Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Declawing cats

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I'm not a cat person, I never will be, but after reading enough articles and other peoples posts, I came to realize declawing cats wasn't just a two second decision..

On another forum a rescuer brought up how she wouldn't adopt out to people who declaw, and no one seemed to understand. So I pointed out that it's toe amputation.. it is a big deal and it can cause lasting effects such as behaviour problems from chronic pain, and posted one of the more thorough sites on it.

Get up this morning to see one of the mods there has told me not to create lies so that cats won't get adopted cause those things don't happen.. And declawing is better than being left in a shelter.

Part of the post "if you don't approve of declawing fine, don't declaw your cat. but do not spread around myths ie: lies, about declawed cats to prove your case. not only does that turn people away from adopting clawed cats from you but it also turns away people from adopting already declawed cats. who wants to adopt an already declawed cat from someone who just spent the last 1/2 hour preaching how declawing a cat will make it not want to use a litterbox or will bite you ? "

Nice. I guess I'll go back to keeping my mouth shut. Since all I did was point out that things can happen from decideing you just have to declaw.. not that things will happen.

jessi76
April 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
you don't have to be a "cat person" to know mutilating animals is wrong. Good for you for speaking up - and please, continue to do so! If you got through to just ONE person who was considering it, then you did GREAT!
:thumbs up

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 01:15 PM
A few people mentioned they had innapropriate peeing for their cats lives and they didn't know the two could be linked..
But to be cussed out by a mod for being a lier really makes me want to yell, and it's just a stupid forum..
TY jessie. I guess I just need to hear I'm not a moronic liar or anything. Grrr.

chico2
April 27th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Mafiaprincess,don't give up informing people,the fact is,it's a painful mutilation,the only one benefitting is the couch!!
One of my neighbors,has a new cat,he had her declawed to save the furniture.
This cat seems awfully lonely,I would love to suggest they get another kitten,but then I know what he would do to an innocent kitten and I will suggest nothing!!

Prin
April 27th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Hey, just go find that link somebody posted that shows pics of the amputation.. That should show them.

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I did post a link that I think Lucky originally posted, had like 20 articles including surgery pics. The mod works in a vet clinic. She knows it is toe amputation, but apparently I am a liar.

starr
May 1st, 2006, 06:45 PM
I have had cats since I was three. Lots of them....spoiled, pampered babies. We have never declawed and we have had minimal cat damage as well. When I finished graduate school I had my parents fly 2 of the cats down to live with me. I had to find a home for all of us and located an nice cottage owned by a doctor and his wife. They didn't want any cats in the place but I convinced them that my parents had a nice home and that my mother had a low tolerance level for animal damage. I agreed to pay an additional damage deposit to bring my cats. They agreed as they needed someone responsible to care-take. We actually moved in with 3 cats as my husband and I already had one, together.

Annnyway, after living in the house for a year, we moved. The doctor's wife was astounded to find zero cat damage. The furniture was unscathed! They ended up writing us a glowing letter of recommendation.

This is not to say that we haven't had to deal with kitten behavior or teaching a newly adopted adult to respect our home. However, cats can be taught not to tear up the furniture. My opinion is that people who declaw aren't interested in teaching their cat. They just want the "quick fix" at the expense of the cat. But what about the other problems..ie. "cat peeing"? Would they remove the bladder as well?

We rescued a cat one day who had gotten out of her owner's apartment. Two racoons were after it and it tried in vain to jump to a tree but kept "falling". It also wouldn't fight, which we thought was odd. We saved it and took it into our place. It was only after a couple of hours that we realized that she had NO CLAWS. The poor cat was defenseless.

Long story short, we discovered that this was not the first time the poor cat had almost died after getting out of the apartment. The cat lived out her days with my husband's grandmother, a happy, friendly and lovable kitty.

I know some of you might have thought that this was wrong..for us to ferry the cat away, but the lady who owned her was rarely home and didn't seem to care about her. She even put a bell on the cat so the cat couldn't sneak up on birds when it did happen to get out on the balcony, (which she also fell from more than once). Like the poor cat could have caught one anyway. All the bell did was help the raccoons track the cat! We pointed this out but the owner was more concerned about the birds.

As far as adoption goes, the local SPCA told us cat couldn't go to anyone who'd let her out unsupervised...because again, she was totally defenseless. Declawing limits the options for rehoming. I, for example, wouldn't have one here. We live in the country and our cats get to go out whenever they please. How terrible not to be able to climb and play.

I wonder what it would be like to have half of our fingers and toes cut off?

Like I said, declawing is wrong. Good for you for standing up for cats.

Starr