Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello Fellow miniature daschund lovers and fellow dog enthusiasts!

yessiedog
April 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM
We share our home with best little dachshund, she loves to go for walks, greets us at the door every single time even if we have only been gone 10 minutes, licks non stop, loves to chew sticks, dig in the sand, play catch with one of her numerous balls and lounge in a patch of sun on the rug when possible. We just love her! Even though she was given to me from a girlfriend whose boyfriend did not like her and I think abused her somewhat, she still has a wonderful nature! We have had her for just about 8 years now and intend on ensuring she has a great life for however much longer she has. Aren't dogs great?! If you have a wonderful dachshund reply back with a blurb on the character of your furry family member, I'd love to hear it!

yessiedog in :ca:

LibbyP
April 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Welcome yessiedog,:sorry: I don't have a alittle 'hotdog' only big dogs and cats here, but I wanted to say Hi:pawprint:

SnowDancer
April 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Dogs of my heart - but they are on the bridge. I know that Dachshunds just love to play with sticks, but be careful, sometimes - and it happened to me - a stick can get lodged in the back of the upper mouth and you won't be able to see it - and so off to Emergency you go thinking your dog is choking to death. Fortunately the vet was able to remove the stick without surgery and without a lengthy course of anti-biotics - but only because we got there fast. Dachshunds are such a comfort - keep you warm at night even though you are hanging from the edge of the bed to make room for them - making certain that your food tastes good - and ever so protective - I had major big guys in small bodies.

yessiedog
April 27th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Wow, I have never heard of a whole stick getting lodged in their throat...that would have been unnerving I am sure. Glad to hear that it didn't require surgery. Your story will make me a little more attentive to our stick playing I am sure. As for the dog taking up the whole bed...yes a little body but she loves to sleep sideways so we do hang off the sides of the bed at times to make room for her!! LOL
Have a great day!

SnowDancer
April 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Sideways - and often between the knees as you hang from the bed. Doesn't help if you move, because Dachshunds have to touch you at all times. Also if you happen to have one of those neck pillows with the identation on one side and your pup goes missing in the house and you are having a fit - have a look at the pillow and see if it is moving as your pup is giggling with delight -ensconced in the indentation - warm and comfy. Around the house I always had to wear an extra size sweater or sweatshirt as one of my guys just loved to crawl under it - and of couse - fall asleep in the horizonatal position. Good thing they are a lot smaller than their personalities. I have had a problem adjusting to our Eskimo's long legs - I am pre-programmed to know just how far to stay back from flying paws - so need goalie equipment. What happened with the stick is that it broke as he chewed it - and it was thick - husband was babysitting him outside and didn't notice - so it was a piece about 2 inches long - but it was wide. Horrible. This was my first Dachshund Wonder Wiener the First - and one of the pioneers in full body/neck disc surgery who when he came home after 40 days, shaped like a banana, totally shaved with huge barb-wire like stitches - tried to protect me from a Rotti we saw on the street. It was his determination to stick around to protect me that prompted the neuro to do such massive surgery. What a guy!