Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Friendly Restaurants

jesse's mommy
April 29th, 2006, 10:21 AM
I just have to say, I love where I live. Florida is in the process of enacting legislation that will provide a place for your pets to join you for your meal in a restaurant. It's because there are so many tourists and travelers that it's cruel and inhumane to have to leave your pets in the car! I'm so excited. It's just starting to go through the phases so it'll be a while before it's in effect. I just can't wait to bring my baby to dinner with me!

mafiaprincess
April 29th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I can see pet's eating out on patios of restaurants, but here pets eating inside would never fly.. for the same reason they can't be in groceries stores, it's deemed unsanitary.

I'd just be afraid the first person with a badly behaved dog would get it all flipped back to be against the law. Heck, I don't think I even know any 'really well behaved dogs'.. I always thought that to have a dog you put up with bad manners cause I didn't know better, and often people's family pets are just that.

So jumping on tables, people, getting in the way.. I just see it as a potential disaster unfortunately for the average person's dog.

joeysmama
April 29th, 2006, 01:25 PM
This is really exciting news for us. We used to take Joey with us on short trips but if we ate out we would have to park near, and sit near a window so we could keep an eye on him. He was a great little traveler but it wasn't always easy on us. I would be more inclined to vacation in Florida, as opposed to another choice along the east coast, if it meant that I could bring Cooper with me. He's still a baby and we've never left him in the car for more than minute or so in the driveway.

jesse's mommy
April 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I don't know how long it's going to take to get through legislation, but I can't wait until it happens. I would think there if it wasn't a patio area there would be a "pet section" kind of like a smokers section or something like that. I don't know the specific details, but Jim saw something on the news about it and told me. I'll see if I can find anything more out.

mummummum
April 29th, 2006, 07:42 PM
In the 70's and 80's there was a great pub in Kingston (ON) where the owner brought his big ol' black lab/rottie cross everyday - even had a portrait hanging of him in the pub over the bar. Everybody with a doggie hung out there with or without their sidekicks just because "the vibe" was soooo good. I wonder if it's still there.

glasslass
April 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM
When I was in Germany, I saw dogs in the gasthausses, as well as in department stores. Maybe if they could go inside with us all the time, they wouldn't be so excited and unruly. It would be ordinary for them - no big deal. The ones in Germany that I saw were very well behaved - almost bored.

rainbow
April 29th, 2006, 10:50 PM
When we lived in Kitimat, B.C. one of the pubs we visited let you bring your dog in as long as it was well behaved.

I heard on the news awhile ago that there is a coffee shop in Vancouver's west end area that also allows dogs to come in.

I don't see a problem with it at all. I think if it were to be made a municipal law then perhaps the "pet only" section would be a good idea for those %#@*#%# people that have a problem with animals around while they're eating.:D

jesse's mommy
June 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
WOO HOO!!!!!

http://www.wesh.com/family/9310335/detail.html

Puppyluv
June 2nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
The neighbourhood I work in allows dogs in all of the stores and restaurants, except for the liquor store and the large grocery store. Everywhere else, dogs of all sizes come in and out with their owners as they please. I'm not sure if all store actually allow it, but people just bring them in so confidently that no one questions it. I've yet to figure out why this community doesn't need to comply to health codes....but oh well.