Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vinnie Hairballs

chico2
April 27th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I am supposed to be an exoerienced catowner,having had many cats in my life,but I've(my cats:D )never had hairball problems.
Today while we were outside,Vinnie started meowing and heaved up 3 hairballs,together with the grass he'd been eating.
Question:do you think he needs a hairball remedy,or should i trust that he gets it all out by himself?

jessi76
April 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I've never noticed any difference with those hairball "formulas". If it's just an occassional thing, I wouldn't worry about it. Let it be, the cat will get it up naturally... If mine start to get hairballs I usually just brush them more, which seems to keep those unwanted pukey presents to a minimum.

we usually get the ABC cat food and fur nasties around the house. I always laugh hysterically when my bf wanders around barefoot.....:yuck:

mom_to_many
April 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Might give the ol vet a call! Mine recommended letting the cats have a little butter or tuna oil to help lubricate. I have tried the hairball remedy in a tube...cats hate it and I find it in the carpet. It's the shed season...I have already found a few gray hair balls from Spook...yuk!

chico2
April 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Thank's,I think I'll just wait and see,this was the first time ever he did this and it was a lot.
He has more hair and longer than my other cats and I brush him every day,he loves it:p
He meowed really loud,he is usually a very quirt meower,I thought he had caught a mouse,but then he started heaving...I don't want to give him meds,if I don't have to..He would just love a little butter:p

Sunkist/Winnie
April 28th, 2006, 09:10 AM
I was feeding my cats the ahir ball remedy, but I found that they threw up food on an almost daily occurance. So needless to say I stopped feeding them that!

I just try and brush them more this time of year, sometimes I get a little slack, but 'the girls' are so kind to remind me with a wet ball of fur puked up in the worst spot possible it seems.