Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are your neighbours dogs well behaved?

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 12:49 AM
I was wondering if those of you who have canine neighbours, if they are well behaved or little monsters due to a lack of training, socialization, etc?

We have two small little fluffy dogs behind us.. bichon, shih tzu type mixes.. that bark when outside, and one that has taken to trying to dig under the fence.. When I let Cider out tonight I sent 20 minutes telling her to go pee, but with these dogs yapping at her, she wouldn't move, and slowly meandered looking at them.

I don't really blame them (the dogs).. I don't think they are well taken care of. I found one under a shrub in our yard last summer after a violent storm all matted and frightened so I know they don't really care... And it sucks.. No one took the time to socialize or train them at all so I can't expect much, just it's annoying. Not sure what I'll do when they make it under the fence..

glasslass
April 30th, 2006, 06:51 AM
After the experience almost 2 years ago of neighbor dogs coming through the fence and attacking Den-Den, we moved to a home with a high, concrete block wall covered with fig ivy around the entire backyard. Beautiful but, most important, safe! Thankfully, I never have to worry about irresponsible neighbors with their junkyard dogs again. I know ... not the dogs' fault, but my babies are safe.

BMDLuver
April 30th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Recently we had new neighbours move in with a yellow lab. He barks incessantly when tied out. It's a good thing for me as then the neighbours cannot complain if my dogs bark once or twice at someone on the property as I call them in but this dog just barks n barks. So now, they have them to complain about and not any of mine! Odd to be happy about a dog barking, I know.:D

Writing4Fun
April 30th, 2006, 10:15 PM
We've been living here for 7 1/2 years, and the neighbour's dogs will still bark at us whenever we're out in our own yard. :mad: They used to put them out at 5:30 in the morning, and they would stand at their gate (which, coincidentally enough is right by my bedroom window) and bark at whatever they saw - a cat, a leaf, a jogger...anything. Luckily, the husband appears to have lost his job :rolleyes: , so they now go out at 6:30, which is when my alarm goes off anyway.

It used to be a lot worse. The parents used to go away for the week-end and leave their teenage kids alone at home. Can anyone say 'pool party'? :party: So the dogs would be put in the yard (so they wouldn't bother the guests :p ), where they would bark until all hours of the morning.

I remember one week-end, they had a bonfire. A few of their friends were camped in the back yard. A couple had fallen asleep on the trampoline. So, when I woke up early (7:30-ish) that Sunday morning and saw some of them sleeping out there, I sent Murphy (RIP) out to give them a little "wake up call'. :evil: Hey, I wouldn't have done it, except that they had let their dogs bark until 3:30 that morning. :angel:

But now I'm starting to get worried. Those dogs aren't getting any younger (they have to be around 12 years old by now), and yet they leave them outside most of the day, every day, very little shade to be had in our yards, too. It was really warm out there today. One of them is a Chow mix, the other is a Beagle mix. At one point, the Beagle mix was lying on his side, legs straight out, and I couldn't tell if he was breathing or not. So we started calling to him, and he finally got up. I swear, the look on his face said, "You idiots! You just woke me up from a perfectly good nap!" But he was lying on the hard interlocking brick, right in the sun, not moving, barely breathing - I was so scared he was dead! :(

mummummum
April 30th, 2006, 10:33 PM
My neighbour had a sweet Belgian Shepherd who never left the yard - never -and because she's a gardener was kept on a short line. He barked at whoever passed, got little attention from his person and was never groomed. I took him on a long walk once a week with the grrrls, cut away the thickly matted hair from his bottom so he could do his "business". While I was saddened when he died at age 9, I also felt that at least he wouldn't be so terribly lonely anymore. It absolutely breaks my heart that my neighbour now has a new Belgian Shepherd who has been sentenced to the same fate.:sad:

LM1313
May 1st, 2006, 12:33 AM
My neighbors have two dogs, I think mixed breeds, who are left alone outside for a few hours at a time. They also seem to spend a lot of time indoors, though. They don't bark much, mostly they just play with each other.

When I was a kid, the neighbors in back of us had a little black and white spaniel named Charlie. When they first got the dog, the two kids in the family were so excited and attentive, but before long--you guessed it--he was out there in the yard all by himself all day. :( The fence was only a few feet high, so I used to go stand by it and visit him. He was SUCH a sweet dog, so friendly and desperate for attention! I taught him to jump up and grab a stick from my hand. I even taught him to sit, from the other side of the fence.

