Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Interview with Clayton Ruby Apr26th

seeker
April 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM
He offers a little more of an explanation as to what grounds he is fighting this on . Hopefully this clears things up a little for those that think this is being fought in order for some woman in Northern Ontario to breed muts.
[/url] http://www.cbc.ca/ontariotoday/storey_archive.html[/url]

seeker
April 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM
try this http://www.cbc.ca/ontariotoday/ click on storey archive it's in there

lezzpezz
April 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM
for those without speakers...and to keep on file:rolleyes:

* Unconstitutional vagueness;
* Substantially similar: what is it?? It means, NOT IDENTICAL" and was only ever used once in court in a TAX case;
* to vague to be a standard leading to cause death of dogs or imprisonment of dog owners;
* based on physical traits, not dangerousness of dog; basically "how do you look";
* focuses on breed instead of dangerous dog issue;
*narrow it down; stick to breed (don't know what this refers to:confused: );
* NO VET SHOULD DO IT! (identify and label dog as pb);
* Onus on owner to prove lineage....or court will decide if dog is "pitbull enough"; Onus on owner to prove dog is NOT PB or go to prison;
* In majority of cases, owner doesn't know lineage as dog was given, adopted, rescued....

May 15/16 in Toronto court is the case. It is unconstitutional- to vague a description. The term Substantially Similar covers too many dogs, hybrids, crossbreeds. BAD dog owners want vicious dogs and will turn to Rotties, GS etc.

OVA suggests keeping a registry to record cases of dogs that exhibit threatening and dangerous behaviours. Willing to work with gov't. Any dangerous dog has a repeat record and doesn't just become dangerous suddenly. These dogs can be monitored and leash/muzzle orders can be handed out to the owners.

All dog owners need to apply for liscencing and be responsible!!

Schwinn
April 27th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I have to say, I'm glad to hear him mention German Shepards as a breed people will go BACK to. I know a lot of people don't want to see any other breed scape-goated, but hear me out.

I actually like it for two reasons. First of all, it further proves Bryant's fallacy, that the pitbull is "a breed apart". If there is a problem with other breeds, that arguement falls. Secondly, rotti's and dobes are easy targets. How many people think of the German Sheppard as "vicious", though? Most wouldn't. But in the late seventies, that was the breed that people wanted to ban. Rather than adding to the list, I think this actually works in our favour. It's the perfect example--this dog that most people think is a "safe" breed (and it's about as "safe" as any other breed), was at one time targeted as dangerous almost 30 years ago. What happened with that? Now, hardly anyone thinks of this dog as vicious, or a monster. I think it proves our point.

Luvmypit
April 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM
What program can play it? Never heard of a .ram

lezzpezz
April 27th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I hope this is what you're asking Luvmypit:o I am soooo not tech savvy.:p

babyrocky1
April 27th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I cant listen to it either so thanks for the break down Lezzerpezz! Sorry about the spelling of your name though:crazy:

seeker
April 27th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I have to say, I'm glad to hear him mention German Shepards as a breed people will go BACK to. I know a lot of people don't want to see any other breed scape-goated, but hear me out.

I actually like it for two reasons. First of all, it further proves Bryant's fallacy, that the pitbull is "a breed apart". If there is a problem with other breeds, that arguement falls. Secondly, rotti's and dobes are easy targets. How many people think of the German Sheppard as "vicious", though? Most wouldn't. But in the late seventies, that was the breed that people wanted to ban. Rather than adding to the list, I think this actually works in our favour. It's the perfect example--this dog that most people think is a "safe" breed (and it's about as "safe" as any other breed), was at one time targeted as dangerous almost 30 years ago. What happened with that? Now, hardly anyone thinks of this dog as vicious, or a monster. I think it proves our point.

Schwinn , sometime during the 70s my younger sister was attacked by a GSD while playing with her friend in a fenced yard . She had played there many times before this, there had never been a problem and the dog was a pet . He was a big one and she required a number of stitches to her shoulder and NECK. For some reason the dog "snapped" something that the government is now telling us can only happen to Pitbull type dogs.

