Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Indoor containment systems

janne
December 26th, 2003, 04:12 PM
We have three house dogs, A bassett, a beagle & a choco Lab. We want to keep them out of certain areas of the house with out closing doors or putting up gates. Any recommendations from other users on the various systems like invisible indoor fencing, radio systems, electronic receivers etc. would be appreciated.

Carina
December 26th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Just curious, why not gates?
I have some non-standard (wide) sized doorways and I found some really nice oak gates that will fit up to 60" openings.

I do know someone who uses an indoor "invisible fence" thingie to keep their Weim off the hardwood floors in the entryway (and to keep the not-so-well-trained dog from knocking visitors over!) I guess it works fine for them. But of course if the power goes out, the system fails too.

janne
December 26th, 2003, 04:31 PM
I have gates but I can not get through to let someone in the door because the dogs get to excited and charge through (or over ) the gate with me. I need something where I can enter an area but the dogs will not follow.

Lucky Rescue
December 26th, 2003, 05:24 PM
I highly recommend training, both for the charging visitors, and for respecting the boundaries of the gate.

I do use gates to keep my dog out of the cat's room. These are simple tension gates which my dog could easily knock down, but she knows that gate = Do not go in there!

If you use shock devices, you run the risk that your dog will become fearful of moving around your house.

Luba
December 26th, 2003, 11:27 PM
I am completely against shock collars!

Sorry to say this but you decided to get 3 dogs so you have to put the time and energy into training them!

It's a handful to train one let alone three, however persistance will pay off with grand rewards.

Sometimes (most times) there is a LEADER encouraging the others bad behaviour. If you know which dog that is, then I suggest you work more on training that one, focus there.

Good luck