Looking back, I wish I'd asked my parents to ask our neighbors to give us Charlie. As I recall, after he died or was given away--I think given away, I don't know to whom--they got an American Eskimo dog, which they proceeded to ignore in the same way.

~LM~

erykah1310
May 1st, 2006, 01:51 AM
I must say that our neighbours dog is EXTREMELY well behaved, when we take our walks the old sheppard mix(?) comes trotting part way down the driveway, sniffs the air, sits down and watches us all walk away. I have never seen the dog at our house or anywhere near the road! ( The neighbours are clearly animal lovers too, well taken care of pets)

However 2 houses down from them is your typical "bad farmers" their drive way is on a hill ( mid way) and they have a pom mix and a " yoda dog" (cant think of what he is but he is Darn adorable.) Also they have some type of a coyote looking dog too, these dogs are ALWAYS in the middle of the road, at our house ( and everywhere else) barking, you name it!!! One day I almost drove into the ditch to avoid the "Yoda dog"
Also the "funky" looking Coyote like dog was just in heat and tramping all over the place.:mad: She stopped here I guess to check into the sitiation with my dogs but quickly moved along. Makes me mad, that poor girl.

BernerLver
May 1st, 2006, 09:40 AM
Since our neighbourhood is new, many people have not yet built a fence. For this reason, our neighbour down the street ties his down outside the front of his house (heaven forbid he take him on a walk or to the park that is 5 minutes away :rolleyes: ).

The dog is on line long enough so that he can lay on the sidewalk. This dog barks and growls and lunges at anyone/thing that passes. It's so annoying that I have to cross the street just to pass this house!

One time I walk walking the boys and the dog broke out of its collar and came running across the street at us. Well I'm trying to keep my guys calm and control the situation when the guy comes out of his house and starts calling this dog (who is not responding at all). Then he starts asking me if my guys are fixed etc. Well at this point I snapped and was like "can you come and get your f***ing dog?" :mad:

Seriously, sometimes I can't believe how stupid and irresponsible people are.

jessi76
May 1st, 2006, 09:49 AM
I guess I'm very lucky, all of our neighbors have dogs, and they are all wonderful. the golden across the street - a rescue - is happy to stay in his own yard, quiet as a mouse. The JR next door is occassionally on his run, but the only barking I've ever noticed is when I walk by w/ Tucker. The BC on the other side of us has a large outdoor kennel, and although I wish they spent more time w/ their dog, the dog is very quiet and content. In fact, almost everyone on our road has a dog, none of which ever leave their own yards or bark alot.

erykah1310
May 1st, 2006, 10:41 AM
Hey i remembered what kind of dog the "Yoda" dog was!!!
Its a Corgi!
(just to clarify that lol)

Prin
May 1st, 2006, 05:21 PM
Every house on our street except one has at least one dog and amazingly enough we rarely ever hear barking. It's great!

In my old apartment, the neighbor's dog barked until we were practically deaf. My dogs didn't even care when he barked- it was so frequent. So annoying. I'm glad we're out of there.

Brat
May 1st, 2006, 10:55 PM
A neighbour got an adorable German Shepherd puppy about a month ago. Poor thing is always tied up outside. I've never seen him played with. Whenever he sees my dog, he gets all happy and excited so on my walks sometimes I'll bring him over for a little play time.

It seems to me like the wife is a stay at home with a young child and the husband who works all day is the one that wanted the dog. The dog once ran loose and my boyfriend caught him, picked him up and brought him back to the wife who was at the window screaming for him. She said "This dog is worse than my kids" and slammed the window shut after taking the dog in. She really did not seem happy to have to take care of the dog.

I've gone to play with him a few times, he fetches his toy when he sees me coming and gets so excited. My bf and I really love him and think it's sad that he needs to be left out alone all the time. So we try to give him a good time :) We're thinking of askign the owners if it's ok if the dog comes out for a walk with our dog and us. Is that an ok thing to do?

erykah1310
May 1st, 2006, 11:01 PM
We're thinking of askign the owners if it's ok if the dog comes out for a walk with our dog and us. Is that an ok thing to do?
For sure, when i was younger I would gather up a few dogs that got along and never got to other wise go for walks or be with other dogs and walk them.
If the dog is "worse than her kids" i really dont think she will have a problem with someone else walking the dog for her!
Its a good idea!

