Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

stinky ears golden retriever don't look infected

toymom
April 26th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Our golden retriever has started swimming a lot now that it is warming up and her ears stink like they are infected, but they do not look infected. I had her at the vet once last year for shots when she had this same problem and he said it was probably from all the swimming. Is there a cheaper treatment than the ear cleaner stuff from the vet to use and is there something that will make them smell better? Like I use vinegar/alcohol for my daughter's ears. Would that help the dog?
Thank you, Dana

erykah1310
April 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Could be yeast infection, was the dog checked for that? You can buy a good cleaner from the vets office that is available with out prescription, I have to use it on one of my dogs to keep her ears clean, I would stay away from the alcohol though.

Prin
April 27th, 2006, 02:13 AM
EEK!! I would stay away from alcohol (it burns if there is a slight infection or any cuts in the ear...). You can use a very dilute vinegar solution, but that won't dry out the ear (and that is what is needed after swimming). You can buy the solution from the vet, but instead of dumping it in the ear, put some on a cotton ball and clean the ear out with the ball. The vet solution dries the ear out as it cleans.

Some dogs have a high threshold for pain though, and might not scratch until it gets intolerable. Best to get it checked out anyway, just to be sure (you don't want it spreading inside the ear and causing middle or inner ear infections, which are harder to treat).

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 02:34 AM
I have a vet solution for ears. It's part vinegar... I've found though that if I thought smelly ears were a problem before, something about the vinegar intensifies smell for a few days, and then she doesn't smell like anything. I almost cringe at the thought of ear cleaning the smell of just cleaned ears is kinda rank. I've been looking for a different solution to use with less vinegar or possibly none..