Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trash Collection Changes?

mafiaprincess
April 26th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I was reading the local newspaper here today, and read that when they implement the green bin program, they also are switching to clear trash bags only.. So that they can see what you are tossing. And while I can see the point.. I mean my ex never bothered to recycle ever.. Anything personal that I wouldn't want the world to see kinda bugs me. Apparently they'll refuse your trash if there are any grocery store bags in it. Which brings me to the fact that I pick up my doggie poop on walks.. They'd expect you to dump the poop somewhere else, and keep the dirty bag, for fear that they'll refuse your trash cause you could be hiding something?

I'm just kinda annoyed while I get that some people probably are tossing stuff they shouldn't.. I'd rather not have my trash investigated. Push hard enough and people might stop picking up poop and such. It's only been this year that picking up poop doesn't really revolt me, it's now a fact of life.. But I have no desire to frig with it anymore after I go to toss it you know?

Have they implemented any changes like this where any of you live?

wdawson
April 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
not that i know of.......they did try and put a one bag limit on us and not sure if that is now a non issue....can you imagine trying to fit all the non recyclable stuff into one bag per week when we are a family of 4 with 2 dogs 3 cats and a rabbit:eek: ..........thank god i have a dumpster at my office.

mafiaprincess
April 26th, 2006, 11:29 PM
My Grams has a one bag limit in Brockville, and they want to impose a no bag limit.. Like people would willingly vote for no trash collection unless they paid more..

Prin
April 27th, 2006, 12:47 AM
They put a bag limit in the 17th C or something and then people just started dumping their trash on the streets and eventually it caused the plague. Hope they don't try that again.

In PEI they have clear bags already. And they reject them really easily but apparently you get the hang of it.

raingirl
April 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
We have a bag limit in Brampton. I think it's 2 or 3 small bags or one large black garbage bag.

Personally, I think it's good. In our house we recycle probably 75% of our waste, and only throw out one small bag of garbage once a week. If we had green boxes here, it would probably be even less. I am all for clear bags as well.

Also, if you shred your documents, you can donate the shreds to local grade schools, as they soak the shreds in water and put in the blender to make paper for crafts.

Writing4Fun
April 27th, 2006, 09:46 PM
We have a 2-bag limit, and they're really strict about not allowing those humongous industrial-sized bags. If they would bring in the green boxes, or if I knew anything about composting, I would have no problem with a 1-bag limit. I rarely toss more than one green bag anyway, unless it's a holiday and we had a party or something.

I'm not sure about the clear bags, though. First of all, they're not exactly easy to find, are they? Second of all, I have a bunch of small cans all over my house. I use the grocery bags to line them. Then, on trash day, I gather them all up and put them in one big bag. If I can't use the grocery bags to line my garbage cans, and I can't just throw them out, then what am I supposed to do with them? I have way more grocery bags than pooper scooping could ever account for! :p

raingirl
April 27th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I think if the cities started making clear bags mandatory, then most grocery stores would have to start using them, and most companies would have to start selling them. At least leftover grocery bags are recyclable. Just dump them all in one bag, and right in the recycle box. I do that when I get overloaded.

If you need composting help, just let me know! Most cities sell super cheap composters directly at municple garbage lots. Just set one up, and put anything organic in it, just no meat or bone. That means leaves, grass, egg shells, coffee grinds, veggie scraps, rotten veggies. It takes a few years to get anything out of it. Personally, I wouldn't put grass clippings in, since it's better to leave them on the lawn to decompose (it's natural fertilizer). Just get a pitch fork and mix it around once a month in the warm weather. You can use it all winter as well, just mix it really well once in the spring to mix it all in. If you have kids, get them to go out worm picking after each rain storm, and dump all the worms in there. They help decompose the stuff faster.

mafiaprincess
April 27th, 2006, 11:51 PM
We have had a digester pretty much most of my life. It takes what a composter isn't even supposed to including meat waste, and other undesireables plus the usual compost. It just breaks down, doesn't get cleaned out. So all our 'green stuff' hasn't gone in the trash in a LONG time.. And we put out 4 recycling boxes every two weeks.

Usually we just have one can, even though it's a 4 bag limit. But we line the garbage cans in the bathroom and bedrooms with grocery bags.. if I do a major yard poopy clean up it goes in a grocery bag and in the trash, plus daily walks.

I don't care if they limit the bags, once in a while if we hardcore clean house it's nice to have.. but it's rare we need it. It's just my concern that they'll scrutinize and refuse just cause of my dog's poop habits or whatever. Currently clear bags are still hard to find. But apparently the cut off date is still a few months away. I see really angry people if a bunch of trash is all of a sudden refused for pick up because they don't like what you are throwing out, or can't see enough of it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 28th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Where we are we can have two bags or two garbage cans - We got the extra large garbage cans - cause you can fit more than one gargage bag in it.

Cheating ? maybe but they take it. :D

The clear bag idea is dum I think - and no grocery bag - do they even make clear bags to fit in the smaller garbage containers that go in your house - or are you supposed to empty them. IF you cant throw them away then what are you supposed to do with them.

I like our recycling program here though - you can put in as much as you want in clear bags or the blue bags - and whats cool is you dont have to sort it.

