Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

merricks warning

wdawson
April 27th, 2006, 10:19 PM
after opening 3 cans of merricks working dog stew today i found that they where all bad........looked like paste was yellowish and smelled really bad......i put it down for beathoven(with no intension of letting him eat this) to see what he would do.......well he sniffed and walked away.........opened a can of campfire cookout.......inhaled.....anyway i sent an e-mail to merrick with my complaint.....if anyone else is feeding this , stay away from working dog stew with the lot number 3m5wds f 05333 and best before date of nov 28 2008.
makes me mad that at $3.00 a can that this still happens:mad: $9.00 gone and he still had no dinner.....could have taken him to swiss chalet for less:D

Lucky Rescue
April 27th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Wow. That stinks, more ways than one!!

Hopefully the company will not only reimburse you but send you some coupons.

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 03:16 AM
So I read this thread and went to check, and sure enough, I had the same one... It smelled ok at first, but as soon as you break the top layer it smells like rotten barn... If that's a smell. So ya, pretty gross (especially at 3 AM:sick: ). I'm gonna write too. And call the store tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the heads up.

rainbow
April 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I've been looking for this food, as you guys have always highly recommended it, but have'nt been able to find it. Now I'm glad I couldn't find it.:eek:

Is Merrick made by Diamond?

wdawson
April 28th, 2006, 08:00 PM
i received a reply from merricks.

they say they changed suppliers for their tripe and that the texture and odour changed because of that and the food was not bad or rotten....they say that they are back to the original supplier and all is good........well i'm getting a free case of food from them and after i open the first can and all is good then the rest is going to a local rescue.......i.m not using merricks for quite some time.....something seems off here with this........and what the hell is tripe anyway...guess its the stuff that is not meat....mmmmmm must be yummy

wdawson
April 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
prin

why are you up at 3am feeding jemma and boo......lol......know wonder you have the evil jemma teeth pic........think i would give that look to at 3am:eek:

LL1
April 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Tripe is good for dogs,and the kind that is best for them is unbleached,they call it green,and it STINKS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I got a really nice email back...

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your concerns. We realize that you purchase Merrick Pet Care for our high quality food and we appreciate your patronage.

I want to assure you that the food is not spoiled or rotten. There was a brief period where we purchased the tripe from a new supplier and it had different texture and smell, which in turn caused our product to have a different look and stronger smell. We would like you to know that we have discontinued purchasing tripe from this supplier have gone back to our old tripe supplier.

I would be happy to send you a complimentary coupon for a free case of food to replace the existing supply that you have. Please provide the following information and I will send it to you.

The name of the store where you purchased the food from

Your mailing address and a daytime telephone number where you can be reached

I would like to assure you that we take your comments seriously.

I still like Merrick.;)

LL1
April 28th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I've been looking for this food, as you guys have always highly recommended it, but have'nt been able to find it. Now I'm glad I couldn't find it.:eek:

No,I think Chicken Soup,Solid Gold and Timberwolf are.

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Wow, that's a nice response!:)

I love it when companies actually try to make customers happy.

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I know eh? :highfive:

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 09:37 PM
prin

why are you up at 3am feeding jemma and boo......lol......know wonder you have the evil jemma teeth pic........think i would give that look to at 3am:eek:
lol I was on here and read it so I went to check.. They get fed around midnight- not 3 AM (unless we forget or miscommunicate...:o ).

Oh, the other day, I left early for an exam, and my man thought I fed them, but I hadn't because they were asleep, so by the time we got around to feeding them their first meal, it was past 5 o'clock... I felt so bad, but they didn't even ask. They just kept sleeping... (probably too weak from the lack of food :clown: ). Poor doggies!!;)

But ya, I'll follow through and see what happens.;)

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM

No Merrick was in that stink about Go! Natural from Canada... Merrick plants processed the Canadian food because of the beef ban and some was contaminated (but not the Merrick food).

(Sorry for posting 3 times in a row... I'm not thinking quickly tonight.:o )

wdawson
April 28th, 2006, 10:06 PM
prin

i got the same standard e-mail........standard form letter i guess.

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM
It's a pretty good one. Compared to the responses I've gotten from other companies in the past...

You don't want to know what tripe is... It's pretty gross, but nutritious and delicious for them...

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripe
mmmmmmm;)

wdawson
April 28th, 2006, 10:18 PM
if i where scottish,,,,,,that would be haggish.....mmmmm yummy.....lol

rainbow
April 29th, 2006, 01:34 AM
if i where scottish,,,,,,that would be haggish.....mmmmm yummy.....lol

Yummm, Yummm,...."HAGGIS" - - - have you ever tried it?

You don't want to know what tripe is... It's pretty gross, but nutritious and delicious for them...
Isn't it just green tripe that's good for them?

No Merrick was in that stink about Go! Natural from Canada... Merrick plants processed the Canadian food because of the beef ban and some was contaminated (but not the Merrick food).

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sort of recalling it now (you must forgive the "senior moments" I occassionally experience).:eek:

Wasn't it the manufacturing plant that they contacted out to in Texas that was at fault? I'm pretty sure that since that happened they now manufacture at their own facilitites in Abbotsford, B.C.

Prin
April 29th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Not sure about the end of the story. I'd say there's karma in there somewhere.. Trying to get around the beef ban? I dunno.

(But if it's the green tripe that's best, that's the one that's "unwashed" and unfit for human consumption... :yuck: But they love it.. :rolleyes: )

technodoll
April 29th, 2006, 09:27 AM
i buy the frozen green tripe from Urban Carnivore... and i have never smelled anything so horrible in my life. i have to breathe through my nose every time i feed it to my dogs... it literally smelled like liquid cow poop. strangely BOTH my dogs LOVE the stuff, even my fussy boy, and it is a miracle food. fully balanced with everything... so i endure the stench cuz the dogs think it smells like roses, LOL! :rolleyes:

BMDLuver
April 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Where's Urban Carnivore? Haven't heard of that one before.

As for Tripe.. well, I've eaten Haggis many a Hogmany but it's boiled so long it has no smell left. Something to be thankful for. :D

BoxerRescueMTL
April 29th, 2006, 02:39 PM
PoshNosh ( http://www.poshnosh.ca )sells frozen tripe too and it's great!! I hold my breath when I feed it..:sick:

coppperbelle
April 29th, 2006, 07:34 PM
No,I think Chicken Soup,Solid Gold and Timberwolf are.

Solid Gold is not made by Diamond. Diamond makes Chicken Soup and Kirkland to name a few. I don't believe they make Timerwolf either.

Prin
April 29th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Timberwolf might be made in the same plant as Diamond (according to Diamond). I think Rainbow tried to find out where it was milled and Timberwolf wouldn't say, but Diamond did. It's in another thread somewhere.

LL1
April 29th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Do a search and you will see that they are.
Solid Gold is not made by Diamond. Diamond makes Chicken Soup and Kirkland to name a few. I don't believe they make Timerwolf either.

LL1
April 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Has anyone tried the canned tripe?

BMDLuver
April 29th, 2006, 08:31 PM
It's really quite daunting how many more food options are now available for our pets. PoshNosh looks pretty interesting... will have to check some of their stuff out. Thanks Crystal!

My gang really liked the duck necks I picked up recently... they were disappointed when there were none left.

Haven't tried tripe with them though. What's the benefit to feeding it?

cpietra16
April 29th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I just want to quickly derail this thread for a second......its regarding my CHicken soup...cat food. If its made in the same plant like Kirkland, does it mean that they are of the same quality. I couldn't find my usual Wellness for cats so i switched to Chicken soup for this month.
Prin I guess I need your expertise on this one. You should actually have your own thread:D

technodoll
April 29th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Where's Urban Carnivore? Haven't heard of that one before.

BMDluver, here is their website, found in most holistic petshops that sell frozen raw food: http://www.urbancarnivore.com/ about green tripe: http://www.urbancarnivore.com/uc_online/pages.cfm?ID=25

Prairie-Fed Green Tripe Patties
Green tripe from forage fed ruminant animals supplies enzymes, short-chain fatty acids, long-chain omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, and the "friendly" lactic acid bacteria. Green tripe generally delivers equal calcium to phosphorus ratio, and is an excellent source of protein, fiber and fat.

Green tripe is one of the best, most nutritionally complete foods you can give your dogs. It's also, by far, the most smelly! In the case of tripe, horrific smell = good nutrition. It's not actually green, but brown, though you may see the occasional bit of green plant matter. "Green" means it hasn't been processed. Tripe is the stomach of ruminant animals. The stomach contains chewed plant matter, already mostly broken down by gastric juices and amino acids. The ground tripe you'll find here is prepared by shaking out most of the contents of the stomach, then grinding. The coarsely ground tripe has slightly more digestive enzymes (some leaks out during the second grinding).

The digestive enzymes, amino acids and good bacteria help your dog fully digest and utilize his food. Tripe has the ideal calcium:phosphorus balance for your dog, and contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, probiotics and phytonutrients.

The tripe you see in grocery stores is not the same! It has been washed and bleached, and retains almost no nutritional content. Many breeders in europe feed nothing but tripe, and have dogs in glowing good health.

rainbow
April 29th, 2006, 10:18 PM

I've heard that Diamond makes not only Kirkland and Chicken Soup but also both Timberwolf and Solid Gold. Diamond has more plants than just the Gaston one that had the problem.

wdawson
May 9th, 2006, 02:11 PM
prin

i got my coupon from merricks today.......good for a case of 12 cans.

Prin
May 9th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I got three... :o I only bought one can though...