Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

60TH Birthday Cake

raingirl
April 29th, 2006, 06:54 PM
My mom's 60th b-day is next weekend and I offered to do the cake. It's just a small family thing, so in total, 10 adults and 3 kids approx. I am thinking of doing an 8 inch cake with a 6 inch topper, in a basket weave on the sides, and then loading the top and shelf with small sugar coated fruit.

THe problem is, I can't find fruit appropriate!! I was looking for tiny red and green grapes, but all I find are the HUGE kind. I was thinking blueberries and other berries then maybe?

I don't know. Any ideas? I don't know what kind of cake my mom even likes.

I was thinking something like these:

http://www.traceyscakes.co.uk/pages/chocolate/fruit_chocolate.htm

Skryker
April 29th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I like the idea of the berries...that "waterfall" of strawberries looks amazing! But I think that a similar effect using sugared blueberries, raspberries and blackberries might look spectacular. Or maybe some sugared cherries? Maybe those are too big, too (and expensive).

Or glazed madarin orange slices and glazed kiwi and starfruit slices?

Ummm...I'm making myself hungry. ;)

Prin
April 29th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Strawberries are pretty cheap these days. I'd go with them.. They're more generally liked too...

All these huge fruits, eh? :rolleyes:

glasslass
April 29th, 2006, 10:26 PM
The strawberries look luscious! And, they're in season too! You could even do a strawberry filling.

joeysmama
April 29th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Those cakes are gorgeous--number 60 looks amazing !!! You are so talented !!

rainbow
April 29th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I'd definitely go with the berries instead of grapes. They just look nicer and taste better than grapes IMO. I think more people would prefer them.