SchnauzerGirl
May 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
My neighbour's dog is well taken care of, but she likes to bark to be let back into their house and she doesn't just bark once.... and this is usually at 5 am, every day of the week. My bedroom window is right by their door so I certainly don't appreciate it in the summer months. She also goes bezerk when she sees me by the fence, she will start barking, growling and even snap at me, and she KNOWS me. Schultz will sometimes get quite annoyed at her and will start to bark back at her, which makes me laugh and feel proud cos he is sticking up for me!

mom_to_many
May 4th, 2006, 10:46 AM
On my block there are 7 houses and a total of 9 dogs. Directly behind me there are 2 dogs. Out of the 11 dogs, 2 are still pups (maybe 6 months to a year). It is the pups who hopefully will learn in time that they do not need to bark at everything that moves!! One pup is a lab who would bark non-stop until one of his owners came home. He is getting a little better. (Can dogs get laryngitis? lol) The old timers are pretty quiet. When they do go to barking it usually means a stray dog or cat has invaded their space. I just wish it was not at 5 am!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
The neighbours on either side of us dont have dogs - one of them is not an animal person at all - maybe part of the reason we dont click. The neighbour on the corner has a black lab that is tied up most of the day - on a line that looks like a clothes line and he runs back and forth on it and he barks at everything and everyone all day - but they do take him for walks and let him swim in the creek.

The neighbours directly behind us, one has a really old collie thats really sweet, the owner takes him everywhere with him, he must have arthritis or something, hes really slow and his owner picks him up and puts him in his car, - then the other behind us have a golden retreiver that is pretty young but sticks right around their house. They live on the culda sac so they just let their dog out with them in the front yard not sure if I would do that but the dog does stay around.

Then at the end of our block is an american cocker that gets out once in a while and runs up and down the street - this one has actually bitten a few kids and caused some friction with the neighbours one family actually moved because of it.

There is probably other dogs on our block but those are the ones that stand out.

Actually our neighbours accross the street have a little chihuahua that never goes outside - I only found out they had a dog about a year ago, and weve lived in our house for almost 8 years. Its like really you have a dog.

mafiaprincess
May 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
People across the street apparently have a westie. I can see their backyard when I'm in the park. I've never seen any indication they have a dog, but they told me they do..
There's a lab around the corner that harasses me on walks..
The devils behind us are starting to dig under the fence when they aren't barking at dawn..
One nasty lady down the street got the people that used to live across the street to move.. had an outdoor dog, lady claimed their dog barked 24/7.. I live way closer I rarely heard the dog.. We signed a petition they got to keep the dog, but they chose to move after that anyhow..

DRN
May 6th, 2006, 12:55 AM
We have barking dogs on each side of us and it was a real nuisance. They would bark day and night, waking up my kids and scaring my pets (especially my new puppy, who was so scared that it was hard to toilet train him).

I tried several techniques to get the dogs to be quiet and nothing worked. Finally, in desperation, I asked my neighbors if I could give their dogs one treat a day. They agreed and so, each evening, I stood by the fence and talked to the dogs. I called them by name and praised them for being good. Then, after a few minutes when they quit barking, I threw a dog treat over the fence for them to eat. It took about a week of attention but soon the barking became much less frequent. Now, when they do bark, they stop if I go outside and say their names. I've gotten attached to these dogs and I think they appreciate the attention they get from me. Plus, I've learned to understand their barks - which ones mean I'm bored and which ones mean there's a problem - so I feel safer, too.

Daisy_Mae
May 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
It stuns me how many people get a dog and then leave it in the backyard and never take it for walks. Why have a dog then? I took Charlie our beagle in for a heartworm test and we were talking about how much he sheds and the vet says "he outside anyhow right?". NO!! Why do people thing beagles are outdoor dogs? :confused:

Anyhow, our neighbours on one side have to JRT's that go balistic when we go outside. You can't even do yard work without them driving you up the wall. I try and play with our dogs in the backyard and they go crazy, barking and growling. They get so worked up they start attacking each other. The dogs are left in the garage all day with a door to the backyard. That's alright except that they did that in the winter too and the garage isn't heated:mad:

They bought those spray collars which only worked for the first month or so. Now they are thinking of getting shock collars, I told them it wouldn't work so they have put it off thank god!