Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

He Won't Stop Nursing

smooth0525
April 29th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I have a male cat that is approximately 7 months old. He was the runt of the litter & we just got him from a couple giving away kittens. He's a very lovable, even-tempered cat, but he has 1 problem; everytime he lays down, he starts trying to nurse. On a blanket, the carpet, your shirt, everything. He'll push on it with his paws (which I've seen all cats do) but he also sucks on everything. It's very worrysome & a lot of times I have to keep him out of the bedroom at night. Is there any way at all to over come this?

Help!

smooth0525

chico2
April 29th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Personally,I don't think it's a big deal and perfectly normal,many cats/kittens do this,I think it's endearing:love:
Maybe your little guy was taken away from his mom to soon,or maybe he just likes the feeling,I am sure he will eventually grow out of it.

Toonces
April 29th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I think they call it wool sucking, not a big deal don't worry. My cat Cosmo (RIP) tried to nurse from my other male at the time who was 12 yrs old and Toonces would let him!

My kitty Emma now 2 yrs old still sucks on blankets and kneeds me constantly with her little paws, thats how we fall asleep every night.

Like Chico said... don't worry this is totally normal.

LM1313
April 29th, 2006, 10:42 PM
One of my kitties does this. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's just a habit. :)

~LM~

rainbow
April 29th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I'm with chico....I'd find it endearing.:love: :love:

erykah1310
May 1st, 2006, 02:05 AM
It is called wool sucking and I had a cat who did this, but to ear lobes!! That kind of got a little freaky in the middle of the night, she then decided that it was prolly much safer to suck on something else, so she took to blankets.
Dont worry about it but keep an eye on what he is sucking on ( you never know) My cat didnt ever grow out of it, but i have heard of some who did slow down on the whole process as they got older.

BusterBoo
May 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM
I have a 3 1/2 yr old little male shih tzu who nurses on his bed several times a day (I tried to upload a picture, but there was an error??)

His bed is in the shape of a penguin, with a pointy nose and Harley stretches out and sucks on the nose, while his paws are pressing on each side of the penguin's head.

I checked with the Vet and she said there was no problem, he wasn't doing anything harmful or "strange", it is just his way of calming down and relaxing. It's actually very cute! (as a side note......he also "humps" his penguin on occasion :crazy:

Stacer
May 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM
My female cat does it too, we thought it was strange at first, especially when she tried to suckle on a mole on my husband's back. (I thought it was hilarious, he just felt violated!:D ) She still sucks on blankets once in a while. I've wondered if it has something to do with being weaned too early, anybody know for sure?

LavenderRott
May 1st, 2006, 10:21 AM
Many years ago, my Aunt adopted a 5 week old kitten from the local shelter that did this. She named the kitten Punkin' Blossom and Punkin' liiked to suck on armpits.

Punkin' lived to be 21 years old and until she died, anyone who fell asleep on the sofa was fair game! I can't tell you how many times I woke up from a nap with the armpit of my shirt soaking wet.

That was the best cat I have ever known.