tell the rescue and management.If it is the one on Victoria Street in the Thickson ctr They have been around a long time and are well respected,they probably do not even know this has happened.

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM
The rescue I was thinking it was is there on saturdays.. so being Sunday, I'm not sure if it is a different one or what..

LL1
April 30th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Check their main site,it says they are there on sundays.

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 05:08 PM
You are right. Turns out my dane issue was with one rescue being bitter and cranky for no reason, and today's issue was with a different rescue. Saturday's is one group, Sunday's another.. Didn't really realize till I really looked. Not that being sniped at by anyone is cool, but today was nastier than a few weeks ago.

babysweet
May 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
I know the rescue in question. Without saying much else, I will simply implore you to report the issue. *Please* let the management at PetSmart know exactly what happened.

Regardless of who the rescue is, I'm sure that PetSmart would want to know if their customers are being harassed by someone they've been kind enough to allow to set up shop in their store.

And Cider is CUTE, btw. Good work on the puppy mill information. :)

mafiaprincess
May 3rd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Thank you.

I did email petsmart, but I'm not entirely sure their form went through.. it says it did, btu I never got the automatic email saying someone would get back to me. Would be so much easier if I'd copied and pasted it and saved it.. oops.

LL1
May 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
I dont know which group shows on Saturdays.You should tell the rescue groups as well.They may have no idea.

coppperbelle
May 3rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Rescue workers are volunteers and have bad days too. :) I wouldn't take it personally or judge all rescue groups because of your two bad experiences. Imagine the amount of questions they answered that day and all the stupid questions and people they met. It is not acceptable to be rude and is bad for the reputation of the rescue groups involved.

OntarioGreys
May 7th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Try not to take it personally, as an upcoming volunteer you might get an opportunity depending on what type of involvement you have in mind to see what it is like being on the other side of the fence, most of the people that participate in these meet and greets are volunteers, some may be newbies who lack in experience , or those that are very opininated who have their own strong opinions on who should be allowed to adopt which may not coincide with the adoption groups views. Often they are the foster parents that are required to go out to the meet and greets with their fosters, and as Copperbelle stated they can have bad days too, many foster parent work fulltime jobs, are raising their own families, have their own pets to care for plus do the fostering, so their lives can be quiet hectic with the addition of a foster, as there is training to do, introducing it to new situation, assessments report to write about it's personalities for the group, you have to make time for strangers to come to your home to visit the dog, running it to vets to get all the vetting done, if they get a foster dog than is a handful, it may not be crating well or proving difficult to housetrain, it may be keeping the family awake at night, add to it the stress of of family that may not be as supportive or angry because the foster dog interferes with their plans, then there is the meet and great, the petstore can be hard venues to do especially with dogs, often you are required to set up in the middle of aisles, with insuffiecient room especially if several people approach at the same time wanting to talk about the dogs, if this is the fosters dogs first meet and greet there is worry about how the dog will react, some dogs do terribly when people start crowding around, and some same not be small dog/pet safe and nothing can be more scary and worrisome, then when some shopper lets their small dog, ferret, rabbit or whatever other pet, run up to see the dogs unchecked on the end of a flexi leash( believe me this happens a lot, and those shoppers often will get yelled at, inorder to protect their pets from getting chomped on ) You should see how interesting things get when you have a bunch of greyhounds and someone decides to come right up to them with a bunny on leash :eek: while I was fostering I seen quite a few foster parents get burned out, or had so many conflicts with their families they were forced to quit.

Then you may be dealing with those that don't understand the concept of pet adoption or are total lunatics. I was involve in greyhound rescue, at the meet and greet we took our own pet greyhounds to show people what they are like as pets, since the placement are done by matching greyhounds to adopter, we had one east Indian come up wanting to buy our dogs to ship to India to start a racetrack there, they did not want to accept no for an answer, another person was a hunter who want to buy the dogs for hunting despite the fact it is illegal in Ontario to hunt with a sighthound, and some will outright threaten you for refusing to sell the dogs to them, then you get some that want to adopt but don't agree with the adoption policies that require that they must be indoor dogs only and must kept on leash unless in a fenced enclose and they will sit and argue with you over the policies of the group,and then there are those that insist you must sell your own pet greyhound to them, they are not interested in adopting one of fosters.

Lucky Rescue
May 7th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I try my best to be polite and friendly at all of our adoption events, and it's not always easy.

