Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Don't know whether to laugh or cry ...

Esaunders
April 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM
:evil: Actually I'm leaning much more towards laughing ...

A pi$$ing contest over who's in charge of the apartment has started between my big ol' wimpy tabby cat and my wimpy setter pup. Almost literally...

Its been pretty peaceful so far ... kitties hanging out in the bedroom while pup is in other parts of the apt; kitties magically emerging when they hear him go into his crate. :angel:

Exceptions when the pup goes into the bedroom, much hissing and growling from under the bed with the occasional swat. Sometimes , the big tabby likes to stomp his little feet :pawprint: :pawprint: in front of the crate at night while puppy is asleep for fun.

Until today. Kitties got locked out of the bedroom so one was perched on her favorite cupboard and the big ol' tabby is behind the couch muttering and growling. We get the face-off. Tabby behind the sofa growling and muttering to point out behind the sofa is his. Puppy responds by marking cupboard beside the sofa as if to say "Oh yeah, well this is MINE" :p and then proceeds to do the same thing to a cardboard box that the tabby likes to rub his paws on (LOVES boxes):eek:

I'm watching in dis-belief, this is a first. :crazy: Pup has never marked inside before.

Its funny but would be even funnier if not such a mess. :yuck:

Looks like more time on the leash indoors for puppy to allow prevention/correction..

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Exceptions when the pup goes into the bedroom, much hissing and growling from under the bed with the occasional swat

The cats should not have their territory invaded by the dog. Cats must have a safe place to go where they know the dog cannot follow.

You can use a chain or a string with hook/nail to fix the door just wide enough for the cats to get in and out, but not the dog. OR put up a baby gate to keep the dog out.

If cats feel they have no safe haven, stress-related problems can follow, since cats do not handle stress well.

Same for dogs who are allowed to stress cats by marking items belonging to the cat.

Looks like more time on the leash indoors for puppy to allow prevention/correction..

Good idea.

Esaunders
April 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I heartily agree :thumbs up the kitties do need their own space and I think the baby gate may be necessary as the pup has more and more tendancy to want to get to know the kitties. (and play with them, obvious play behaviour)

And the marking of the cat's things (or anything indoors for that matter) is right out. Everything was cleaned and odor-neutralized immediately.

Thankfiully the kitties aren't THAT stressed (anymore) and are emerging from 'their' space more and more frequently. Plus there are a number of 'high' places in the rest of the apt that they know are theirs. The truly timid one will stay within a foot of the pup at ground level if cheese is on the line :highfive: (she LOVES cheese)

GOD, I cannot wait until next friday. :sick: He got diagnosed with kennel cough and I don't get the dog park all clear until then. Half the problem right now is that he needs to RUN and doesn't have much way to do that right now. (that's with nearly 1 1/2 hours of walking/day split into 3 sessions) He's much better with the playing/running time in his management routine. :angel:

Other part of the problems is that he hits 6 months next friday; hormones are starting to kick in. Unfortunately his 'bits' haven't descended yet. The one that the vet could feel was still waay up there and not sure about the other. Starting to wonder about a 'fishing expedition' :D