Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

car trip

zoe's mom
April 29th, 2006, 08:35 PM
in a little less than a week, i'll be taking my dog zoe (2 year old rat terrier) on a trip. It will be 7 1/2-8 hours in the car, and i'm looking for tried and true method to sedate her. she is excellent in the car, but she's very active and i'll be driving through the mountains and can't afford to be distracted. she's miserable in her crate, and would cry and paw and be almost as distracting in her crate as if she were crawling all over my lap.

my vet told me that a child's dose of dramamine would be sufficient, but i would just like to know what to expect. will dramamine make her sleep, or will it just make her lethargic? and how long can i expect it to last (she weighs about 15 pounds)? and are there any other tips that you guys can give me for ways to help her ride more comfortably?

phoenix
April 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM
instead of drugs or a crate, they have harnesses/seatbelts for dogs so that they are safe and stay in the back seat...

Lump of Kohl
April 29th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I went to Big Lots recently and found a car seat/carrier for small dogs for about $18.00 and it was made by a pretty well known brand.

joeysmama
April 29th, 2006, 10:44 PM
We dont have a Big Lots around here. Does anyone know where else the car seat/carriers are available?

joeysmama
April 29th, 2006, 10:45 PM
We dont have a Big Lots around here. Does anyone know where else the car seat/carriers are available?

rainbow
April 29th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I don't believe in sedating an animal to travel. If you think she will be too much of a distraction then I would go with the seat belt option.:pawprint:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 30th, 2006, 01:05 AM
I would sedate an animal if I had to to travel a long distance like that - but definatley go through a vet -

We drove Joey up here from Vancouver when we got him about 6 hours -we didnt sedate him - and he did fine . But then all dogs are different. Actually Joey would rather go for a car ride then a walk. He stops at the car wags his tail and waits to get in.

I use a doggie seat belt for him - but he always ends up on the floor - or getting himself twisted so I have to pull over unhook him and do him back up again.

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 01:13 AM
I went through 3 seat belts for Cider. First one was too short.. she couldn't sit, she was forced to lie down on her side all the time. Second was too long, if I stopped suddenly she was on the floor.. 3rd one was finally perfect, and now she is nicely secured at all times and can freely sit or lie down and has no issues.

I've seen outward hound doggie car seats at petcetera and petsmart... Think they are rated for 20 pounds max though. It's for really lil ones so they are propped up high enough to see out the window.

PetFriendly
April 30th, 2006, 11:08 AM
The very bacis carseat might not be big enough... They are rated for 20 lbs, but if you have a long legged. long bodied dog there really isn't enough room for them to sit down in them. My dog is a 15 lbs pomeranian mixed with shih tzu (on the big side) and he can only sit in it now. We're going to Petvalu to look into seat belt harnesses as I heard the ones at PetSmart aren't as strong as they should be.

Your best bet might be to really tire the dog out before leaving. Take her on a marathon walk the day before, repeat before leaving. If your vet will give you sedatives all the better, but I'd try making the trip without them.