Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy going indoors

Iron
April 26th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I just adopted a puppy on 04/22/06. Her name is Shadow and she is 9 months old. I was assured she was housebroken. When I am home Shadow lets me know that she needs out to go potty and she holds it all night long. I work 8 hrs per day like most and when I am at work, she goes in the house. I take her outside a couple times in the a.m. before leaving for work and she does her business. I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't understand why she can't hold it during the day if she can at night. Is there anything else I can do to help her? :pawprint:

joeysmama
April 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM
I'm guessing it's because she is sleeping at night. She can't sleep around the clock so maybe you should look into having someone come in to let her out and spend some time with her during the day. You can ask your vet for the names of dog walkers if you aren't comfortable asking friends or neighbors.

mafiaprincess
April 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM
My dog is a year and a half, and just not reliable in the house alone. So she's crated while I need to go out and she can't come with me. I'd suggest limiting where the dog can go, babygating in the kitchen for example, somewhere easy to clean up, and limits how far the dog can wander. No accidents increase the space some, etc.
A dog walker, freind, family coming over part way through the day would be ideal.. but I had a job, I've been in school, I know ideal doesn't always happen.

Lucky Rescue
April 26th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I don't understand why she can't hold it during the day if she can at night.

For the same reason YOU can hold it for 8 hours all night, but not 8 hours during the day.

8 hours during the day is too long for a puppy to hold it.

Iron
April 27th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Lucky, I read an article on training and it stated "Healthy dogs should be able to control their bladder and bowels for eight hours." I know that my last dog, we had her for 16 years, was able to go all day without accidents, not to compare them. I assumed that most dogs could. Is there a magical age where the dog has better control? And by the way, most days I do go 8 hours without a potty break.

Yesterday when I left for work, I closed the doors to other rooms, and when I got home noticed that Shadow had not had any accidents. She done great. She was immediately let out and done her business. No accidents over night either, but this morning was a different story. I let her out, she done her business and came back in. I got in the shower, when I got out she had pooped in front of the bathroom do. I guess I need to make sure she stays out longer. :pawprint:

Kerrye
April 27th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Hi
I have a aprox 3-5 yr old schnoodle x?. He is a rescue dog I adopted last August. They told me he was totally housebroken. I have given him the run of the house (along with the two cats), while I am at work. He has had a couple of accidents but I try to come home twice a day ( thankfully I work close to home) even though they say you can leave a dog for eight hours it is better to let them out at least every 4hours. I know I wouldn't be a happy camper if I slept eight hours and had a window of maybe 1hour to do my business before I had to go another 8 hour shift without a bathroom break. From what I have read there is an increased chance of bladder crystals when a dog has to wait 8 hours on a regular basis.

I agree that if possilbe have someone let him out during the day.

badger
April 27th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I may be WAY off base here, but there's some attention-getting going on here too. Is your dog getting a raw deal, time-wise? Don't mean to offend, but sometime life gets busy and other demands intervene.
Definitely agree that someone should come in during the day and visit with her, if at all possible. It's not just the social part (although that's important), it's the continuous learning part she needs, kind of like children.
Just my completely uninformed opinion. JMCUO, new acronym, could be useful.

jessi76
April 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
my dog is over a year old now, and couldn't hold it 8 hours during the day. Just because you read an article that stated "Healthy dogs should be able to control their bladder and bowels for eight hours" doesn't mean YOUR dog can. If I were you, I'd gradually build up the time, instead of trying for the full 8 hrs right away.

Dog walkers, friends/family stopping by to let your dog out are all excellent ideas. As is confining your dog to a small area while you're gone. Another option, if available in you area, could be doggy daycare.

Also, you just adopted this dog on 4/22. Not enough time for her to adjust to her new home, new people, new schedule. Your new pup will need time, maybe months, to adjust to everything. Be patient, and in the meantime, make arrangements to accomodate her.

Lucky Rescue
April 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Yes, healthy adult dogs can certainly hold it 8 hours or longer. But this is a 9 month old puppy that may not be completely housetrained. And is it really 8 hours? Are you including travel time in there? Or is it 8 hours plus travelling time?

but this morning was a different story. I let her out, she done her business and came back in. I got in the shower, when I got out she had pooped in front of the bathroom do

You have to TAKE her out and not let her out. This is so you can make sure she really does go, and praise her for doing so outside.

Some dogs will not go if you just let them out.

Also, you just adopted this dog on 4/22. Not enough time for her to adjust to her new home, new people, new schedule. Your new pup will need time, maybe months, to adjust to everything. Be patient, and in the meantime, make arrangements to accomodate her.

You got her on Saturday and expect no mistakes while leaving her alone all day? I would say that under the circumstances, she is doing really well. When getting a new dog it's always best to arrange some vacation time to gradually get the dog used to everything, including being left alone.

And by the way, most days I do go 8 hours without a potty break.

You stay at work all day with no pee breaks? Wow.

joeysmama
April 27th, 2006, 11:13 AM
During the day it's just not healthy for a person to go that long without a potty break. Our bodies perfrom that function for a reason.

I would imagine that the same holds true for our pups. We want to avoid serious issues down the road, so we try to make sure our little guy always has enough to drink and enough opportunity to eliminate as well. It's best for his bladder and his kidneys.