Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Need topical treatment for ITCHY pup!

ShaggyRudy
April 29th, 2006, 06:17 PM
:confused: Hi all - :confused: :(

I've read through other threads regarding dog allergies and rashes and ideas about changing food, giving the dog Benadryl, etc. Does anyone have a suggestion for some sort of cream or ointment I can use now on my poor dog's stomach sores until we're able to get to our vet on Monday when they're open again?? Our groomer found this patch on our dog's skin while trimming him today. It's a pretty big area of rash / red spots and our dog cannot stop biting and licking the area. I thought about putting some Neosporin (sp?) Ointment on the area for now to prevent infection, but don't want to until I talk to the vet. Any other ideas??? fyi - I live in the States and some of the items you've mentioned that I can get over the counter aren't available here w/out mail order :( and we need something more immediate!
Thanks much!!

raingirl
April 29th, 2006, 06:25 PM
is it oozing? What does it look like? Could it be a "hot spot".

I would wash it with anti-bacterial soap, and just keep it dry. The more he licks it, the worse it would get. If you have a pet store near by, maybe go buy an "e-collar" to prevent him from licking it. Something like neosporing might make it worse, same thing as with cortizone. If they are oitments (oil based) then that is bad.

Do you have calamine lotion? That might be an option, but only if you can keep him from licking it.

ShaggyRudy
April 29th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks Rain Girl. I don't believe they're oozing just yet although I haven't been close enough to get a better look at this point. I thought of going to get some Calamine Lotion, but not sure how to keep him from licking it and if it's a danger if he does lick it? Hmmmm...

I do think it might be a hot spot...

the gang
April 29th, 2006, 08:51 PM
use the poly sporin and some vet wrap, just a idea than maby off to the vets for a app. good luck.

ShaggyRudy
April 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks all! I've been giving him Benadryl and decided to put just a little bit of Calamine Lotion on the itchy area and just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't start licking it.

Have a good day.