April 29th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Was there one?

lezzpezz
April 29th, 2006, 11:29 AM
sent you one.....

lezzpezz
April 30th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Okay, sorry for the pandimonium that I may have caused:rolleyes:

Here's the story. It hit the news last night. A 2 year old girl, now with lots of stitches on her neck, wandered into the unfenced yard of a townhouse complex where a tethered pit bull was residing. She went to pet the dog and it knocked her down and obviously bit her.

The dog was without muzzle, (not required as it was on it's own property). But where were the parents of this child?? Where were the dog owners??

My view is that this dog or any dog may have reacted the same way and it is a terrible thing to have had happen. Could have been much worse media wise if the dog was on the loose, not complying to the BSL guidelines. I don't have the whole story and didn't see the broadcast, but can see where the errors lie. All parties are responsible in this case, I feel.

Sherry and GP, I accidentally cleared my PM's So I can't reply directly to your emails. What a boob!! Hope this satisfies your questions. Watch AChannel London if you can to see the story today, 6 p.m. I think.

PetFriendly
April 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM
You know, over all coutry folk do a better job of raising children and teaching them to be respectfull of other poeple's property and boundaries than City folk do... I was raised in the country and never on your life wold I have left my yard without a parent or, worse yet, walked into someone else's yard without permission... But for some reason, most city folk who don't have yards hide behind 'kids need room to play and grow' and don't see a problem with them trespassing on other people's property.
I feel for the kid, but I do not feel for the parents at all, who lets a 2 year old wander around unsupervised? If it were my dog, I'd go after the parents with trespassing charges if they were to come after the dog for bitting.

LM1313
May 1st, 2006, 09:31 AM
I can't believe people just let their young children wander around by themselves! It's lucky she came across a pit bull instead of a pedophile. :mad:

~LM~

Luvmypit
May 1st, 2006, 03:28 PM
we used to chain capone outside until we got the fences up. We would always go outside and stand with him. He had a long enough lead that he could roam a little. Well apprently when you don't have fences your yard is all the nieghbourhood kids yards. They would run across around behind everyones house. They had a 'field' day! I always ended up just going out there and tethering capone to me instead b/c I could not control all the kids stomping through my yard.
Dumbies.

Georgiapeaches
May 3rd, 2006, 05:23 PM
This was just on the news again.
The owner agreed to have the dog put down. The dog will be held for 10 days in quarantine and then euthanized.

The little girl is okay. The mother of the little girl pointed out that it's not just pitbulls that incidents like this happen with and that it could have involved any type of dog of any breed.

The owner may have charges filed against him/her as the dog was chained in an unfenced yard without a muzzle.

Copper'sMom
May 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
The owner may have charges filed against him/her as the dog was chained in an unfenced yard without a muzzle.

Is this a requirement as part of London's By-law regarding Pit Bulls - they have to be muzzled if the yard isn't fenced in??:confused:

I did see it on the news. My first thought was who would leave their 2 year old unattended outside?????:mad: Everyone wants to blame the dog, but who would be blamed if the child was kidnapped?? It can happen just as quickly!:mad:

Georgiapeaches
May 3rd, 2006, 08:00 PM
Umm yeah I had that thought cross through my head.."What if a pedophile had seen the child and offered her candy?"

As far as the muzzle law, that is provincial...

Copper'sMom
May 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
As far as the muzzle law, that is provincial...

But on your own property????? I thought muzzles were only needed if you take your dog off of your property.

babyrocky1
May 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM
On your own property your dog needs to be confined in an "enclosure" I think the fencing has to be of a certain height, forinstance, I muzzle Rocky when were out on my veranda! It is not fully enclosed!:eek:

babyrocky1
May 3rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
This was just on the news again.
The owner agreed to have the dog put down. The dog will be held for 10 days in quarantine and then euthanized.

The little girl is okay. The mother of the little girl pointed out that it's not just pitbulls that incidents like this happen with and that it could have involved any type of dog of any breed.

The owner may have charges filed against him/her as the dog was chained in an unfenced yard without a muzzle.I think the protocal is to scare the crap out of the owner by threatening them with DOLA if they dont agree to put the dog down.
I still have a scar over my lip from trying to introduce my stuffed animal dog to the live dog next door ( i think she was a border collie) who was chained in her back yard, in those days they blamed the kid...that would be me LOL however it did make me feel as though I didnt have to be afraid of the dog if it was my behavior that caused the bite. Not that I advocate blaming the kid, Im just saying that society has changed so much since I was a kid LOL shut up Coppers Mom, Lol but really we were taught to respect animals, they were animals after all and may exhibit dog like behaviour!

Copper'sMom
May 5th, 2006, 08:09 PM
On your own property your dog needs to be confined in an "enclosure" I think the fencing has to be of a certain height, forinstance, I muzzle Rocky when were out on my veranda! It is not fully enclosed!:eek:

You've got to be kidding me!! An enclosure???? So basically if someone walks into MY unfenced yard and gets bit by my unmuzzled dog, I am liable????
We live in the country, I have a 500ft or more dog run(tie out on aircraft cable on a roller) so that the dogs can each have a turn at running and playing ball and a 35ft tie out cable that reaches into the house to let them out for a poop or pee - and Copper is on this one most of the time as he likes to lay around much more than Zoe. Our closest neighbours(2 in total) are across the road. My dogs are supposed to be muzzled even though we live on 23 acres??? ANd they NEVER run free(I would never do this in the first place)?:mad: