Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Kitten Help Please

xixvnajlavxix
April 27th, 2006, 08:10 PM
My family got adopted by a stray calico a couple months ago when she showed up on our front step and never left. We took her in, she tamed herself, and we went to go get spayed to find out she was already going to have kittens. Luckily, she had them two days ago and she only had four babies. We had plenty of offers for homes for the kittens even before they were born. Even more so now that they are beginning to turn into cute little buggers.
After finding decent homes for the kittens, we have let Sammy nuture and love her kittens where she gave birth to them... a trailer that was left in our front yard while we clean out our shed. We would like to be able to bring Sammy (the mama) back inside, being she snuck out to give birth to them, but I have heard not to touch the kittens at all lest the mother abandon them. Today when I went to leave the house I saw another cat stalking one of the kittens as if it was prey, then took one in its mouth and tried to run away with it before Sammy reclaimed her kitten.

Is there any way I can move them? Will she reject them? Why are the other cats so persistant on taking her kittens? Thank you for any help you can give.

Ed U KayShawn
April 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Definately bring them into the house where they are safe. The Tom cats will kill them. They need to be brought in anyways due to the temperatures. As long as the mother and her babies are not constantly annoyed by people they will do fine. However you do need to make sure that you socialize(pet) them for a few minutes only, everyday to make sure they are comfortable around people. Be sure to move the kittens at the same pace as the momma she will follow you frantically as any good mom does! Try not to stress everyone out including yourself. Be sure to adopt the kittens to homes that will spay/neuter. and get momma spayed ASAP.

erykah1310
April 27th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Its safe to bring them in, and its a good idea to socialize them. Make sure you put momma and the babies in a quiet room and let them have time to themselves, but be sure to handle them daily