Many people seem to see our events as a kind of entertainment, particularly for their dogs, who they allow to approach the cages and stick their noses inside them - very dangerous for the dog, and absolutely terrifying for the caged cats. These people just do not get it, and often say something like "Oh it's okay - my dog is good with cats!" :rolleyes:

Then there are little kids who think it's fun to bang on the cages, while their parents stand there saying nothing.

And then we had someone asking if we had any Siamese for him to breed with his male!!!!:eek: Wrong on so many levels, but even then we tried to be polite and explain how unethical it would be to breed a rescued cat of unknown lineage.

Invariably, we also have people coming up and trying to dump their own cats on us. The only time I did get truly rude was with one woman who drove up in an expensive car, asking if we would take a litter of kittens from her because her cat "just won't stop having kittens!!" We told her to spay her cat and she said to us, very angrily, "I can't afford that!!" So yes, I did get a bit rude to her I must admit.:(

mafiaprincess
May 7th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I totally dig people have bad days. And I have heard enough horror stories on people dumping pets. A rabbit to a group of greyhounds, wtf..
Or letting a dog shove it's nose in a crate.. That's beyond not cool.
I totally understand, just really bugs me to get snipped at when I haven't done anything. Which is the reason I volunteered to the humane society, and am avoiding local rescues. I just haven't had anything good happen with them.
I know there are good rescues, and I'm not saying these aren't or anything. I just haven't had a neutral experience let alone a positive one...

But I'm trying not to hold a grudge about it. I'll get over it.

LL1
May 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM
The rescue on Sunday is a very good group.Try and remember they probably do not know about it,and while they do their best,they cant fix the problem unless you tell them.

amber416
May 7th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I cordinate my group's adoption events and run two a month. I get yelled at...literally yelled at.... at least two or three times at each event for our declawing policy alone. "It'll be my #$%@&^% cat and i'll do whatever i want with it once I get it" riiight...you can definitely adopt from us now. Last weekend I had two young college-aged girls and one boy come in to adopt. They were making lovely comments about how one of the scared cats looked "stoned" and then asked, "how much is this one?" . I told them what our adult cat adoption fee was and they actually asked me "well can i get a discount , because, like, half of his ear is gone". And she was serious. Our group works primarily with ferals, and this cat had been tipped during a spayathon before deciding to adopt him to an indoor home. I try very, very hard to be polite and educational but it is very, very hard sometimes.

littlesister
May 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I hear you all. No wonder the rescue workers all become totally neurotic and cranky. This is an interesting post. So if I expect all rescue workers to be cranky & self-righteous, I won't be too shocked when they are. I also found some rescue groups too wonky to deal with. As a rescue worker, perhaps if I expect everyone approaching to be totally ignorant and moronic, I won't be so shocked either, and I can educate calmly.

mafiaprincess
May 19th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I fully dig..
I mean I've been told off about my dog food choices in stores selling good quality food..
Or people who really do lack education jumping on me about how my dog acts for some stupid reason.
Since most people's dogs have no manners, I shouldn't expect much of the general public.. and therefore feel bad for rescue peopel dealing with the clueless.

But I missed the story.. I want to read it..

mrmilo
June 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I have met many, many rescue people who give up their Sunday to go pick up several dogs and spend hours transporting them. They give up another evening to go pick up a surrender, only to have the person change their mind two days later and want the dog back. Or leave work early to drive to a shelter, pick up a senior dog who was abandoned and then drive that dog to a foster home, wondering all the way how someone could abandon such a sweet friend. Or take a sick or injured dog in as a foster and nuture and love that dog and spend their own money on food and other needs for months waiting until a suitable adoptive home is found.

Is every volunteer in rescue perfect? No. mafiaprincess, it's sounds like you had a bad experience and I'm sorry for that, but it has nothing to do with Rescues or Rescue Volunteers.. It has to do with the couple of people that you came into contact with, that for some reason were rude to you.

I agree with others that you should let the rescue know what happened, so that the individuals involved could perhaps volunteer for other duties.

mastifflover
June 14th, 2006, 07:01 AM
If it is the one I am thinking of,they have been there for years.It might just be a cranky volunteer and management and the head of the rescue have no idea.They should be told.I think of how many people will be turned off of rescue and think all rescues are like that.The post even said she understands people being jaded about rescues.
LL1 I agree with you totally.Yes everyone in rescue has bad days but an adoption event should not be one of them people need to be informed and the best people to do that is the volunteers and if you are not feeling like being of help to the dogs and potential owners than you should stay home and chill. I learned a long time ago never to judge people by the way they dress or look. I was one of those who used to be judged because I was very into punk but I was still a great dog owner no matter how pink my hair was. Not any longer now boring blonde.