Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bathub Peeing

kittykate
April 27th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Hi, my boyfriend and I went away for Easter weekend, since we don't go away a lot, our kitty isn't used to it. My mother came in to feed him and spend some time with him; we were gone less than 48 hours. Since we have been back, our kitty has been acting really weird. He has pretty much stopped eating wet food and will only eat dry (completely not like him, he used to scoff the wet like it was going out of style). Last night he peed in our bathub instead of the litter box which was really weird. I changed the litter and he seems ok with it now. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced behaviour change when they go away or if anyone thinks there could be other issues with him. We have a vet appointment coming up.

Ed U KayShawn
April 27th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Yes!! I have had a similar situation just recently, we had a stray female come around and whenever she was in the house she would use the bathtub instead of the litterbox this happened a few times. We got her spayed and added an additional litterbox as we have 3 other cats. Most of the time when this happens (out side the box) it is due to the litter -wrong kind they don;t like it (clay or sand) or the location of the litterbox. Cats can be very sensitive to who is watching and how busy the location is. Of course, getting them spayed or neutered is a must. Hope I was of some help!

kittykate
April 27th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Thankyou! We had recently switched from clumping to crystals as we heard the crystals were better. We switched back to the clumping and he seems to be happier. We have had him a year (in 2 weeks) and he was fixed before we got him. My kitty is NOT a shy boy when it comes to his litter box I can tell you!

Dog Dancer
April 27th, 2006, 11:13 AM
One of my late kitties started using the bathtub when I switched their litter. When I put back the old one it stopped entirely. But yes even going away for two days can cause a cat to act up. Keep the littler box as clean as possible - for many cats they won't use a box that has anything in it.

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM
My ex bf's cat used to pee in the bathtub to show the ex she had crystals in her urine. But that cat was an oddball. :)

starr
May 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM
1. bladder/kidney infection/crystals
2. hyperthyroid (just recently!)
3. anger/stress
4. unclean litter box

#3..when I met the man who is now my husband, one of my cats was ticked off that someone else was sleeping in my bed. She pooped on his side! lol

Any time we'd move, she'd pee or poop somewhere to show us how displeased she was. Her sister had to have the litter box cleaned regularly or she'd try to do her business down the drain of the tub! Gross! However, for any of my others it was always illness related.

#2..hyperthyroid..after having many cats over the years this is my first experience with having a cat that has a thyroid disorder. She started going "potty" in the weirdest places. The vet also said that if they have tooth problems..ie. pain, it can also make them do this.

No matter what, the cat is trying to tell us something. I just wish they'd learn sign language or something! lol

Starr

rainbow
May 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Have you taken your cat to the vet for a check-up yet as there could definitely be something wrong.:pawprint: