Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitt w/ Heart Murmur & Rott w/ Dry ears

Praellwyn
April 26th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Hi!

Any help?

I know someone who has a Red-Nose Pitt rescue w/ a heart murmur. She has already lost a littermate (also w/ a heart murmur) while under anesthetic being spayed & so there is worry. Can she be safely spayed?

Also, Her Rott has dry, itchy ears. The Ek-Triotic that worked wonders for my Bulli Scarlet did nothing. She has been using Bag Balm but it needs to be continous. Vet tests are inconclusive. What about Aloe Vera or Oatmeal or Tea Tree oil?

Thnx
:pawprint: )

Lucky Rescue
April 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I know someone who has a Red-Nose Pitt rescue w/ a heart murmur. She has already lost a littermate (also w/ a heart murmur) while under anesthetic being spayed & so there is worry. Can she be safely spayed?

What does the vet say? Does the dog in question also have a heart murmur, and if so, how bad is it?

The vet can tell her about the risks and about the safest kind of anesthetic to be used IF this dog also has this problem.

We have had animals with heart murmurs safely spayed before.

Rottielover
April 26th, 2006, 09:34 AM
As for the rott with Dry ears, are you sure that is all it is. Can it be allergies? fungas? a medical condition. I would have it seen by a vet to be sure and work from there

lm9012
April 26th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Definetely have the vet make the call. My little guy has a heart murmur. He was neutered and 2 months later was put under again for a teeth cleaning. The vet had recommended we wait those few months since he is under bigger risk with anesthesia than other dogs. However, my honey was just fine. But when we picked him up the doc said 'no more going under for this little guy, at least for a while!'
There is a bigger risk, but if your vet thinks its ok..they can do just fine going under..but it's their call.