Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue Remedy

poodletalk
April 27th, 2006, 06:46 AM
My neighbor adopted an eight year old golden couple of months ago, great dog but extremely hyper!

When he sees his leash, he goes ballistic and literally bounces off the walls. Besides the leash, he walks around the house the whole day panting following his new owners. When he's in the car, he gets extremly anxious, probably thinking he's going to get dumped again.

I saw with another rescue group, when their cats got anxious in the cages, they would give them couple of drops of herbs which is called "rescue remedy"
and the cats would calm down.

I bought the rescue remedy at the animal food store around the corner from my office for the golden, it's good for humans as well along with animals. My neighbors have been giving him the drops of herbs directed on the label for a 90 pound golden, so far their's no difference in his behavoir.

I know this "Rescue Remedy" is popular with other rescat one, I am wondering what is other peoples experience with it.

BMDLuver
April 27th, 2006, 07:08 AM
It's like anything else, works for some, not for all.

Could also try what is called Biocalm.. it too is all natural and I've had better results with it than with Rescue Remedy. One of the vet techs recommended it to me as their mom has a standard poodle who is always anxious. Takes about a month to see full effects though so perhaps Rescue Remedy needs a month too.

kaytris
April 27th, 2006, 08:18 AM
they may want to try comfort zone DAP as well - many have reported good success calming anxious dogs.

However, simple training may help too - have they done any formal work with him yet? A private session with a trainer who uses positive reinforcement could do wonders.

Just as an example, they can work on sit-stay while they get the leash. Dog gets up, the leash goes away. repeat until the dog can hold a sit as the leash is picked up and put on the dog. And a downstay as they briefly leave the room and then return. Etc, etc.

badger
April 27th, 2006, 08:19 AM
You didn't say if they were using other methods to try to control this poor dog's anxiety, along with the RR. Like meds and talk therapy, which have been shown to work far better in tandem than alone, it may be a good idea to apply some training techniques at the same time.
Just a thought. RR can be very subtle (or, as BMDLover says, not work at all).
Oops, trumped again. Good suggestions, Kaytris, you read my mind lol.

poodletalk
April 27th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Actually, the dog is very well behaved. He knows all his commands, he can go for long walks off leash and comes back by his new owners calling his name.

The dog is on the boarder line of having seperation anxiey, he lived with one family for 8 years the baby came along and they booted the dog out of their home.

Within three months, theirs alot of changes in his life, first language the dog is know learning English. (The owners still talk to him in French but they want him learn his commands in English as well), he now lives with two other dogs, he has a dog walker in the afternoons who takes him for an hour work while the owners are at work.

The owners did take him to the vets since he was overweight and they put him on a "diet" actually the pounds fell off of him with all the walking and running he does in a day.

His new owners are EXCELLENT, they are trying to work with this dog to give him confidence so he will understand he will never be dumped again.

kaytris
April 27th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I still think using the commands he knows will help settle him down. There is no 'magic pill' that's going to work here... even with drugs, you need to implement behaviour mod.

I have seen a website with exercises to teach the dog to calm down, I'll try and find it after work today.

Lucky Rescue
April 27th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Rescue Remedy doesn't work right away. It takes awhile for the effects to accumulate and be noticeable.

This poor dog has lost everything in his world, and is understandably stressed and upset. Time will take care of this, as will putting the dog on a strict routine so he will know what to expect next. That will give him confidence and will calm him. Even good things, like going to a new wonderful home, are very stressful, even for us and WE understand what is happening.

A big kick in the butt to those cretins for dumping him, and a big :thumbs up to these people for adopting an 8 year old dog!

Mrs Bungle
April 27th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Works for me! I take rescue for my panic attacks!

Just thought i would add that in there ;)

Lucky Rescue
April 27th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Works for me! I take rescue for my panic attacks!

Really?? I know someone who is troubled with panic attacks and anxiety. I'll pass this on.

Sorry to hijack!!

poodletalk
April 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Exactly Lucky, the poor dog did loose everything and now it will take some time and patience to make the dog feel comfortable again. He's on a routine, since the people work and he gets plenty of excerise.

I will tell them to keep up with the rescue remedy, since they have only been using it for a week or two.

The people who took him are fantastic and the dog is great! He loves everyone and everything, (except for my dog and my dog doesn't love him either) I hope in time they will grow to like each other since after all we are neighbors!

BoxerRescueMTL
April 27th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I take Rescue Remedy for my anxiety too and it really helps me. Chris is the biggest skeptic - and he takes it sometimes too for stress. He really notices a difference. I'm sure that the effects are different for everyone, though and maybe the effects on their dog are very subtle. Do they put it in his drinking water as well? I like to do this for the dogs when they are stressed because they get a regular intake of it. It's possible the pooch is just ridiculously stressed in which case I guess only time and love will heal...(but RR will help ;) ) I'm definitely going to check out Biocalm as well for my own rescues..

coppperbelle
April 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Chloe my 5 year old golden had extreme anxiety when I first got her. She was terrified of being abandoned again I guess. I tried rescue remedy on her but it didn't work. She was just too anxious I guess. I even tried putting her on Clomicalm which is a prescription drug for dogs with anxiety issues. It is a short term use drug which along with training helps some dogs. It didn't help her either.
How long have they had this dog? Panting usually stops after a few days. Most of my oldie fosters will pant for the first few days but eventuallly it decreases with time. I would have him vet checked. Maybe there is something physical that is causing him to pant.

poodletalk
April 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM
They put 4 drops right on his tongue. I am trying to encourage them to put it in his water, problem is they don't want their 2 other dogs drinking from the bowl of water with the rescue remedy in it. I know it won't cause any harm to their other dogs, but they prefer not to do it.

The dog did go to the vet when he went to the rescue, then my neighbours took him to their vet for a check up. The panting is causes by anxiety, they had him for three months. It's getting a tiny bit better but not much.

I think with this case, it will take time and patience.

BoxerRescueMTL
April 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM
poodletalk, maybe you can show them this website as well http://www.turidrugaas.com

kaytris
April 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM
These aren't the websites I was thinking of, but your friends may find ithem useful:
http://www.boulderhumane.org/location/info_separation.htm

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1574&S=1

meb999
April 27th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I tried it on Buster when we got him and he was WAYYYY streesed out, but I didn't rreally notice a difference.

I take Rescue Remedy for my anxiety too and it really helps me
I take the good perscription type stuff for my anxiety :D

meb999
April 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM
poodletalk, maybe you can show them this website as well http://www.turidrugaas.com
Calming signals worked alot better for me to aleviate Buster's anxiety then rescue remedy....

Frenchy
April 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Poor Buzz!I tought he would "adjust" and settled.I know his owners are taking very good care of him and he gets plenty of exercise.Good luck!

poodletalk
May 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM
OK-He's on the rescue remedy for awhile now, no difference. Where would you buy biocalm?

Frenchy
May 26th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Hi Poodletalk.I bought Bio-Calm at my vet,it's made by CentaurVa.$18.00 for a 120 ml bottle...it says on the bottle;veterinary use only so I guess you can only buy it at the vet.Not too sure if it works,I bought it because my dogs are afraid of thunder,you have to give them one hour before,I never could predict the thunder so they always get it late...but they were always pretty calm AFTER the storm!