Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No-slip Harness?

Lissa
April 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Does anybody know of pet harness that is impossible to slip out of?

I really need one for Minnow! She goes on walks with Dodger but now that the warmer weather is here, her energy level has skyrocketed! It has taken me 3 years to get my family to understand that Minnow is NOT allowed to roam free and they have finally been putting a harness on her when she goes out (if I am not at home). The problem is that they do not watch her so she's become a master at slipping her harness!
She has a normal cat harness but I think she needs one that's made for a dogs! I was thinking about the Surefit Premier Dog Harnesses or the Buddy Belt Harness...but it is rather expensive to buy when I am not sure it will work...so if anybody knows of a harness that can't be slipped out of, I'd really appreciate it!
:)

LM1313
April 29th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Minnow is such a cute name! :D

Is it a figure eight harness or the other kind? I have the H looking harness for my kitties (trying to get them used to it at the moment) and would like to take them on little strolls, but I'm worried about them escaping!

PetFriendly
April 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
We take my boyfriend's little cat out on a leash with a figure 8 harness and once it was properly fitted, she hasn't been able to slip it (but it had to be fairly tight). We found no matter what we did with the H harnesses she'd get out of them. We only do it if he's taking her walking with the dog. If you tie the cat up in the back yard all she does is lay there... Not much point, plus she's a sitting duck for any of the neighbouring cats who like to beat on others come over...

I'll admit, we leave our cats roam free on the week-ends. They wear collars with tags, are sterelized and microchipped... :o

Lissa
April 30th, 2006, 12:16 PM
It's an H harness! She is fine on walks because she's happy to tag along but at home, she thinks she should be allowed to roam...:evil: I will have to check out the figure 8 one as well! Thank-you!:D

Luba
April 30th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Have you thought about a ferret harness?

Those little sqirmers can get out of a lot but they seem quite content in thos harnesses so maybe that is your way to go?

joeysmama
April 30th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I found a harness in Wal-mart made by Yuppie Puppy. I love it. It has no buckles across the front so it's pretty comfortable. It slips over the head and has padding under the arms. There's a toggle on the back to tighten it.

If I see them again I'm going to stock up on them. Joey never slipped out of it and Cooper slipped his front leg out once or twice when he was still very small and we didn't have it tightened. But he was maybe 5 pounds then. IT's been working very well ever since.

Snooky'sMom
April 30th, 2006, 03:26 PM
We take my boyfriend's little cat out on a leash with a figure 8 harness and once it was properly fitted, she hasn't been able to slip it (but it had to be fairly tight).

I've got a cat that's okay on a leash (okay for a cat) but I've never taken him on walks because I'm afraid of dogs attacking him. Most owners have their dog on a leash but some have them out on the front lawn with no leash. Some have approached me when I was walking my mother in law's shih tzu so I'd be concerned especially with a cat. Has this not happened to you?

Lissa
April 30th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Some have approached me when I was walking my mother in law's shih tzu so I'd be concerned especially with a cat. Has this not happened to you?

No - but Minnow is a Siamese so one yowl from her and most people/dogs/cats run the other way:p!

I have a bike trailer that I bring with us so that when she gets tired she can ride in style...I am not worried since my dog comes with us - if anything happened, he'd be the first to step in and protect her.

We usually go hiking in the woods so we're away from residential areas (Minnow doesn't like traffic)...we have a few Falcon's around though:eek:!

mafiaprincess
April 30th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Man I want to live closer to Lissa. I wish there were athletic fun people to do stuff with closer to me. *pout*

Snooky'sMom
April 30th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I wish there were woods to hike in near me! Sounds wonderful.