I remember in Vancouver you had to sort everything and if you did it wrong they wouldnt pick it up. :evil:

Prin
April 28th, 2006, 03:42 AM
But if you have more bags than your limit, what are you supposed to do with them?

jesse's mommy
April 28th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Save them for the following week. :D

Our tree/limb/leave limit is twenty pounds. So we've been doing a lot of work in the backyard and just drag a pile out every Wednesday. I figure we will be through the piles by the end of hurricane season. :o

chico2
April 28th, 2006, 07:42 AM
In Oakville we have a SIX bag limit,no Green Bin,only Blue Box for bottles,newspapers,cardboard-boxes.
We also have a composter in the backyard for leaves etc..that I use in gardening.But every 2 weeks the City picks up branches and gardeningwaste.
We usually have 2 garbagebags and every 2 weeks they're heavy with cat-litter.
Anybody have any idea how to dispose of cat-litter other than in a garbage bag??
I change the clumping litter every 2 weeks.
The grocery-stores could help out,by using paperbags rather than plastic,but I know one company that would go bancrupt,if stores stopped using their plasticbags!

AliSam
April 28th, 2006, 08:19 AM
We have a 3 bag limit. Anything over 3 we have to label with these yellow tags. The first supply of tags was given to us by the city; any subsequent ones we have to purchase. Rumour has it in July we are going down to a 2 bag limit.

The green bin has already been implemented where I am. We put a lot of stuff in that, as well as recycling alot. We usually only have 1/2 a bag of trash each week (there are only 2 of us). I haven't heard anything about having to switch to clear bags. We can only use paper bags for yard waste and bio-degradeable clear bags for the green bin.

Schwinn
April 28th, 2006, 12:27 PM
We have a one can limit. I've been told that it's actually a one bag limit, but they consider the can to be one bag, which usually has several bags in it as well as odds and ends. We've got a nice big one, so it usually does us. If we have too much, we save it until next week. With the wee one, our garbage, naturally greatly increased (little pooper goes through 6-10 diapers a day!) I've started using the composter a lot so that we can keep our garbage down.

jessi76
April 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I think we have a limit, but I don't know what it is, as I've never used the trash pickup service. But I do know if you want pickup, you have to buy town bags. and they're not that cheap, last I knew, they were around $5-$6/bag. or as we do, pay a monthly DUMP fee of like $5, and do it yourself. We make a dump run every other weekend, and seperate our own recyclables. Cheap, and easy. Plus, it's a good time for Tucker... he gets to visit w/ the dump-dog.

SnowDancer
April 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM
We are in Toronto and have been on the Green Bin program for about 1 1/2 years - have to tell you, I HATE IT IN SUMMER. The raccoons and skunks open the containers and help themselves and practically give you the finger. When the program first started, they allowed people to put several kitchen size garbage bags into the bin or you could line the bin with one clear garbage bag or just dump in your organic waste - which of course would lead to a very horrible smelling and dirty bin (see it on street all the time). I went the clear bag route. It is important to get the larger clear bags (Loblaws carries them "Lawn and Garden". If you get smaller ones, you won't be able to get the stuff in and then tie a knot with the plastic bag - this is important or when the bags are dumped your stuff will end up on the street. And, we bought a second Green Bin for emergency purposes - excess organic waste - and "liberation" of Green Bins - many people steal them from the streets sorry to say. If we had one Green Bin and excess organic waste, yes we would have to put in a clear bag. So far we have managed to get everything into the one bin. Cat litter has to go in a clear bag. I really wish that in summer at least they would take maybe one bag of "regular" garbage a week just to cut down on pests - but they don't. It is things like styrofoam meat trays, or the plastic around meat pieces - that type of thing that are difficult - since they have to go in regular garbage. On Blue Box days, I have started putting cans, bottles - nothing paper - in the Blue Box and then using blue plastic garbage bags for paper items such as tissue boxes, paper towel rolls, etc. because I am sick of having sodden paper in a Blue Box that gets stuck to the sides and is not properly emptied. I would suggest reasonable quality Blue bags - bought some at a drugstore that my finger goes through when trying to pull one from Box so now I have the type recommended by the White Haired Ad guy on TV. And like many people, on Garbage Bay Day I do put some milk cartons - anything that can mould - into the garbage bags - particularly in summer because I can't stand it. I did buy some good quality containers that I put chicken bones etc. in and freeze until the night before Green Bin day and then empty them. I line the containers with paper towel so that everything can be dumped. If you use foil or plastic wrap then of course you are back to garbage again. Not easy, but apparently it is worse in Guelph - I have been told that you have to separate your plastics. This week one of our neighbours put several small bags into his Green Bin - the garbage collectors took only one bag and left the rest. He was annoyed, but then the newsletter that came around several months ago did say this was going to happen. In summer I also buy milk in bottles - dates permitting.

raingirl
April 28th, 2006, 08:01 PM
You know what I found at Canadian Tire 2 years ago? Recycling bags made out of "Tarp" material! They are great because we live in an apartment. It comes wiwth green, blue, and silver, but since we can mix and match, I just stick it all in anywhere. What is great is they hang on a hook, I fill them up, I take them to the basement, empty them, then I rinse them in the tub! They are also machine washable! They would make a great liner to a regular blue box!

mafiaprincess
April 28th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Those sound really helpful Raingirl, cool.