Luba
April 27th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Any dog can 'snap' just like people can and do!

Schwinn
April 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Schwinn , sometime during the 70s my younger sister was attacked by a GSD while playing with her friend in a fenced yard . She had played there many times before this, there had never been a problem and the dog was a pet . He was a big one and she required a number of stitches to her shoulder and NECK. For some reason the dog "snapped" something that the government is now telling us can only happen to Pitbull type dogs.

My sister lost half her lip to a GSD, required plastic surgery to fix. That's why I remember the uproar in the '70's.

To this day, she says it's not the breed. And she loves our pitbull.

wdawson
April 27th, 2006, 10:04 PM
my 70+ plus year parents have provided doggy daycare for my pit cross since he was 8 weeks old....with all the bad press at the time i told them he was a beagle cross........then the ban kicked in , i then had to tell them he was a pitx.......they bought into the media crap and said i should look for another babysitter as they don't want to be looked down upon for having a beast in the hood........well i never looked for another babysitter and just kept bringing him over to their house......well he is now 1yr old and they are now inseperable....i have to fight every night to bring him home.....they are so proud walking him.....muzzle and all:)

twodogsandacat
April 28th, 2006, 12:09 AM
my 70+ plus year parents have provided doggy daycare for my pit cross since he was 8 weeks old....with all the bad press at the time i told them he was a beagle cross........then the ban kicked in , i then had to tell them he was a pitx.......they bought into the media crap and said i should look for another babysitter as they don't want to be looked down upon for having a beast in the hood.......

Funny. My parents had no problems when they thought they were watching a pit bull mix. After his appraisal as a Doberman Rhody mix they had concerns about the Dob. Seems they read the news more in the eighties than they did in 2005.

jesse's mommy
April 28th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Wdawson, I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm actually rather proud of my parents with their thinking these days (basically since we got Jesse). My mom calls me yesterday and says she saw an ad in the paper (this is terrible I know) for a "free to a good home" for two blue nose pits. If she had the energy for two new puppies she would have got them. Unfortunately my parents are starting to get a little older and wouldn't be able to handle two puppies at this point. But I was proud of them for their "thoughts" on pits because they were never like that until we got Jesse. My mom always says "I love that little dog." And always asks "How's my Granddog?". They now love pits. They see their devotion and know it's the owners responsibility to focus on the good deeds with them. It doesn't seem like much, but if you knew my parents and how stubborn they can be with their views it's a huge step for them.

Copper'sMom
April 28th, 2006, 02:02 PM

I was bit by a GSD too! I was driving tow truck at the time and boosting the people's car. The dog kept nipping at my heels and barking. I asked "does the dog bite?" the owner said "NO." So i didn't worry about it. When i turned my back to get in the truck, the dog came up behind me and bit me in the bum!!!! She drew blood and I was wearing snow pants, jeans and long johns!! Thank goodness for the extra layers that day! I had a heck of a time sitting for the next few days.
I did report the incident to the OPP and they did nothing about it. I didn't know who else to call to report it!

I felt sorry for this dog as soon as i saw it anyway. She had duct tape on her leg covering a wound:( . The owners said it they used duct tape to stop her from licking it as she tore off all other bandages. She was a farm dog too - allowed to roam.

But, if the owners had been more responsible, I wouldn't have been bitten and the poor dog (Angel was her name) probably wouldn't have had a nasty wound that wouldn't heal!:(

Sorry for getting off topic......................

I don't hate GSD's and I know banning them wouldn't have helped me! Or anyone else for that matter!

LM1313
April 28th, 2006, 04:26 PM
My mom has a great distrust of german shepherds, along with pit bulls, rottweilers, and dobermans. But that doesn't mean she hates every dog of those breeds . . . My grandmother's neighbor had a german shepherd who she liked and felt sorry for. He had severe hip dysplasia. :(

~LM~